Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Which cities have housing courts or civil courts that are not too hostile towards the landlord? Like what cities would landlords say they love to operate in if they have lousy tenants, whether they be for non-payment, illegal sublet, etc.

I have heard many cities are not so bad, and the judges are quite fair, reasonable and intelligent. NYC IS NOT SUCH A CITY. I was just in housing court today. And it is pretty routine. Tenant makes up lies, or excuses, the judge adjoins for another three to four weeks for the liars to get there stuff together. Next time, they make up some other excuse to not attend, judge give them another three to four weeks. Tenant makes up another lie, and judge gives them another three to four weeks to gather her "evidence". Next time, they come unprepared, and judge has to be "fair" and adjourn again.

Has anyone heard of something like this in another big city? How would you rank other major metros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
I would have to say that all cities would be fair including NYC.

Why !!!

"If" the LL is honest, takes pictures before and after, treats the tenants correctly and with respect even though you'll have to bite your lip with dealing with many of them and returns calls, then I don't see a problem.

Yes many tenants can be a pain but with the above and follow the laws in your state, you can't loose !!

The things that will "always" help the LL, will be communicating through emails and saving your phone records that show you did return their calls.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
If a city has set up a "housing" court, its all you need to know. It's hostile to landlords, especially small landlords. The bigger the city the worse it is. The more regulation there is, it only puts the burden on landlords, never tenants.

Designed mostly to drive out small landlords by big landlords and tenant groups. So it often makes a problem worse, or creates a problem where there wasn't one as small landlords move on to greener places or just quit.

The irony is: it drives the best landlords out of a place, and all you end up with are large landlords and management companies. And those companies are the ones that are often the worst landlords.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:19 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
I would have to say that all cities would be fair including NYC.

Why !!!

"If" the LL is honest, takes pictures before and after, treats the tenants correctly and with respect even though you'll have to bite your lip with dealing with many of them and returns calls, then I don't see a problem.

Yes many tenants can be a pain but with the above and follow the laws in your state, you can't loose !!

The things that will "always" help the LL, will be communicating through emails and saving your phone records that show you did return their calls.
Obviously, you have never been a landlord.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
If a city has set up a "housing" court, its all you need to know. It's hostile to landlords, especially small landlords. The bigger the city the worse it is. The more regulation there is, it only puts the burden on landlords, never tenants.

Designed mostly to drive out small landlords by big landlords and tenant groups. So it often makes a problem worse, or creates a problem where there wasn't one as small landlords move on to greener places or just quit.

The irony is: it drives the best landlords out of a place, and all you end up with are large landlords and management companies. And those companies are the ones that are often the worst landlords.
Perhaps, but I have spoken to many people in the biz from elsewhere than NYC, and they say evictions are much swifter, and no jerking around by the tenant or the judges.

NYC housing courts can jerk around LL for years honestly. They let the defendants get away with all sort of frauds, and delaying tactics.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Which cities have housing courts or civil courts that are not too hostile towards the landlord?
According to landlords in every city and state, their courts always favor the tenant. According to tenants in every city and state, their courts always favor the landlord. The belief of how a court favors a party is based on the oldest legal concept in the world: courts favor the wining side and is hostile to the losing side. It doesn't mater who is the landlord and who is the tenant, the loser always blames favoritism. That is just the reality of being a landlord.

I do not find NYC's Housing Courts any more lenient or stricter to one party or the other. I do find that many landlords in NYC are ignorant of the law and even more so of the rules of the court. I see many who simply underestimated the other side and get plain old bent out of shape when the other party is sharper.

You may get a judge who will grant for no reason but to give the tenant a fair shot, but after one delay for not being prepared, the objections and motions should squash any further delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals