Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:03 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,410 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I recently obtained a contract on a home. I really have no home selling contingencies, and I can move in whenever the home closes. We have a healthy down payment and excellent FICO score and we've been approved for an ample amount for a loan. I can also make the $15K earnest money they require. My question is this, can they still accept other offers if we both signed the contract? We are still in our inspection client-attorney appoval period. The inspection is coming up next week. I wish I could get one sooner, but this inspector is really booked (he's really good!).

The problem is the realtor hasn't marked the home contingent or pending yet on MLS, so it's still showing up as active.

I would like to deter others from viewing the home as I think I got the home for a great price. It's someone who wants to get rid of it as his parents, the original owners, have died, and he just wants the $$$$, so he only came up a little in price from my low ball offer! I'm thrilled to death, but just want to make sure nothing goes sour, as the inspection and transfer of the remaining earnest funds has not occurred yet. The remaining earnest funds will be transferred upon the end of the client-attorney approval period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
The answer, I'm afraid, depends on the way your local MLS operates. You need to ask your agent about this.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:27 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
The problem is the realtor hasn't marked the home contingent or pending yet on MLS, so it's still showing up as active.
Just because someone hasn't clicked a check box letting the internet know its under contract, doesn't mean its not under contract. You are placing too much emphasis on the internet.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Just because someone hasn't clicked a check box letting the internet know its under contract, doesn't mean its not under contract. You are placing too much emphasis on the internet.
I know, but at least that deters people from wanting to view it. I suppose the seller's agent has to let them verbally know its under contract.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:51 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Even if it's under contract, the seller can take back-up offers until the day it closes.

That said, unless it's a very competitive sellers market, agents don't typically show houses that are under contract.

It's likely that the local MLS doesn't require it be shown as contingent until earnest money is received.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Even if it's under contract, the seller can take back-up offers until the day it closes.

That said, unless it's a very competitive sellers market, agents don't typically show houses that are under contract.

It's likely that the local MLS doesn't require it be shown as contingent until earnest money is received.
When you say "back up offers?" Does that mean they can't accept the offer unless we bow out of the contract?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:13 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
A back-up offer means that it is a full contract with the most important contingency being it is not enforceable UNLESS your offer ends up not closing.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
A back-up offer means that it is a full contract with the most important contingency being it is not enforceable UNLESS your offer ends up not closing.
Repeating my question: Does this mean that the seller can bow out from our offer, and accept a back up offer, even if all our contingencies are met (closing date, inspection, earnest money, etc. . )? Is that true?

If someone can answer that simple question, that would be great as your answer is a bit confusing. I'm not a real estate professional. Thanks. :-)

Old 09-18-2015, 06:27 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Repeating my question: Does this mean that the seller can bow out from our offer, and accept a back up offer, even if all our contingencies are met (closing date, inspection, earnest money, etc. . )? Is that true?

If someone can answer that simple question, that would be great as your answer is a bit confusing. I'm not a real estate professional. Thanks. :-)

Your question is a bit off point so needs to be reframed just a little.
And, local rules rule.

Here, the seller can definitely accept a backup offer, negotiating it to a backup Contract.
However, your current contract would be Primary and enforceable, as long as all signatures and initials were completed, and the seller cannot just toss it for a better offer.
If you would terminate for any reason, the Backup Contract would become Primary, without the house ever going back onto Active status on the MLS.

The benefit of a solid Backup Contract for the seller is knowing they may not have to go back to Active status and allow showings.
The downside is that that Backup Buyer will continue to shop for another house. Unless the house is very desirable or unique, the seller has to realize that the Backup buyer can vaporize at will.

It is a long shot game to play from both sides, and your story makes me think there is a slow agent involved, or a staff member who is supposed to update MLS, or that there may be some local rule function that is keeping it Active.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:27 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,907 times
No, it means that if for some reason your contract falls through then they still have another viable offer. It may mean the sellers would be less likely to negotiate inspection items knowing they had a back up offer. But those are relatively rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals