Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something. I understand (to a degree) that a Realtor can't directly answer questions about how "good" a neighborhood is, or the demographics or the quality of schools.

EXCEPT they do that exact thing here on CD. And many Realtors use their real names, and nearly all have links to their home pages. So how do they get around the legalities when they answer these question on a public forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:44 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I don't believe that would be true. As Silverfall says, it's about the house and not about the people.

If someone asks about good schools, the question needs to be what makes a school good.

If some asks is Willow Springs a better neighborhood than Springs Willow, the same questions need answered. What makes a neighborhood good?

All of that is subjective.

I know housing, real estate contracts, contract negotiations, mortgage people, types of loans, contractors, inspectors, community centers, traffic patterns. I do not know demographics, crime statistics or sex offenders statistics.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:50 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm curious about something. I understand (to a degree) that a Realtor can't directly answer questions about how "good" a neighborhood is, or the demographics or the quality of schools.

EXCEPT they do that exact thing here on CD. And many Realtors use their real names, and nearly all have links to their home pages. So how do they get around the legalities when they answer these question on a public forum?
Well, I will answer that in generic terms. Like in my area south and west areas of the cities generally have the higher rated schools and are generally more desirable on resale. That is a true statement. You can go on the Dept of Ed website for my state and see that these schools have higher ratings. So I think it depends on how specific you go and what you say. I don't answer demographic questions unless someone is asking about 55+ communities.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Good is subjective. How the buyer defines good is what matters.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 25,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I think you can ask about good schools, does anyone else have ways of asking?

Can you ask if there are a lot of rental buildings in the areas or homes that rent to Section 8?

What can and cant' be asked, what ways are there to get around those specific questions not allowed?
By law, we can not persuade clients based upon notions such as "good areas" "crime free areas." It's better to ask about school systems. When you do that we as agents can refer to do simple googles that have school grading system. As a proper sleuth many times there's a correlation between the community and school systems. Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 5,922 times
The beginning of this thread really scared me. So glad some of you guys spoke up and straightened it out. It was starting to look like a tester's wet dream.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I am amazed at how many Realtors answer questions without thinking of Fair Housing Laws, protected classes, etc. A buyer should be thinking about neighborhood qualities, demographic data, school data, etc., but since these can be very subjective, Realtors are not supposed to "steer" you one direction or another. We should point you to the answers via census data, school websites, police websites, etc.

What makes a great school for you might be test scores while someone else may be based on their special needs programs or sports/music programs. I think a buyer should be concerned about the resources a school has to offer since it is up to the student and their family to utilize the resources. I could send my sons to Harvard or Yale, but if they aren't going to take the time to study, they won't get much of an education no matter how well the schools are rated. Conversely, a horribly rated school could provide access to Khan Academy to supplement their math and science departments and the student can go at their own pace.

I tell people who ask about what type of people live in the neighborhood to go hang out where the local people shop (not the mall or the big box stores since they are magnets pulling in people from all over). Go enjoy the local park and see if you can picture yourself there. If so, you are in the right neighborhood.

Hope this helps!
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals