Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM

342 posts, read 717,215 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question for the realtors. We will be listing our townhouse soon. Five years ago we discovered some major construction defects. We had them fixed - and know we fixed them correctly - used a well respected engineer, a construction firm that specialized in this type of work and a master plumber. I know we have to disclose this and wondered how much this would scare people off, even though we know it's been fixed properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,610 times
It's hard to say not knowing what the defect is.............or, was.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM

townhouse was built on a slab - the slab failed due to building defects - and also broke most of the pipes in the unit. New piping was put in and the slab replaced as well as the substructure underneath it.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,610 times
Was there water damage as a result? I think this will effect your final selling price even with the repairs but I don't know about your specific market conditions. One of the problems is that it is a town home so there are other similar units around you that one could buy without the risk of a recurring problem

Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

there was no water damage - the pipes that broke were sewer pipes - raw sewerage collected underneath the slab (what a nightmare). Obviously, it was pumped out. The engineer recommended not replacing the slab - we now have steel i-beams with wooden floor joists - there is no danger of the problem recurring the way the engineer designed the new plan.

We do have one of the largest units in the development with one of the best views and it is an end unit - it is completely updated - kitchen is 3 years old - new bathrooms, hardwood floors. We do plan to price it a bit below other units for sale, even though ours is larger and in better condition than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals