Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,310 times

Advertisements

$30k bonus to the buyer's agent who can bring a full priced offer on a home that is $400k overpriced at $1.7M.

That's what the listing agent wrote.

You'd have to be a big sleazeball to try to convince/push your buyer to overpay by $400k.

I can't understand why some listing agents think this works.
This is such a backward tactic. The only way you'd get someone to pay full price on an overpriced home is if you drugged him and then brainwashed him into thinking he actually wanted the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,630,007 times
Another problem is if it's not cash the appraisal won't allow you to get a loan for that much. It's a dumb strategy.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,922,544 times
Maybe the home is not technically overpriced, but has a unique feature that only rare buyers will make use of. For example an interior gym and swimming pool, or a home hospital suite, or something else fairly bizarre.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,076,346 times
so take your client who has $1.3MM to spend and the home works for and write a full price offer with $400K of various concessions. Have you not met the terms of the listing agent's offer, and are due your $30K? Heck, write the full price offer, no concessions, give them $10K in earnest money and worst case walk away from the deal and still collect your $30K, netting $20K

Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,268,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so take your client who has $1.3MM to spend and the home works for and write a full price offer with $400K of various concessions. Have you not met the terms of the listing agent's offer, and are due your $30K? Heck, write the full price offer, no concessions, give them $10K in earnest money and worst case walk away from the deal and still collect your $30K, netting $20K
GOOD TRY....but i'm sure the seller agent won't pay the 30k unless and until the sale is finalized...

Old 07-23-2015, 01:13 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,076,346 times
It all depends on what they've said.

Of course, the INTENT would be "a full price Contract that closes".

Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 AM

442 posts, read 588,516 times
We have one town in the market I work where a $10,000 bonus is somewhat routine (median sales price: $650k, most of the bonuses are on homes of $2m plus). Years ago before I was a realtor, my agent convinced me to offer a small bonus ($2,000) to the selling agent and we didn't get anything out of it. Yes, $2,000 isn't the same as $10,000 or $30,000, but I still think the buyer chooses the home — we don't really "sell" them anything. And if you're "selling" your buyer on a home that isn't what they want, you're doing them a disservice.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

In my state, commissions are not owed until the sale is closed. That's what it says on the standard contract we all use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
We have one town in the market I work where a $10,000 bonus is somewhat routine (median sales price: $650k, most of the bonuses are on homes of $2m plus). Years ago before I was a realtor, my agent convinced me to offer a small bonus ($2,000) to the selling agent and we didn't get anything out of it. Yes, $2,000 isn't the same as $10,000 or $30,000, but I still think the buyer chooses the home — we don't really "sell" them anything. And if you're "selling" your buyer on a home that isn't what they want, you're doing them a disservice.
exactly.
you'd need a buyer rich and dumb.

I just laugh at the bonus. The only people who would pay that much in my town are Chinese, and even they're not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Maybe the home is not technically overpriced, but has a unique feature that only rare buyers will make use of. For example an interior gym and swimming pool, or a home hospital suite, or something else fairly bizarre.
in this case there is no maybe. ~180 days on the market
typically a house that is really worth 1.7m would sell within that time. $1.7m homes are a dime a dozen here.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM

8,643 posts, read 22,792,393 times
If my agent didn't tell me this listing had something hinky going on when showing it to me, my alarms would be on alert about my agent. If they didn't notice it, they either were not familiar with the market, or, they didn't read what they were showing me. Most agents I've worked with recognize the addresses or house photo right off, or, if they did not know the property, they would immediately start checking it out beyond the MLS. I guess this is the rather wordy way of saying, I would have 2nd thoughts if the agent just read the listing as we approached the home. (Did that make sense? Low caffeine intake point)

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,118,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
If my agent didn't tell me this listing had something hinky going on when showing it to me, my alarms would be on alert about my agent. If they didn't notice it, they either were not familiar with the market, or, they didn't read what they were showing me. Most agents I've worked with recognize the addresses or house photo right off, or, if they did not know the property, they would immediately start checking it out beyond the MLS. I guess this is the rather wordy way of saying, I would have 2nd thoughts if the agent just read the listing as we approached the home. (Did that make sense? Low caffeine intake point)
On my MLS printouts it would be very easy to overlook a buyer's agent bonus if it wasn't noted in the agent remarks. I couldn't even tell you the commission being offered on the last ten properties I showed. Knowing the compensation offered seems to me to have nothing to do with market knowledge or did I miss something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals