Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times

Advertisements

Expensive lesson learned (hopefully not). Buying a new home is a complex process, fraught with issues even when an experienced Realtor is involved.

1) I would try to resolve your issues informally to the mutual satisfaction of you and the builder. State exactly what you want, in writing, with a timeline for response.

If that doesn't turn out well ..

2) Have a real estate attorney review your contract and advise you of your options.

I saw your initial other post in the Austin forum as well. You've made so many beginner mistakes, and are so over your head, you really may want to go straight to #2 above.

If you end up cancelling out, don't beat yourself up over it. Builders prey on buyers who walk in unrepresented and clueless about the process. You simply didn't know what you didn't know, didn't know the right questions to ask. Common mistake, don't feel too bad. But now you have to decide how to proceed.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecloud1900 View Post
We expected soft-copy of signed document only contain what we signed but never expected it would contain additional document which we we weren't aware of and never brought to our attention during signing.
But, you did not sign where he made changes? Have you confronted them with changing the contract after you signed? The others have provided a great suggestion about getting out of the contract for hoa docs. Only an attorney can properly advise you, but new homes are typically the builder's way or the highway.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 PM

33 posts, read 37,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
But, you did not sign where he made changes? Have you confronted them with changing the contract after you signed? The others have provided a great suggestion about getting out of the contract for hoa docs. Only an attorney can properly advise you, but new homes are typically the builder's way or the highway.
The design specification document (Lists what to pick can't pick) is not singed by us. Builder sales rep added it as last page to signed contract and sent it to us.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Hoa docs release is usually not in builder contracts. Just resale.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 PM

33 posts, read 37,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

1) I would try to resolve your issues informally to the mutual satisfaction of you and the builder. State exactly what you want, in writing, with a timeline for response.
What beginner mistakes I've made just to learn.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:42 PM

211 posts, read 451,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hoa docs release is usually not in builder contracts. Just resale.
Not in VA. They are in every contract. It might be state specific which is why I told him to check his state laws.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanRemo View Post
Not in VA. They are in every contract. It might be state specific which is why I told him to check his state laws.
Exactly how I was going to reply. No one gets out of HOA disclosure laws. Mandatory delivery and review. Builders and FSBOs included.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecloud1900 View Post
What beginner mistakes I've made just to learn.
The first thing I hope you've learned is have your own agent! That was idiotic. (I'm allowed to be blunt because I'm not a Realtor.)

They can advise you better on how to manage this mess better than I can, but I do have one thought.

You've neglected to tell us how much of a deposit you made. Is the cost of replacing the unacceptable kitchen cabinets more than losing your deposit?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:11 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Is there a reason why the builder hasn't been named? If it's a big-name builder, someone out there's likely had the same problem...

Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Exactly how I was going to reply. No one gets out of HOA disclosure laws. Mandatory delivery and review. Builders and FSBOs included.
I just went through a Builders Contract I received 2 days ago from a major regional builder. It does disclose the existence of an HOA but nowhere does it give any type of right to terminate. I've got about 6 new homes under construction and do 15-20 a year. Here in TX I've never seen the Termination option in the Builders contracts. The State contract does have the termination right.

State laws do vary and OP is in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals