Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,230 times

Advertisements

Hey Professionals, what's up with fraudulently listing the square footage of the lot as the square footage of the house?

When I do searches on Zillow I'm looking for a square footage range (lot size is nice but less important to me). I imagine millions of others like to tailor their search criteria in similar ways, and there are a lot of options to do so, to weed out properties they find acceptable to their wants/needs from those properties which don't match their criteria.

So why the abundance of innacurate listings? Certainly it's not difficult to get the square footage of the house if you're the listing agent. Indeed it's your job to do so. So why be misleading? As a customer I'm not willing to do business with people who list things fraudulently, and this obviously affects sales. I certainly wouldn't want my listing agent overinflating the square footage of my home on the MLS because the truth comes out in the end and a lot of time is wasted.

Lets see some examples:
Real Estate agent Gina Gargeu from Maryland seems to be particularly zealous about this tactic, though I am by no means picking on her alone. One of her listings just so happened to be the final straw that broke my camel's back so I decided to click on her Zillow profile to check out some other listings. I was not surprised by what I found as there are at least a dozen of her listings that list homes in this manner, and there are hundreds of other listings like this by others which do the same (and that's just in my LOCAL area, there must be hundreds of thousands nationwide).

308 7th Ave NE, Glen Burnie, MD 21060 | MLS #AA9561994 | Zillow
1201 Branch Ln, Glen Burnie, MD 21061 | MLS #AA869978 | Zillow
8104 Spaulding Cir, Severn, MD 21144 | MLS #AA9563555 | Zillow
(wow, a 10,000 square foot home for 220k! Amazing!)

Either this is done as a gimic (which is wrong and constitutes fraud / false advertisement in my eyes) or it's done out of ignorance and lack of proper training in using the listing services. I'm leaning toward it being a gimic given how obnoxiously prevalent this tactic has become. This cannot simply be attributed to a mistake or two here and there. I've also noticed this tactic in the time I've been shopping for a home become an increasing trend.

And given that it's an increasing trend I've forced to wonder: Do you "professionals" take classes in this garbage or what? Must be hilarious during class time, and I'll bet both the instructors and class takers must think this is a legitimate tactic or that it somehow works rather than ultimately turning people away. Just another reason why the industry's credibility as a whole is becoming tarnished (one reason out of many).

Please police up your own problem makers
because your problem causers blemish the good agents as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
As you have illustrated, if this was a tactic, it would be a pretty stupid tactic, as it only annoys people and makes listings show up in the wrong search, or fail to show up in the right search. No one wants that, particularly not the listing agent.

So I would suspect it is a mistake, not a tactic.

Whose mistake? I would suspect Zillow. Zillow is not on the MLS, they skim all their information from other sites, and their software doesn't always pull the information correctly. Zillow is wrong or out of date so often, I honestly don't understand why people use them.

I googled your first listing there by the address, and other sites have it right: 1248 square feet.
https://www.redfin.com/MD/Glen-Burni.../home/10419004

I'm not a member of the MD MLS so I can't look it up at the source, but I bet it's entered correctly there by this agent.

Moral to the story? Don't get mad, just don't trust Zillow!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-13-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-13-2016, 10:28 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
My MLS listings get fed to Zillow directly to try and avoid data errors. When I used ListHub it did all sorts of weird things to the data and I had to constantly go in and manually correct it. My guess is that her brokerage uses a third party service to feed the data to Zillow and it is transposing the data. Since I have personally experienced that before, I know it happens.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Write a nasty letter to Zillow. It's their problem not ours.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:48 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Hey Professionals, ...

Please police up your own problem makers because your problem causers blemish the good agents as well.
Zillow is not "ours."
Find an issue on an actual real estate site and then ask the agent or firm to fix it.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Hey Professionals, what's up with fraudulently listing the square footage of the lot as the square footage of the house?
all 3 of these listings have "accurate" sq ft listed in the mls, so the disconnect is on zillows end. they are also foreclosures, so the listing agent has limited information to start with

Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM

818 posts, read 1,067,351 times
When you click on the "data source" link, it does show that the tax assessor's sq. ft which looks more realistic. I emailed that agent to let her know of the discrepancy. Keep in mind that Zillow and other public portals are advertising websites designed to sell advertising and marketing solutions, not houses!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:58 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Zillow is a feed. Agents don't list directly on the zillow site so I suspect it's a feed issue and not a fraudulent trick. I'd be surprised if the agent was even aware of the issue. If you want accurate information don't shop on Zillow. Hire an agent and have them set you up directly on MLS.

Disclaimer-I didn't even click the link because I don't really care enough to spend any more time on the issue. I only responded to stand up for the profession since Zillow is "our" site and "we" don't list on it directly. Yet another reason why I'm not a fan of syndication. We get blamed for other people's mistakes.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
I have seen FSBOs on Zillow with inflated square footage. Makes the $/sf look real attractive. Ticks me off that consumers think they can trick other consumers without our help. Leave the fraud to the professionals. We have experience.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Listing agents must not care. I've seen many errors in listings. I saw one home listed as a single family. It was half a duplex 1/1 and said it was 900 sq ft. Turns out it's only 640 sq ft according to the county tax info and the rest of the area is an enclosed porch but it's not under air, so it's not considered part of the home square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals