Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So an absolute auction is the concensus?
An absolute auction would get rid of it...but I doubt you'd be happy with the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
I know the market is slow, but I've just about concluded that my house is simply unsellable "at it's current price."
If you want to sell reduce the price.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Going down another $5k today. Just seems to me that these realtors should be trying SOMETHING else. No open houses; not even an agents' open house. Flyers posted in the local Mexican restaurants? Anything!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
But how low can you go on an obviously very nice house ....
That's up to you. Buyers don't care about the reason, they care about the sales price. Plus I'd say you won't be suspicious since you're currently overpriced anyway.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

I do think the disconnect is between the value of the house as it would be if it sat in any one of several other neighborhoods with similar houses ...
This ^^^ does not matter because it is not reality.

Quote:

I guess "location, location, location" still rules.
Yes, it does, because as you now know, that is the one thing no one can change about a house.

So you change the thing you are in control of: the PRICE.

Publicize it anywhere you feel like your agent is not: Craigslist, your Facebook friends, any other online resources.

But price is the deciding factor here.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
An auction may not be the best thing in your situation -- we've worked with auction companies, and the amount of money you have to pay up front for marketing expenses may not be workable in your situation. Granted, we were working with multi-million $ homes, but they still have marketing costs to cover and they aren't going to do it for free. Plus, most auction companies don't like selling with a reserve (i.e., setting a minimum price) as they believe it inhibits the market.

So, I guess the question is: Do you HAVE to sell, or do you just WANT to sell? Without getting personal, if you have to sell, you may just have to take your lumps and put it behind you and move on. If you are just WANTING to sell, or can't sell below a certain price, then it may be time to just sit on it for a bit and hope for better neighbors or hope their kids grow up and move out.

They may be trashy -- but is there anything low-cost that can be done to spruce up their house that you'd be willing to do? i.e., pay to send the kids to the movies during a showing? Offer to cut their grass, trim their bushes, plant some flowers between you two? Can you install semi-transparent shades on that side to block the view, but let in the light? Can you schedule showings for when there are fewest people next door (parents at work, kids at day care, etc.)? Just trying to think of work-arounds. If you wanted to hold an open house, I swear, I'd send the entire family to the movies during that time -- it may cost $100, but it may be $100 well spent (get the tickets at Costco. :-)

The fact that you're the nicest house in the neighborhood is not working in your favor. Old adage is "never buy the nicest house in the neighborhood, the rest of the neighborhood will tend to pull down your value." Location, etc. :-)

I'm sorry you're at the mercy of your neighbors at this point. It's not fair, but it's often a huge stumbling block.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:25 AM

It's not only their property, but their behavior or lifestyle. Without getting too politically incorrect, at the end of the day, it's a different culture, and they maintain different standards. Even after calling the police about the all-night parties on the front lawn, the attempted slaying of a goat, and becoming best friends with code enforcement, not much can improve it. If you're very liberal-minded -- or from the same region -- you might not mind it. I wouldn't so much if I weren't trying to sell. But most buyers will and do. We don't "need" to sell it (thank heavens), but I'm leaving town in a couple of years and want this behind me. I have another property in another part of town which is currently sitting empty and to which I'm anxious to relocate. On the other hand, I can see the co-owner happily content to wait indefinitely for a miracle. I can't see the owner of the house next door selling, as he bought the place for a song and it serves a useful purpose (his restaurant employees, upon arriving here [if you know what I mean], stay there, as does whatever family member -- in a huge family -- needs a place). He's actually moved from our local *gated community* to a McMansion he's building in the country and is opening a third restaurant, so I can't him needing/wanting to sell it. And on the other side, we have a vacant house; owners walked away from the mortgage, it didn't sell while on the market, the listing has expired, and I hear it's going to foreclosure. Plus, the kids keep pulling up our sign. Very demoralizing.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Going down another $5k today.
Have you still not contacted the local property managers and owners groups?
Stop playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k

Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Yes; no one's interested.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
It's not only their property, but their behavior or lifestyle. Without getting too politically incorrect, at the end of the day, it's a different culture, and they maintain different standards. Even after calling the police about the all-night parties on the front lawn, the attempted slaying of a goat, and becoming best friends with code enforcement, not much can improve it. If you're very liberal-minded -- or from the same region -- you might not mind it. I wouldn't so much if I weren't trying to sell. But most buyers will and do. We don't "need" to sell it (thank heavens), but I'm leaving town in a couple of years and want this behind me. I have another property in another part of town which is currently sitting empty and to which I'm anxious to relocate. On the other hand, I can see the co-owner happily content to wait indefinitely for a miracle. I can't see the owner of the house next door selling, as he bought the place for a song and it serves a useful purpose (his restaurant employees, upon arriving here [if you know what I mean], stay there, as does whatever family member -- in a huge family -- needs a place). He's actually moved from our local *gated community* to a McMansion he's building in the country and is opening a third restaurant, so I can't him needing/wanting to sell it. And on the other side, we have a vacant house; owners walked away from the mortgage, it didn't sell while on the market, the listing has expired, and I hear it's going to foreclosure. Plus, the kids keep pulling up our sign. Very demoralizing.
There is a limit to how many people of families can live in a home in most towns, find out what it is and call code enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals