Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 863 times

Advertisements

Hi Estate Agents

I'm an app developer, exploring pain points around phone usage within the real estate industry. Do you think voicemail is the optimal solution to a missed call?

Alternative solutions solutions I can think of...
- presenting caller with option to see your current location you are when you can't take the call
- an automated service that lets callers browse for gaps in your online calendar to schedule a viewing

Are you satisfied with the current solutions around voicemail and missed calls?

Regards
Willem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
FWIW, voicemail works just fine for me and I never thought of it as anything that needed improvement. In my message, I tell callers that they can text me as an alternative to leaving a message.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:53 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Voicemail sucks. I had a realtor who, every time I called, I got the "voice mail inbox" full message. Honestly I think she was just passive aggressive, and I finally got rid of her.

I exclusively use email or texting, to have that "paper" trail. Email is more reliable than texting.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:33 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
No way do I want callers to know where I am. It's none of their business. If I tell someone I'm on "an appointment", I don't need them to see my appt might be coaching my son's t-ball team. And I don't keep a calendar as each day is different, and it's no one's business what my day looks like except my own.

He!l to the NO would I use an app like you're suggesting.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
willem, this may already exist...don't know...but I think I might find an app that would work like this useful: I get a voicemail or I finish a phone call. I touch one icon next to the call or VM record and I can then dictate a note that goes to their file or alternatively create a calendar event...all by talking. Then, when I sync, I'd like all of that to sync to my Outlook, or the Cloud, or Google, etc. This is just off the top of my head. I use iPhone, btw.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No way do I want callers to know where I am. It's none of their business. If I tell someone I'm on "an appointment", I don't need them to see my appt might be coaching my son's t-ball team. And I don't keep a calendar as each day is different, and it's no one's business what my day looks like except my own.

He!l to the NO would I use an app like you're suggesting.

This. Voice mail is fine, and yes, I advise that they can text me. But I'm not crazy about anyone who calls me being able to see where I am (who on earth ever thought that kind of thing is a good idea?), not just for the reason that FalconheadWest gave but for security reasons.

And my calendar can change from minute to minute - I might have on there that I'm showing houses and suddenly be back in the office writing a contract because one of the houses was "the one".

Person to person contact, even via voicemail/email/text, is much better and fits in more with our business which is, after all, a "people business".

Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
I use Google voice for my real estate business, and I really like that when a voice mail is left, it is dictated and emailed to me. So I can see who called and what the message was without having to listen to the voice mail message. Very convenient.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I love Google Voice! I can get voicemails transcribed for me to return while I am out or in a class.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:58 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I wouldn't use an app like that. Real estate isn't like getting a haircut. It is extremely fluid, and I can't have clients booking time on their own because I might need to go run a HUD document somewhere and I don't book that time on my calendar. I just mentally do it after such and such appointment. It would be insanely time consuming to have to create appointments for all of those errands, like removing a lockbox, dropping off an earnest money check, etc, to avoid having a client book that time online.

No caller needs to see where I am. That's creepy.

My clients know that text and email is the best way to get a hold of me so I get few phone calls. Ring Central emails me any messages from my business line so everything is on my cell. It's just not that complicated.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Security is a huge thing. That's also why I won't use FourSquare or "check in" on facebook. People don't need to know when I'm not home as I don't need them thinking they can come break into my house and help themselves to whatever because they know I'm 30 minutes away showing houses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals