Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM

81 posts, read 232,589 times

Advertisements

Yep they surely do need more...just like they did before Jan. and I doubt they're taking a break
I'm not a Zillow cheerleader but if we are talking business plans and whose didn't work...I nominate Realtor.com/Move Inc/NAR

Business Plan?
Spencer Rascoff/Zillow has kicked butt since entering the fray (It's beginning) and imo I still haven't seen anything to suggest that's gonna change...
Business plan?
I think Zillows has proven to be a pretty good one...always "while they watch the right hand the left had is"
Speaking of which...how bout that Zillow Rental Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunespeak View Post
Yep they surely do need more...just like they did before Jan. and I doubt they're taking a break
I'm not a Zillow cheerleader but if we are talking business plans and whose didn't work...I nominate Realtor.com/Move Inc/NAR

Business Plan?
Spencer Rascoff/Zillow has kicked butt since entering the fray (It's beginning) and imo I still haven't seen anything to suggest that's gonna change...
Business plan?
I think Zillows has proven to be a pretty good one...always "while they watch the right hand the left had is"
Speaking of which...how bout that Zillow Rental Network
There is real money behind Move now:

Realtor.com launches all-out offensive in online listings war with Zillow | 2015-05-12 | HousingWire

But, frankly, I don't see how either platform and their jockeying really does consumers much favor.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:38 PM

I saw the article and their plan doesn't impress me because I do not think they've even come close to connecting to what resonates with the public the way Zillow has....that combined with a good business plan imo is why Zillow kicks butt...

"But, frankly, I don't see how either platform and their jockeying really does consumers much favor."

That's another topic..a third topic, an off topic to my off topic
I just saw you posted the question and wanted to annoy you but you're offering me a trifecta....thank you I think?

Were favors being done for them before
I'm one of those people who never thought and still don't think it's about doing favors for the consumer.
I think it's always been about agents and who gets their marketing money and the money of other advertisers/ect.
Who does the Prez call for housing advice lol and that kind of silly stuff

Last edited by dunespeak; 05-13-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

But, frankly, I don't see how either platform and their jockeying really does consumers much favor.
Oh Mike! Surely you know that Move/NAR is all about the service to the buying and selling public.

Oh wait, it might just be a trade organization trying to make it's members/users more coin in the bank.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Oh Mike! Surely you know that Move/NAR is all about the service to the buying and selling public.

Oh wait, it might just be a trade organization trying to make it's members/users more coin in the bank.
I think it has a great deal to do with News Corps. And Murdoch's ego.
Always ready for a scrap.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Well it was and still is interesting to watch, in fact for me it's reached a point of what no matter what my views are or what the views of others are on any topic the bottom line business wise and person wise is absolutely interesting...to me a least

Ya have Spencer Rascoff who no matter what anyone thinks about Zillow has proven he can take a company literally to where no one ever expected it to go....Zillow in 2008 and Zillow now?
Zillow Group...Zillow/Trulia/ActiveRain/Postlets and more

Gone from Realtor.com is #1 by mucho, Zillow is a joke in 2008 to
Spencer Rascoff (Zillow Group #1) vs. Rupert Murdoch ( News Corp/Move Inc/Realtor.com ect. )

Good show and I'll take Zillow

Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Zillow has a better business model. They have FSBO's on there, rentals, etc. It is one stop shopping for consumers. R.com will never have FSBO's on it and as a result, they can't command the market share that Zillow has. Zillow will always have agents, lenders, ec around because they need them to fund the site so consumers can access it for free.

I did a coming soon listing on Zillow per my seller's request. I have 20 people that have saved it as a favorite already and there have been lots of drive-bys of the home. The MLS doesn't have features like that where we could pre-market listings to the whole MLS like that so that you hit the market with maximum effectiveness.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 PM

The Plan:
"CNBC News Corp bought real estate listings website Move. Move, Inc. CEO Ryan O'Hara, discusses new branding for Realtor.com, and competition with Zillow, with CNBC's Diana Olick. Published May 13th 2015, 11:23 am"
Move takes on Zillow

Old 05-14-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Zillow has a better business model. They have FSBO's on there, rentals, etc. It is one stop shopping for consumers. R.com will never have FSBO's on it and as a result, they can't command the market share that Zillow has. Zillow will always have agents, lenders, ec around because they need them to fund the site so consumers can access it for free.

I did a coming soon listing on Zillow per my seller's request. I have 20 people that have saved it as a favorite already and there have been lots of drive-bys of the home. The MLS doesn't have features like that where we could pre-market listings to the whole MLS like that so that you hit the market with maximum effectiveness.
Coming Soon features may be market specific. We can do it, and agents and consumers can readily see those listings via MLS portal, IDX, and VOW. On last check, there were about 50 in my area.
I wonder if that may be an outgrowth of being a Realtor Association-owned MLS trying to comply aggressively with NAR MLS standards?
I currently have 3 Coming Soon listings being pre-marketed on TMLS and in syndication at this time, and another Coming Soon possibly coming soon. That is at no additional cost to clients. I don't have to pay and consider costs in my services for Zillow Platinum membership as the MLS delivers those features quite nicely within my dues fees.

One of the most common consumer complaints on Z is home ads showing For Sale when they have already sold, been withdrawn, under contract, etc. If Z cannot command significantly more than the 30% of the MLS market very quickly, and remains dependent on agents or sellers to manually enter and update ads for MLS listings, that complaint will continue to fester and grow.
I liked the ListHub syndication arrangement much better than manual input and maintenance of ads on Z. And, we are one of the MLSs that posts automatically to Z. That is a boon to Z, for sure.
One of my MLS listings Coming Soon has been saved by 19 Z buyers, and another ad by 5 Z buyers. At no additional cost to me or my clients.

FSBO ads?
Yep, Z takes them. But, the MLS still rules, and FSBO on MLS is exceedingly common to the point that I am considering offering that service. Here, the Z FSBO is much more of a niche market in comparison. I have almost no luck getting FSBO sellers on Z even to reply to inquiries for my clients.
And, my MLS offers land, rentals, multi-family, improved and unimproved commercial properties.

Sidebar:
"Coming Soon" is one of an MLSs worst enemies. Coming Soon corrupts the Days on Market Data, at least here. "Premarketing" for a few weeks, and selling in "Zero Days on Market" or "Before MLS entry" diminish the value of the MLS while harnessing the power of MLS membership.
Additionally, "Coming Soon" provokes consumers who don't know how to locate those listings, or have weak agents who don't know how to use the MLS. Coming Soon creates distrust as buyers have a sense of unfairness that the house they wanted to see went under contract in minutes, and before they knew about it.
Our MLS directors and staff need to update policy on how Coming Soon marketing is recorded. Until they do, agents will skirt the rules, or stay within them and right to the edge, and continue to corrupt data. But, for now, Coming Soon in this sellers' market is the hot game in town and sellers like it.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-14-2015 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
That's great that your MLS allows coming soon. We don't have that here. It would be nice to see what was coming on the market in hot markets so you can plan better with clients. My MLS has a rentals portion but no one uses it. They just added it around a year ago and our rental culture evolved without looking at them on the MLS so it is kind of a useless feature.

I can see that coming soon will impact DOM, but for sellers that are doing prep work and want to sell quickly, it is a good marketing tactic for them. I'm interested to see how the coming soon favorites on Z translate into showings for my listing.

I can see that for buyers that hire bad agents they will think something sinister happened with a coming soon listing, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure we should disallow features because someone hires an unqualified agent.

Out here the MLS only market is just under 2% of our market. The Zillow/Craiglist FSBO's are a much larger share. Honestly, Z makes it easy for me. I have local FSBO's email to me as they come up so I can see if there is something that will work for my buyer. For me as an agent, the MLS technology moves at the speed of molasses and has a bad user interface. I would love to go into Paragon and redesign my interface so that it is less clicky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals