Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:56 AM

818 posts, read 1,068,278 times

Advertisements

I suggest thinking longer term when you are ready to sell your business, why would I buy a domain and a company branded to someone else that isn't there any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post

There are so many variants of our biz that we can go with.
Nah, don't go with .biz. Only uncool people use .biz. You aren't uncool, are you?

Quote:
I have a few and the one I'm most proud of is rent904.com.
Yup, good name. My property management site is 803rentals.com

Old 02-13-2016, 02:34 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
LOL, you guys. hahahaha

There are so many variants of our biz that we can go with. I'd prefer not to get so wrapped up in owning all the possible domains. I have a few and the one I'm most proud of is rent904.com. It's just a redirect, but it's a lot more memorable and easy to speak than my regular company domain name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Nah, don't go with .biz. Only uncool people use .biz. You aren't uncool, are you?

Yup, good name. My property management site is 803rentals.com

I buy .biz if I am trying to protect a brand from others' claiming it.
I have a registered service mark in North Carolina for Realty Arts, and have grabbed up multiple domain suffixes to support that brand claim.
I have done that for a couple of others, too.

And, JFF, I have bought my last name .info and .net at auction, although someone on the family tree is proud of the .com, dang it.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandrew View Post
Hello everyone! My brokerage is implementing a new website and instead of having an easy domain name (ie company name/my name), my website name it is way too long of a name to give out. I'm looking for recommendations on what I should get for my name. I'm fairly new and am not sure what others use.

Should I use just my name (AnnAndrew.com) or something like AnnAndrewRealtor.com or AnnAndrewHomes.com? Or should I try to pick something without my name like GulfCoastRealEstate.com?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
gulfcoastrealestate or gulfcoastRE seems more professional, you can always have your name domain link you to the gulf coast one. The shorter the better to remember, but nowadays google corrects spelling mistakes and finds things easier.

both the above are taken as well as gulfcoasthomes.com so you have to get more creative.

and unless you already own annandrews.com it's already taken. I personally would not get a dot net or dot anything else, I'd rather think up a different name and get a dot com.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:03 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
FYI - if you search for a domain name and it's not taken, buy it immediately. If you don't, someone else will then offer to sell it to you for 10x the amount. I know, I procrastinated once, and I lost out!

For real estate I just ended up with ninanorris.com

Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 620 times
Domain names can be addicting! I think I got my first one in the mid 90's. Now I own 90 of them and have done fairly well selling them over the years.

Good luck with yours!

Alana Jordan
60606.com

Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
I suggest thinking longer term when you are ready to sell your business, why would I buy a domain and a company branded to someone else that isn't there any more?
Because the buyer of the business can then choose his/her own domain, redirect it without loosing any of the seo juice( when done properly). Meanwhile, the current owner beneifts from the value of a name-based branded website (though it's currently just pointed, which accrues no seo juice)

Steve

Old 02-19-2016, 03:06 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Because the buyer of the business can then choose his/her own domain, redirect it without loosing any of the seo juice( when done properly). Meanwhile, the current owner beneifts from the value of a name-based branded website (though it's currently just pointed, which accrues no seo juice)

Steve
I've heard reroutes can hurt organic SEO on google. It's hard to say what's accurate though.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
I didn't read through all the posts yet, but you can't have REALTOR in your domain name, it is against NAR.

First, I would certainly buy your name as a domain name. Might as well secure that from the start. Second, I would come up with something that you will want for a LONG time. For instance, mine is RVAHomeTeam.com because I wanted to be able to add team members down the road. In addition RVA stands for Richmond and Home describes what my site is about.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Experience since 1995 with domain names

Buy every potententially useful .com domain you can think of.
You can always drop some after the first year.

No hyphens.
Don't even think about it.

Only .com, the others are useless (unless you are Mike and going for the blocking maneuver).

Long names used to be bad.
Not anymore. People click and bookmark.

Use camel case whenever referencing your domain.

Be consistent.
Dave@MarketingTactics.com
MarketingTactics.com (no need for http://www)
Never DaveBarnesDenver@HotMail.com

Don't forget to create
LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram accounts using your business persona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals