Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

What is acceptable and unacceptable behavior on social media for associates in your firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:22 PM

86 posts, read 153,713 times
Not to my knowledge. I am sure they would say something though if one of us were making a fool of ourselves or the firm online though. I have taken it upon myself though to watch what I say online since I got my license though.. not that I writing bad stuff before though... just mostly refraining from talking politics, which is difficult, since that is what my education and previous working background is in.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
This is something agents should take into consideration. For FB, make your personal page private and have a business page for your professional*audience.

I had an agent that often wouldn't return calls...I soon figured about by going to her FB personal page, I could find what my agent was up to. When she wasn't returning calls, there would pictures of her drunk in Vegas, or other destinations. It was a great way to figure out I had hired an idiot, that really spent more time partying than working.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
My social media policy for my agents is don't be an idiot. My philosophy is that if I hire an agent like gray horse is talking about then my bad for not vetting them properly. Otherwise, I do my best to screen good, decent people. Good decent people have common sense. Since they have common sense, I see no need to have a serious policy.

If someone doesn't have the common sense to not make their FB page, Twitter, Instagram profiles private while they post drunken photos of themselves in Vegas, then they aren't right for my brokerage.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I see agents giving play-by-play of their current transactions, giving up confidential stuff that may compromise negotiations for their clients, belittling the agent on the other side of active transactions.

Fairly decent people doing mindless stuff. Policy needed.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
We don't have an official policy on social media. I don't post too much real estate things or other things which may compromise my reputation.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I see agents giving play-by-play of their current transactions, giving up confidential stuff that may compromise negotiations for their clients, belittling the agent on the other side of active transactions.

Neither I nor my agents post business stuff on their personal profiles. Business stuff goes on business pages and that goes to my "don't be an idiot" policy.

Sounds like those agents need training on fiduciary duties.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Quote:

My loser agent, did this on her professional page...talking about a multiple offer situation and how her clients "really wanted" the property. "Hello", as the seller I may go back and counter that buyer much higher than their offer. What a dip, I was speechless...and frankly had I been the buyer that she disclosed this about I would have filed a complaint.

Please folks, keep your negotiations private.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:41 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:

I was wondering about what policies are in place when it comes to FB. I know a woman who got into real estate last year, created her own professional FB page, but spends all her time posting other people's listings on not only her professional page, but her private one as well. She posts open houses for other realtors in her brokerage on her private FB page and invites her friends to come and visit them as if they were being invited to a party.

Do you foresee a crackdown on this at all or merely expecting people to self-regulate?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I was wondering about what policies are in place when it comes to FB. I know a woman who got into real estate last year, created her own professional FB page, but spends all her time posting other people's listings on not only her professional page, but her private one as well. She posts open houses for other realtors in her brokerage on her private FB page and invites her friends to come and visit them as if they were being invited to a party.

Do you foresee a crackdown on this at all or merely expecting people to self-regulate?

Somebody like that is going to get blocked/unfriended so fast . . . if you aren't posting interesting, engaging content, then you're basically wasting your time. I know few agents who do a stellar job at social media -- most post listings, a few self-congratulatory pats on the back when they sell, etc.

No crackdown needed -- her social circle will take care of that soon enough. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals