Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:57 PM

720 posts, read 920,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I am in the market for a new vehicle. I have never leased before.
I am looking at a new 5 series and the lease amount is almost close to my current car payment.
My main concern is the mileage restrictions, I do triple if not more for what is allowed, do dealers tend to negotiate miles in the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Hi Guys, I am in the market for a new vehicle. I have never leased before.
I am looking at a new 5 series and the lease amount is almost close to my current car payment.
My main concern is the mileage restrictions, I do triple if not more for what is allowed, do dealers tend to negotiate miles in the deal?
SOME dealers will offer high mileage leases. It's not common. But you need to understand that if you go over those mikes, you're gonna pay. Big time.

With such low intetest rates on car loans, unless you demand a new car every 3 years, leasing rarely leaves you financially ahead these days. (I'm an Ex accountant who has leased more vehicles than purchased vehicles, who is married to an ex car finance/sales manager. We currently own both our vehicles - a 2013 and a 2015 - with loans at less than 2%. They both replaced leased vehicles. Did the math.)

Old 02-12-2016, 07:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,506,488 times
I never leased, but I've heard that it's better to go through a commercial leasing firm who deals with businesses, instead of going through the dealer.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I never leased, but I've heard that it's better to go through a commercial leasing firm who deals with businesses, instead of going through the dealer.
That would be accurate if you were leasing multiple vehicles. I doubt it for ine vehicle.

An additional issue is that, in most cases, the lease prices are currently set by the manufacturer. The dealerships have very little, if any, ability to negotiate. The dealers have far more negotiating room in a vehicle purchase transaction. The limited noegotiating on leases is a fairy new phenomenon and may reverse itself sometime in the future.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,435,786 times
I lease 15,000 a year. I'm almost halfway through the term and I'm way fine. Owned 2 cars prior and wasn't really in a good position to possibly buy at that time. The extra 2500 miles a year was only 7 a month more so totally worth it.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I lease 15,000 a year. I'm almost halfway through the term and I'm way fine. Owned 2 cars prior and wasn't really in a good position to possibly buy at that time. The extra 2500 miles a year was only 7 a month more so totally worth it.
I find it doubtful that 15,000 miles per year would be adequate for most full time, active Realtors. At least, not in my current area (Raleigh/Durham) or prior area (Phoenix metro). And, evidently, the OP has similar concerns.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
It depends on the area. Most of what I do is within about a 10 mile radius of home so I can easily handle a 10K lease.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:12 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,435,786 times
15,000 is plenty for me. I am active. Everybody that leases in my office does 15,000. The main service area is 166 mile square miles, which an overwhelming portion of the business being in the main city of 42.1 (population 85,000). My home is in the far Western Portion of the region, so I would be traveling less if I more closer to the center of town. Other areas which I service but not as often, but still feel comfortable and knowledgeable enough working in total another 223 square miles. If you add those up together, it's as large as the city of Denver

Old 02-14-2016, 02:59 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
I drive about 12K per year. Most of my business is very close to home (<5 miles) but some is across town or out in the boonies. And yes, I'm full time and sell quite a bit.

I just went through the lease vs. buy question for myself. In the end, I chose to buy because I typically pay off a car pretty quickly, but drive it forever. You are NEVER without payments when you lease, but you can drive a car for years without a payment if you purchase. If you get a new car every 3 years, you might find it easier/cheaper to lease.

I think leasing has a slight tax advantage but not enough to change the full equation for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals