Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But....
A great many consumers only value what they overpay for. No, not all sellers, but a great many do.
In our local hot sellers' market, where 70%+ of buyers' agents work for 2.4% co-broke, I routinely see listing agents walking away with 3.6% or more out of 6% + "paperwork fees." And, the definition of a "sellers' market" should include, "Buyers agents working much harder than listing agents for longer hours, at more expense for longer periods of time."
This is the choice many consumers make, because they value intangibles like Brand Name, Class A+ office space, expensive agent trappings, flashy marketing, etc, all which drive costs without bringing measurable value.
Wow, now that's a huge bunch of BS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
How much do you tip a server?

10% across the board?

15%

20%

Do you tip 17% for breakfast and 15% for dinner, since the dinner check is more?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
A 5$ tip at dinner is a very different thing from taking a 10k hit to the shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How much do you tip a server?

10% across the board?

15%

20%

Do you tip 17% for breakfast and 15% for dinner, since the dinner check is more?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:46 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
A 5$ tip at dinner is a very different thing from taking a 10k hit to the shorts.
Is it? I mean the 15% was for carrying a plate of food and a few drinks to a table. And to top it off the waitress didn't even make the food or drink themselves. That's 3x what a commission is!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Is it? I mean the 15% was for carrying a plate of food and a few drinks to a table. And to top it off the waitress didn't even make the food or drink themselves. That's 3x what a commission is!
Did you tip the valet who parked your car the last time you used one, 15% the value of your car? I mean give a me a break with this.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times
The realtor did not build my house either all they are doing is flipping paper work and making calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Did you tip the valet who parked your car the last time you used one, 15% the value of your car? I mean give a me a break with this.
No...but I bet that when he bought a car the salesman received either a commission or a flat fee for handling the purchase--much like in real estate.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
No...but I bet that when he bought a car the salesman received either a commission or a flat fee for handling the purchase--much like in real estate.
Don't forget the dealership volume rebate and holdback.
Real Estate compensation is far more transparent than auto economics.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:51 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,433 times
Makes one wonder if one of the issues in this thread might be the use of the word "commission".

If you look that word up in the dictionary, the word "commission" means "a duty" and "duty" means a "moral or legal obligation". Therefore, people interpret the term "commission" to mean an obligation to pay (the RE agent). There is no expressed or implied level of performance.

I suggest calling the monies paid to RE agents a "real estate service fee". The definition of fee includes "a payment made to a professional person or to a professional or public body in exchange for advice or services". This definition now does include an expressed level of performance where monies are exchanged "for advice or services".

Yes, it is semantics but words mean things.

What say you?

(EDIT: In preparing the comments above, I went to Google and searched for "definition of commission", etc. Your search may result in slightly different definitions.)

Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Car salesmen make on average $250 a vehicle. So that's the amount you would like to make? Try again I think.
But maybe you donated to him an extra 5% or around a 1k since you wanted to contribute to him making a good living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals