Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 11:05 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
So there is no way that anybody who might want to buy your house someday will be able to find out when it was built???? Forget about selling it, if so.
Seriously?
Condition, location, features, and orientation can all be determined in real time, and matter a whole lot more than when the property was built.
Actually, what specific value does knowing the exact date of initial construction convey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seriously?
Condition, location, features, and orientation can all be determined in real time, and matter a whole lot more than when the property was built.
Actually, what specific value does knowing the exact date of initial construction convey?

But was it built in 1940? 1980?? 2000??? Certainly matters.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Seriously?

Did I ever say "exact date"????
Your attitude is why I posted in the first place. Take it for what it's worth.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Did I ever say "exact date"????
Your attitude is why I posted in the first place. Take it for what it's worth.
What attitude? I enter dates of build that I can confirm.

Guys who would sue if the agent entered "1939" and it turned out to be "1940" deter agents from making claims that they cannot solidly confirm from trusted sources.
Consumers with engineers, agents, inspectors, who would still complain because they cannot discern between a house built in 1940 and 2000? Yikes. Are they really out there?

I did find a little mirth in the attitude that MikePRU will never be able to sell because he may not prove that his house was built in 1986.
Quote:
So there is no way that anybody who might want to buy your house someday will be able to find out when it was built???? Forget about selling it, if so.
I can see some mope doing some due diligence: "I thought this was from 1628! Fuhgeddaboutit!"

Old 12-27-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
What attitude? I enter dates of build that I can confirm.

Guys who would sue if the agent entered "1939" and it turned out to be "1940" deter agents from making claims that they cannot solidly confirm from trusted sources.
Consumers with engineers, agents, inspectors, who would still complain because they cannot discern between a house built in 1940 and 2000? Yikes. Are they really out there?

I did find a little mirth in the attitude that MikePRU will never be able to sell because he may not prove that his house was built in 1986.

I can see some mope doing some due diligence: "I thought this was from 1628! Fuhgeddaboutit!"

Okay.,,gonna be civil,. Some houses around here could be built in 1880 or in 2010, based on first impression. The modern "replicas" are very well done today. And old houses are "updated" amazingly well at times these days.
If I enter a search, looking for an old house, or a newer house, will "unknown" come up for either search?? Just lost a first view, if not.
Also: have your or a colleague that you know ever been sued for being off by one year in an advertisement or online listing?? Why suggest that??
"Approx 1950" works for me: why do some realtors do that, and others just put "unknown"????

Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Okay.,,gonna be civil,. Some houses around here could be built in 1880 or in 2010, based on first impression. The modern "replicas" are very well done today. And old houses are "updated" amazingly well at times these days.
If I enter a search, looking for an old house, or a newer house, will "unknown" come up for either search?? Just lost a first view, if not.
Also: have your or a colleague that you know ever been sued for being off by one year in an advertisement or online listing?? Why suggest that??
"Approx 1950" works for me: why do some realtors do that, and others just put "unknown"????
Setting other detail aside, I wasn't in the thread until you told MikePRU that his 1986 house was unsellable.
Of course it is not.
I have not been sued, but recognize the common sense of being risk-averse.
I have never been murdered, but I willingly assume it would be terminal.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Gotcha, the lawyers really do ruin everything.
But you think YOU'RE in a risky field!!

I still bet that a lot of it is just laziness and not wanting to do a quality job. Quantity over quality. For those realtors for whom that is true, they are probably NEVER going to get my business or recommendation. First impressions matter.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:41 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
I was lucky in that they were able to find the plans for my house and the year built is recorded in the tax records. So that was never in question. However, I was trying to illustrate how easy it is for town records to vanish.

Quote:
But was it built in 1940? 1980?? 2000??? Certainly matters.
It's usually pretty easy to spot that. I've yet to walk into a house that I couldn't guess the year built within a few years of what the listing says. Standards of construction and methods of construction change from decade to decade. There are often clues left behind in even the most extensive updating projects.

Quote:
They're not that well done. Around here in some towns in the 60's/70's, it was pretty popular to have a house that was a replica of a 1700's or 1800's colonial. These houses are pretty good replicas but they don't use fieldstone foundations because poured cement is far superior.

Quote:
Gotcha, the lawyers really do ruin everything.
But you think YOU'RE in a risky field!!

I still bet that a lot of it is just laziness and not wanting to do a quality job. Quantity over quality. For those realtors for whom that is true, they are probably NEVER going to get my business or recommendation. First impressions matter.
We live in a very litigious society. Many people are looking for someone else to pay them for something whether they deserve it or not.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
OP, I have never run into a buyer for whom the exact year built was a deal breaker (unless they were dead set on a new build and then it was within a couple of years if a house was built in late 2014, say, as a spec home and didn't sell until into 2015).

I've had people who have particular decades in mind, and some who don't want anything earlier than 1990, but if the perfect house was built in 1985, they're not going to pass on it.

Here, for the most part (90+ % of the time), the year built is filled in automatically from the tax records (where you would go to find out), anyway.

Which is to say, if you say that the 1986 house can't be sold because it can't be definitely stated what year it was built, you don't know buyers (other than yourself) very well. You're a definite outlier in that regard.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Is there no possibility of adding "circa" to the date?

A friend of mine owns a 200+ year-old-home in Greenwich, CT and I doubt that it's precise age would be a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals