Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is my question

You remodel or have a addition or some big repair or improvement has a warranty from the builder.

On a flip/remodel house is there legally a warranty period for the work? I mean when I was a contractor I had to give a warranty. In some cases some parts had a warranty well over my labor warranty. So if I had to go back I could replace stuff for only a labor charge.
So on a flip/remodel is the investor/seller not responsible in any way for the work?

I'm assuming like a private homeowner a "investor" is really In some cases a unlicensed contractor. Can't really hold him to it. What if he used licensed contractors? Is he in any way bound to give the buyer the contractor info for the warranty?

Would this be a good selling point where you for example, you are selling a remodel/flip and you used licensed contractors. Most contractors have a one year labor parts warranty. Would that be a selling point?

(No I'm not selling). I was asked by a friend who just remodeled )but is moving to Michigan for a new position) if it was a selling point. I thought yes but only if the owner/investor used a real licensed contractor otherwise I don't think it would make a difference.
Thanks

Ps just so it's understood im talking a fairly major remodel/work not caulking a bathtub or replacing a rotted wood siding panel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Lots of flips by LLCs, to try to evade personal responsibility and liability.

With the market turning towards sellers, and prices rising, I have seen a couple of recent flips where the lipstick on the pig was THICK.

Warranty? It's a dream. I think the warranty concept and attitude has to be baked in when the renovator purchases, prior to start of work. Afterwards, it is a crapshoot since no one knows what is under the surface all too often.

I love it, not, when I see a "renovated to the studs" listing, and get there and it has old Polybutylene pipe or a 60 amp entrance and aluminum branch circuits.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:29 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,230 times
The warranty is with the original customer, unless it states it is transferrable.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I love it, not, when I see a "renovated to the studs" listing, and get there and it has old Polybutylene pipe or a 60 amp entrance and aluminum branch circuits.
Translation - new drywall and paint as opposed to just new paint.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Default Specifics matter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok so here is my question

You remodel or have a addition or some big repair or improvement has a warranty from the builder.

On a flip/remodel house is there legally a warranty period for the work? State by state! I mean when I was a contractor I had to give a warranty The state licensing authority controls this too... In some cases some parts had a warranty well over my labor warranty. So if I had to go back I could replace stuff for only a labor charge.
So on a flip/remodel is the investor/seller not responsible in any way for the work?Almost certainly NO...

I'm assuming like a private homeowner a "investor" is really In some cases a unlicensed contractor. Can't really hold him to it.Yep What if he used licensed contractors?Warranty generally will not transfer... Is he in any way bound to give the buyer the contractor info for the warranty?

Would this be a good selling point where you for example, you are selling a remodel/flip and you used licensed contractors.Well, it won't be a negative, but it also opens a can of worms that I can discuss below Most contractors have a one year labor parts warranty. Would that be a selling point?See below...

(No I'm not selling). I was asked by a friend who just remodeled )but is moving to Michigan for a new position) if it was a selling point. I thought yes but only if the owner/investor used a real licensed contractor otherwise I don't think it would make a difference.
Thanks

Ps just so it's understood im talking a fairly major remodel/work not caulking a bathtub or replacing a rotted wood siding panel
There are two very big factors that any seller has to be aware of :

#1 Buyers like to believe they are getting a good deal.

#2 Buyers never want to imagine the seller living in the house, taking good care of the house or crummy care of the house, even the seller getting a good deal on the house back when it was purchased.

SO -- any discussion of who did work, how it was done, if it is warrantied or not is potentially going down a road that ultimately DOES NOT HELP THE SELLER! That said, if local custom is for other sellers to pay that couple of hundred bucks from a "home warranty company" then it MIGHT make sense to do this. The problem is that MOST real estate agents have come to HATE home warranty companies because they so often end up creating more hassles then they are worth.

My advice? STAGE THE PLACE LIKE IT IS A MODEL HOME! Maybe even hire a thorough home inspector to give check out everything. If ANYTHING is found on the report the seller can decide to address it, but unless the report comes back as honest and 100% "no issues of compliance / obsolescence / potential need for mainteance" (which basically will NEVER happen with a thorough inspection on even a BRAND NEW home..) you just do not want or need to "promise" or warranty anything UNLESS ALL THE COMPETITION IS DOING TOO!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
In Texas, all resale homes are sold "as is". There would be no warranty to the buyer from someone flipping because warranties, by law, are only required on brand new construction. Foundation warranties will typically transfer from the company who performed the work and roof warranties typically transfer, but how do you expect sheet rock, paint, flooring, and other companies to warrant their work beyond the person they installed it for? Hardwood floors typically have a manufacturers warranty, but that wouldn't effect labor costs if they needed to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals