Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know from other threads, I find myself in a real pickle. My wonderful house on what was formerly the nicest street in a formerly desirable neighborhood is on the market. Unfortunately, it's also on a shared driveway with the worst house possibly in the entire town. For fear of once again being accused of political incorrectness, I will refrain from specifics, but let's just say that these neighbors take "trashy" to a whole new level with infractions that aren't even ordinances on the existing books because... Who does that???

Anyway, after a year of calling the police and city code enforcement and getting nowhere (you fix one thing, and they come up with something else), I suggested to our second in what will probably be a long line of realtors -- after eight months with only seven showings (most initially interested parties don't get past the drive-by) -- I complained about the... Well, so as not to slur any one group of people, let's just say "idiosyncrasies" that I believe are making my house undesirable and that it might be wise to now think about targeting a particular audience or group of potential buyers, that being members of the same ethnocentric demographic who wouldn't mind the cultural differences -- who might even enjoy and embrace them -- but one with the financial means to actually buy a house.

It does, at this point, seem to be my only hope. And I did use the "M" word, which is merely factual.

That launched my (former) realtor into a diatribe on my "offensive racist" attitude that I felt was wildly inappropriate and didn't appreciate one bit. Not only is it not helpful or empathetic (adding insult to injury), his PC denial makes him not very savvy about marketing this property, obviously... He gone...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Thoughts?
You are mistaken you are the rude one, and that letter may be pointing back in your direction.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:02 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Realtors job is to insult their clients, right?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Smart agent. Maybe a bit dramatic, but smart.
No chance I would be seen as steering a listing to an ethnic group.

1. It is wrong.
2. It is illegal because it is wrong.

That is about all I need to know to deter me.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Sounds like you came across wrong to this agent. If your neighborhood is multicultural perhaps a multilingual realtor would be a good idea. Or have you considered listing and marketing the house yourself?

Just saw the post above from Mike--this idea differs because it says to make sure to include ALL cultural groups in the buyer-pool.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Oh, yes, that wonderful house that hasn't been updated in decades and has been sitting way overpriced in a buyer's market for months and months.

And based on your prior posts about this house, someone saying you are racist is making an accurate factual statement. Thoughts? I guess try to find a more racist real estate agent who agrees with your marketing strategy?

Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
If it's illegal, that's all he had to say (sans the lecture). Too bad, because it might just work.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-17-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 11:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There is BIG DIFFERENCE between seeking a real estate agent that has the skills to market your home to the widest range of potential buyers, that very well might INCLUDE folks that would appreciate dealing with a native speaker of their first language that might not be English and OTOH suggesting to "steer" buyers of a particular racial / ethnic background toward your property. One of these actions is CLEARLY a violation of fair housing laws and for all a potential listing agent knows you could be trying to set them up for a FEDERAL Fair Housing violation / sting...

Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Wow, good that agent to stand up to a racist like you. Trashy is trashy, race is irrelevant. The house isn't selling because it's overpriced. You need to just accept that 1-You're either coming off as a racist or you are racist (or both) and 2-the house isn't selling because it's overpriced.

If you want to sell lower the price. You can't target a race, that's illegal. I'm glad that there was a good agent that stood up to you.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
..... I guess try to find a more racist real estate agent who agrees with your marketing strategy?
OP:
You may want to find those guys in the sheets and pillow cases over their heads... they even carry Bibles!... or is it crosses? They may even invite you to one of their cookouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals