Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:55 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
i have a full time job, but as a back up and to generate some additional income, i'm studying to get my license.

a couple of questions:

1) what's the best way to find a broker willing to provide part time (contractor) employment? (cold call?)

2) any other advice for someone just starting out?

thanks!

i'm in my early 30s. sufficient emergency funds. own a couple of rentals as well as my primary residence. been renting out my places for the past 11 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
forget the part time job - buy more rentals.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hi everyone,
i have a full time job, but as a back up and to generate some additional income, i'm studying to get my license.

a couple of questions:

1) what's the best way to find a broker willing to provide part time (contractor) employment? (cold call?)

2) any other advice for someone just starting out?

thanks!

i'm in my early 30s. sufficient emergency funds. own a couple of rentals as well as my primary residence. been renting out my places for the past 11 years or so.
The last thing this industry needs is more part-time agents.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
how do you foresee using your license to generate additional income? selling one or two homes/year? buying rentals and getting paid as a Buyer's Agent? holding open Houses for other agents?

since you mention it "part-time contractor employment" - you are aware that real estate agents are paid strictly when a home sells, and not any wage, right?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
how do you foresee using your license to generate additional income? selling one or two homes/year? buying rentals and getting paid as a Buyer's Agent? holding open Houses for other agents?

since you mention it "part-time contractor employment" - you are aware that real estate agents are paid strictly when a home sells, and not any wage, right?
Agreed..

I've thought about getting my own license a few years ago and concluded that it's not really worth the trouble. Instead, I just surround myself with the professional and let them do the work for me.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. I plan on putting in 10-20 hrs a week (including weekends) selling properties. Also, I plan on using my license to purchase discounted properties (good finds) and purchasing them myself with cash....then turning around and selling them. At least that's the vision.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
how do you plan to find these properties? Access to the MLS (an additional fee)? Zillow or other aggregators? Using your brokerage's consumer search functionality?

When you're flipping homes, who will do the construction work for you? Or are you talking about a "we buy homes" wholesale gig where you immediately sell a home you bought at a steep discount?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
how do you plan to find these properties? Access to the MLS (an additional fee)? Zillow or other aggregators? Using your brokerage's consumer search functionality?

When you're flipping homes, who will do the construction work for you? Or are you talking about a "we buy homes" wholesale gig where you immediately sell a home you bought at a steep discount?
That was my thought actually....but i think i need to research a bit more and find better ideas perhaps.
I was thinking that working part time for a broker, working 10-20 hrs a week and selling maybe 1 or 2 houses a month (??) would net around 1-3k a month in income on average.

I hope i'm not being TOTALLY unrealistic in my expectations. and of course, i do realize that maybe for the first few months, that amount will be closer to $0 given the learning curve that i'm sure i'll have to endure.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
It's pretty unrealistic to think you will sell 1-2 houses a month as a part-time agent UNLESS you have a very large sphere of influence willing to work with you during your limited hours or unless you are buying and reselling these 1-2 homes a month yourself.

Markets are different, but all of the part-time agents I knew were lucky to have 3-4 closings in a year.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's pretty unrealistic to think you will sell 1-2 houses a month as a part-time agent UNLESS you have a very large sphere of influence willing to work with you during your limited hours or unless you are buying and reselling these 1-2 homes a month yourself.

Markets are different, but all of the part-time agents I knew were lucky to have 3-4 closings in a year.
Ok, thanks for the reality check, and thinking about it more as i write this, i can see how you're almost certainly right.
from the 3-4 closings a year mentioned, the commission will probably be higher than 1-3k however, given that in Northern VA, houses start around 400k, condos at 200k, and townhouses around 300k in the area i'll be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals