Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:59 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1.5% of $4.5M is $68K.
And, I think the Danger report was spot on.
Fools work for 1.5% = $68000. I agree: Smart consumers shouldn't hire fools.

The most intriguing aspect of the Danger Report was the reference to making agents employees.
Uber lawsuits are relevant and just beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
To my prospective buyers: If you aren't willing to pay fair value and will only purchase if you can get a steal, tell me at our first meeting so I can go fishing instead.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:41 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
OP, not only do you want someone familiar with the general area, but even down to the neighborhoods you want to live in. You want someone where you give them your price range and they tell you right off, these are the neighborhoods in your range. Understand no one will be able to produce what does not exist, so keep your expectations reasonable.

A good agent will know where the grant money is in No. VA and where the best programs are. Fannie just released a FABULOUS program called HomeReady that will compete head to head with FHA. A good agent will know about the housing lotteries in Fairfax and Loudon Counties.

Look for someone advertising first time buyer seminars. When you find one that's also listing in your targeted subdivisions (they would also be helping their former buyers sell and move up), you have found the right one.

(Another resource is the VHDA website. Virginia Housing Department Authority administers the Virginia first time loan programs. They have a list of the top loan officers using their programs. Call a loan officer in the area you are considering, and call them for a recommendation of a Realtor. Don't worry about the loan officer just yet. Politely refuse to provide your information to be contacted, because those on that list are there for a reason, they are relentless. (Aggressive sales does not necessarily = good at their job).

Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1.5% of $4.5M is $68K.
And, I think the Danger report was spot on.
The splits are horrible in Colorado if agents closing $4.5 MM are on a 50/50 split. In Florida most brokerages are happy to pay an agent over 80% for that level of production.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
To my prospective buyers: If you aren't willing to pay fair value and will only purchase if you can get a steal, tell me at our first meeting so I can go fishing instead.
Tell your sellers that it's not 2006 anymore. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
In and around Denver, 2.8% is a 60/40 split of a 7% commission.

I have seen 1%, 2.5% and 3% as coop fees in the MLS lately.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Hi

I am confused about FHA/VHDA.

I see there are limitations on the loan but I don't understand if only some lenders recognize it -in that case, does vhda direct me to lenders/brokers that will work with my loan?

Also, do some condo/Townhouse/HOAs can refuse my purchase based on the type of loan I have?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
From VHDA's website, it appears that they offer FHA loans too. Our Programs - VHDA

Quote:
VHDA offers a variety of loans designed to meet the needs of Virginia's homebuyers, including Conventional Fixed, FHA, FHA Plus, VA (Veterans Affairs), RHS (Rural Housing Services).
It is not that condos and townhomes refuse your loan, not all condos/townhomes are FHA approved. FHA loans generally offer a lower downpayment option than conventional loans.

You would probably benefit from taking VHDA's home ownership class. I am sure it will teach you a lot about what the program is and the home buying process. Free Homebuyer Class - VHDA

Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Thank you so much!

Old 01-30-2016, 02:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,068,626 times
Before you hire your agent, find out:
1. Do they specialize in the type of homes / price ranges you are looking for?
2. Do you need information on the local area, if so, choose a local agent that is active in that area.
3. Do they work with niche lenders than can offer special programs for low/moderate income buyers like yourself?
4. What is their availability compared to yours (will your hours match up)?
5. Interview 3-5 agents and ask them to tell you why they are uniquely positioned to help you!

Best of luck!
Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals