Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:00 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

I have bought a few properties over the years, mostly residential, also apartments, now looking for a camp.

Do realtors not understand what a bad impression it makes when their online listings, written material, etc. has "unknown" for year of construction?? It's an essential fact about a property. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but it's a terrible first impression when a realtor can't make the effort to find and disclose that essential information right at the first contact.
Honestly, it comes across as sheer laziness and not caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 05:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I have bought a few properties over the years, mostly residential, also apartments, now looking for a camp.

Do realtors not understand what a bad impression it makes when their online listings, written material, etc. has "unknown" for year of construction?? It's an essential fact about a property. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker but it's a terrible first impression when a realtor can't make the effort to find and disclose that essential information right at the first contact.
Honestly, it comes across as sheer laziness and not caring.
I'm assuming you're referring to relatively new houses. I deal frequently in rural and historical properties, and it is entirely possible for the date the house was built to be unknown to anyone. Our own house, on the ranch, was built sometime in the early part of the last century in a nearby city, moved to the ranch in 1970 by the owner before the one we bought it from, and we have no idea what its address was before it was moved.

Lots of reasons why the year a house was built might be unknown. That's why that's a choice on the MLS.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to relatively new houses. I deal frequently in rural and historical properties, and it is entirely possible for the date the house was built to be unknown to anyone. Our own house, on the ranch, was built sometime in the early part of the last century in a nearby city, moved to the ranch in 1970 by the owner before the one we bought it from, and we have no idea what its address was before it was moved.

Lots of reasons why the year a house was built might be unknown. That's why that's a choice on the MLS.
Good response. How much extra effort would it take to track down the year of construction for a house built between 1900-1950?? Do realtors even ask the owners to dig around for their deed, etc.??

Old 12-25-2015, 06:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
It's a simple matter (here, anyway) to check the tax records. However, if it's an older house, various counties have different ways of dealing with a house old enough that they don't know when it was built. For one county, if it says "1925", that most often means "we don't know so we put down 1925" and if you think that's incorrect you might have to dig, but that doesn't mean you'll find it if the tax office can't find it. The deeds are filed with the tax office here - I've gone down to look up ours on another house before - so I don't need to ask my client to dig around for it.

I'm a genealogist, so I have no problem digging up records, I do it for fun, but sometimes they just aren't there, be it the year a house was built or a birth or marriage record. Either the courthouse burned or the records were never filed (because the river was high and the court house was on the other side and by the time the river went down it was forgotten, say) or some other reason.

Sometimes you can look on old insurance fire maps, IF the house is in a town (or it was a town when the house was built) so that there are such maps, and see that in one map there is no house and in the map drawn five years later there IS a house - some house - on the property, and that would get you close. But if the township wasn't big enough to have a fire map, that won't work.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
And then there are natural disasters obliterating records stored in the courthouse. The municipal records stored in the courthouse basement in New Orleans flooded for over a month in Hurricane Katrina. Many had not been digitized, including my original birth certificate . Good luck on any records there.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:07 PM

All true, but I bet that for the majority of old homes, it would be possible to get a really good approximation of the date, without much effort.
What I see is that certain realtors and agencies habitually put "unknown" on anything over 50 years old. That to me points to laziness. And it's a bad first impression.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Are you looking at public MLS sites or the Z/T other syndication sites? Maybe the information does not transfer over?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:21 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
My cousin inherited a farm from his uncle and they couldn't tell you when it was built. It is well over 100 years old and was foreclosed in the 20s where it was purchased by his family from the bank and has stayed in that family ever since. He is trying to sell it and the realtor asked if he could find records but they simply don't exist. No amount of searching will come up with a year built when the information doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for a very long time. Hell we don't even know if the family that foreclosed was the original owner.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:24 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
All true, but I bet that for the majority of old homes, it would be possible to get a really good approximation of the date, without much effort.
What I see is that certain realtors and agencies habitually put "unknown" on anything over 50 years old. That to me points to laziness. And it's a bad first impression.
You would think things like this would be easy, but records get lost/destroyed all the time. My house was built in 1986 and I recently went to the building dept to get a copy of the house plans. They told me there was a 50/50 chance that they would be able to find them. Apparently, the building department didn't have much of a formal filing system until 1988 and a lot of files were lost to a basement flood at town hall a few years before that.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
You would think things like this would be easy, but records get lost/destroyed all the time. My house was built in 1986 and I recently went to the building dept to get a copy of the house plans. They told me there was a 50/50 chance that they would be able to find them. Apparently, the building department didn't have much of a formal filing system until 1988 and a lot of files were lost to a basement flood at town hall a few years before that.
So there is no way that anybody who might want to buy your house someday will be able to find out when it was built???? Forget about selling it, if so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals