U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 years old thinking about doing real estate. My buddy is killing it but he is 27, I am concerned about my age and people judging me because I am so young. The median age of real estate is 57. I live in Dallas and I have been reading about real estate. I need advice on if this is a good choice for me since I am so young but I feel like my professionalism will make up for it. comments please
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 PM

153 posts, read 181,623 times
Go for it. Sure, some people may be judgmental, but most will be not. The longer you wait to do it, the harder it is to do, because no matter how old you are when you start, the first year or two is tough on the wallet. Better to get those out of the way when you are young and have fewer bills and responsibilities.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,508,144 times
Become well educated on the market and know your business. Look professional. Act professional. Use your language skills to tap markets that others cannot. Work hard. Those things can overcome age. But remember that despite working hard, it takes a couple years to get your business going.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 PM

24,207 posts, read 17,109,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Become well educated on the market and know your business. Look professional. Act professional. Use your language skills to tap markets that others cannot. Work hard. Those things can overcome age. But remember that despite working hard, it takes a couple years to get your business going.
Good advice - being bilingual will be a big asset but it will still take hard work to become successful. Try to get a job working in an agent's office so you start to learn as you study to take the exam.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Thank you guys for the comments and encouragement. Is there any books you guys would recommend reading and I am not talking about books to prepare me for the exam but books that maybe helped you in your real estate career.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:22 PM

And also what are some good ways to generate business? I know my pipeline is the first step but after that is there any suggestions that have worked for yourself personally?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:18 AM

8 posts, read 24,459 times
I agree with SeanWalker, for the first year ,you will have some problem ,you should try to WIN public opinion.
Also you can create a real estate websites. these days websites more effective.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 PM

121 posts, read 165,945 times
Check out the book "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller. It's basically always the first recommended book for new agents.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:29 AM

8,422 posts, read 21,691,111 times
Look at your buddy......25 - 30 is the median age for first time buyers. Everyone he knew in school and whoever he worked with in his past is his database. Starting TODAY, everyone you come into contact with is your future database. Start taking a extra minute with each contact, don't even mention real estate, just ask a couple questions and spend more time listening to people. People will remember you as someone that was interested. Exchange numbers, build your FB and Linked in contacts while you explore real estate. The worst thing that will happen is you will make additional contacts for whatever you decide to do.

It is unrealistic to expect to get your license and the next day to start selling on your own. Someone will be looking for a bilingual addition to their team - learn the ropes working for someone else. Have an alternate means of making money or live with family while you get established.

You are at a great age to jump into the business and if you stick with it, you could be crushing it, but it won't be overnight. But, inside a decade, heck, even five years, you could easily be not only self supporting, but earning a nice living. Age has nothing to do with the trust of others. Dress and speak as you would trust someone else. Look in the mirror critically every time you go out in public, smacking gum or a cigarette hanging out of your mouth does not inspire trust with the most important purchase of someone's lifetime. My oldest son has a knack for RE and a large sphere to work and we have discussed many times getting into the fray. But life keeps getting in the way....lol spouse's and kids have a way of diverting your attention. Get established now and the rest will follow.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM

These comments are awesome guys I really appreciate it. I used to be a used car salesman but I left the business because I hated making other people rich while I got the bread crumbs and the managers breathing down your neck and the insane hours. I feel like if I was able to sell used cars then ill be able to sell homes and property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals