Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times

Advertisements

I just received this from someone in an email, and it's so full of truths that I had to share it. It does lead into an advertisement for some business but you don't have to go beyond the brief 90 second story.

You Cant Send a Duck to Eagle School Movie - WTT

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I just received this from someone in an email, and it's so full of truths that I had to share it. It does lead into an advertisement for some business but you don't have to go beyond the brief 90 second story.

You Cant Send a Duck to Eagle School Movie - WTT

Enjoy

That is blog fodder if I have ever seen it!

Here's my latest favorite:
WellcomeMat Video - I am not a lead - Oakland, CA 94619

Again, a lead in to an ad, but I think it's great stuff for the Web 2.0 agent.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
That's a good one Mike

Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,594,667 times
That was great!!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times
Agree with the second, but thought the first one carried a heavier message..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Agree with the second, but thought the first one carried a heavier message..
Hmmmm.... I am investing a fair amount of money in my strong belief in the weight of the Web 2.0 message in the second video, which exemplifies portions of the first video.
A la, "Customer service is not a Department, but an attitude."

From the first, I also liked, "If you chase two rabbits, both will get away."

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Second link is good, first one is weak. Any professional development "guru" who starts out with "I had lunch with a top executive or Fortune 500 CEO blah blah blah....." turns me off. It reminds me of those silly posters some people still have on their walls with "ATTITUDE", "LEADERSHIP", etc.. Cheesy. No offense Captain Bill.

Here's a good real estate sales motivation video:

YouTube - Alec Baldwin - Glengarry Glen Ross
(vulgar language)

Classic.

Last edited by magellan; 01-25-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 01:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
As someone who wants to hire a real estate agent, that video was disturbing. I do not want to be salespeople's prey.

I tried to work as a salesperson about 9 years ago. I stank at it. I first tried baby photographs, since I was interested in photography. I hated it and didn't do well. I then switched to selling life insurance at a local office of a well-known company.

The highest performers in the office got fired for I don't know what. I think it had to do with legal issues. Another high performer was under investigation. Another bragged that she got people to pay for life insurance by giving up their health insurance. She said she told people that no hospital would turn them away if they got sick. To this day I don't know if she was being unscrupulous or just ignorant. I told my sales manager about it. He said he would talk to her. I think she is a sales manager today.

Although most of the people I met seemed honorable, I remember one sales manager teaching a class and saying that you don't sell what is best for the client. You sell what will give you the best commission.

I ended up leaving and returning to social work. Lousy money, but at least I can feel good about what I am doing. And I can be effective at doing it.

I am looking for a real estate agent who will be in my corner. So far almost everyone I have spoken to has turned me off with their patronizing speech, pushiness, abrasiveness or controlling behavior. I think I have found a good buyer's agent in Vermont, but here in Brooklyn, it seems there is hardly anyone who is honorable or who puts the client first.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Second link is good, first one is weak. Any professional development "guru" who starts out with "I had lunch with a top executive or Fortune 500 CEO blah blah blah....." turns me off. It reminds me of those silly posters some people still have on their walls with "ATTITUDE", "LEADERSHIP", etc.. Cheesy. No offense Captain Bill.

Here's a good real estate sales motivation video:

YouTube - Alec Baldwin - Glengarry Glen Ross
(vulgar language)

Classic.

The oddest thing about that clip is that grown men would tolerate being talked to in that tone.

I worked with a home improvement sales manager whom I liked.
He once told me how they beat up on him at Monday Sales meetings, with regular profanity and belittlement like Alec Baldwin used in Glengarry Glen Ross.
I said, "Jeff, What kind of man are you? You know what they call women who take money for letting men talk dirty to them?"
I like to think I offered him a positive intervention to encourage action to improve himself.

A week or two later he quit. Good move. Scummy company.
I found out when I called him to tell him I quit. He said, "Well... I quit last night."
We had a good laugh.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-26-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
As someone who wants to hire a real estate agent, that video was disturbing. I do not want to be salespeople's prey.

I tried to work as a salesperson about 9 years ago. I stank at it. I first tried baby photographs, since I was interested in photography. I hated it and didn't do well. I then switched to selling life insurance at a local office of a well-known company.

The highest performers in the office got fired for I don't know what. I think it had to do with legal issues. Another high performer was under investigation. Another bragged that she got people to pay for life insurance by giving up their health insurance. She said she told people that no hospital would turn them away if they got sick. To this day I don't know if she was being unscrupulous or just ignorant. I told my sales manager about it. He said he would talk to her. I think she is a sales manager today.

Although most of the people I met seemed honorable, I remember one sales manager teaching a class and saying that you don't sell what is best for the client. You sell what will give you the best commission.

I ended up leaving and returning to social work. Lousy money, but at least I can feel good about what I am doing. And I can be effective at doing it.

I am looking for a real estate agent who will be in my corner. So far almost everyone I have spoken to has turned me off with their patronizing speech, pushiness, abrasiveness or controlling behavior. I think I have found a good buyer's agent in Vermont, but here in Brooklyn, it seems there is hardly anyone who is honorable or who puts the client first.
I feel bad about your dilemma.
You could take me off the list here in Cary, NC, and I could easily refer you to a couple of dozen agents who would take great care of you. They aren't hard to find.

But, since agents are often compared to car salesmen, I present a couple of my favorite car sales videos. They are from a local advertising campaign, and absolutely lampoon high-pressure sales people.
I love them, but remember working with some Home Improvement sales guys who resemble the Badger.

Substitute "house" for "car" ??????:

Badger, Credit Report

Kapowie!

This one fits with the rainy night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals