Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 PM

450 posts, read 507,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
In Florida, there is a disclaimer on the inspection report that it is prepared exclusively for the buyer/seller and not to be shared. Check that out before you go sharing with others unknowingly.
Maybe I'm dense, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Let's pretend I'm the buyer and you're the seller. I hire a pro to do an inspection and (s)he reports back that the roof has several leaks and needs to be repaired or better yet, replaced.

My buyer's agent should be able to advise me on my options. Do I cxl the offer to buy? Do I take it as-is? do I renegotiate?

If I hired the agent to advise me, then shouldn't I be able to show the inspection report to my agent and possibly even the seller's agent so that person can advise the seller on what to do?

"Full disclosure" is required. (I'm not saying the seller lied. Maybe the leaks started just after the last rain fall and there was no obvious evidence of it yet). Maybe it was only discovered after the inspector went up on the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Let's pretend I'm the buyer and you're the seller. I hire a pro to do an inspection and (s)he reports back that the roof has several leaks and needs to be repaired or better yet, replaced.

My buyer's agent should be able to advise me on my options. Do I cxl the offer to buy? Do I take it as-is? do I renegotiate?

If I hired the agent to advise me, then shouldn't I be able to show the inspection report to my agent and possibly even the seller's agent so that person can advise the seller on what to do?

"Full disclosure" is required. (I'm not saying the seller lied. Maybe the leaks started just after the last rain fall and there was no obvious evidence of it yet). Maybe it was only discovered after the inspector went up on the roof.
I can understand how you could misinterpret my post and I apologize. In Florida, some sellers will get a pre-sale inspection and buyers get inspections following an executed contract.

In my experience, if the buyer has an inspection and repairs are necessary, then what's needed is documented and delivered to the seller. The repairs may be completed by a licensed trade or the seller may renegotiate or give an allowance at closing, or either party may cancel the contract. It depends on many factors which way works best for both parties, type of financing, and of course...the house. Some inspectors will allow report sharing if asked. Most inspectors will allow sharing the summary page which is typically a high level overview. But in the case of an inspection for the buyer, there may be other items on the inspection report for the buyer exclusively such as, you may need to "INSERT ITEM HERE" in the next two years, or preventative maintenance items such as caulking and weather stripping.

There are many other factors but hopefully this made sense.

ETA: If, as in your example, the inspector notes problems with the roof, then a licensed roofer would be brought in to inspect and report findings to include repair or replacement costs.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-23-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Yet another it's different here question.

In CA, the contract even says specifically that any report that is done has to be furnished to the seller on written request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals