Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:31 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I'm thrilled to death, but just want to make sure nothing goes sour, as the inspection and transfer of the remaining earnest funds has not occurred yet. The remaining earnest funds will be transferred upon the end of the client-attorney approval period.
Have you already made an earnest money deposit? Generally, there needs to be consideration in order for a contract to be valid. (Consideration is not always money--but that's the easiest to show).

As long as you have a valid contract you have little to worry about--provided you can keep up your end of the bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Here, the seller can definitely accept a backup offer, negotiating it to a backup Contract.
However, your current contract would be Primary and enforceable, as long as all signatures and initials were completed, and the seller cannot just toss it for a better offer.
If you would terminate for any reason, the Backup Contract would become Primary, without the house ever going back onto Active status on the MLS.
Great explanation. This is how it works in our market.

A few years ago we were the back-up offer on a house I wanted SO badly. Even though our price was higher, the primary offer had NO contingencies, not even an inspection contingency. I kept hoping and praying SOMETHING would fall through, but our agent kept telling me that the primary contract, as signed, was pretty ironclad.

So even though we offered more, because they had a signed contract with NO contingencies, the first folks got the house because they were first.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
Yes, I think my question has been answered, and we did given an initial portion of the earnest money ($1K) and we will provide the rest of the $14K upon the end of the client-attorney approval period (after all inspection contingencies have been met). I really really want his house, with the exception of the fact that it might burn down or cave in. Let's hope it's got decent bones!

Last edited by twodoor2; 09-18-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times
My lawyer just told me they cannot accept other offers. I haven't been able to get in touch with her for two days, so I was worried. Thanks for all your responses.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
who is your agent? none? the listing agent? I'd be shocked in any state that a seller cannot accept a backup offer. as has been stated pretty clearly, the seller can't kick you out for a better off, if you don't have a contingency clause (selling your current home) allowing them to do so.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
who is your agent? none? the listing agent? I'd be shocked in any state that a seller cannot accept a backup offer. as has been stated pretty clearly, the seller can't kick you out for a better off, if you don't have a contingency clause (selling your current home) allowing them to do so.
I have seen it here before, and on ActiveRain, with agents in some states saying that BU Offers are not allowed.
Don't know how accurate that is, partly because so many agents speak imprecisely, i.e., think they write "Contracts" instead of "Offers."

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I recently obtained a contract on a home. I really have no home selling contingencies, and I can move in whenever the home closes. We have a healthy down payment and excellent FICO score and we've been approved for an ample amount for a loan. I can also make the $15K earnest money they require. My question is this, can they still accept other offers if we both signed the contract? We are still in our inspection client-attorney appoval period. The inspection is coming up next week. I wish I could get one sooner, but this inspector is really booked (he's really good!).

The problem is the realtor hasn't marked the home contingent or pending yet on MLS, so it's still showing up as active.

I would like to deter others from viewing the home as I think I got the home for a great price. It's someone who wants to get rid of it as his parents, the original owners, have died, and he just wants the $$$$, so he only came up a little in price from my low ball offer! I'm thrilled to death, but just want to make sure nothing goes sour, as the inspection and transfer of the remaining earnest funds has not occurred yet. The remaining earnest funds will be transferred upon the end of the client-attorney approval period.

There's nothing you can can stop the sellers from taking back-up offers, just in case, for some wild reason, you aren't able to complete the transaction (you might get hit by a bus, you might get suddenly transferred across the country, you might drop dead from a heart attack . . . agents have seen it all . . . ) It's not your house, yet, and you really don't have much say in how they choose to market it. Different MLS's handle it differently, but around here, some agents don't list it as contingent until the property is out of due diligence -- because up to that point, a buyer can skip out for just about any reason, up to and including "I don't like the color of the paint in the powder room". Agents are encouraged, of course, to list it as "Contingent - Due Diligence", but that tends to discourage shoppers.

But as far as getting a better offer while you are under contract . . . no, they can only accept it as a backup. They might suddenly get very, very picky about holding you to EXACTLY the terms of the contract -- no leeway on extending due diligence or financing deadlines, for example. But as long as you are holding up your end of the contract, they can't really back out, now. Not that sellers haven't tried . . . but it gets really, really messy.

Don't worry -- tell your agent and/or attorney your concerns, but as long as you are fulfilling the terms of the purchase and sale agreement, you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals