Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

So, I got some automated email feedback today, and it made me wonder how other professionals would act and react ....

"BTW, the front door was unlocked and slightly open when we got there. I did leave it unlocked when I left as I found it."

I guess that means the agent latched the door, but didn't lock it. Aren't we supposed to secure the homes we show? Or am I missing some "leave it as you found it" admonition? If it matters, this feedback came via the immediately updated automated system this morning; the showing was yesterday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
So, I got some automated email feedback today, and it made me wonder how other professionals would act and react ....

"BTW, the front door was unlocked and slightly open when we got there. I did leave it unlocked when I left as I found it."

I guess that means the agent latched the door, but didn't lock it. Aren't we supposed to secure the homes we show? Or am I missing some "leave it as you found it" admonition? If it matters, this feedback came via the immediately updated automated system this morning; the showing was yesterday afternoon.

Sometimes I've shown properties where the owners took the dog for a walk down the street while I showed the home, so they did not want the door locked on my way out, but the listing agent gave specific instructions up front about not locking the door. What were your showing instructions?

If I walked into a situation like that and was not specifically instructed not to lock a particular door, I would call the listing agent immediately to advise them of the unlocked door and ask for instructions on how to deal with it.

I had a somewhat different situation this week. An agent was supposed to show a listing of mine that did not have a lockbox, the owner or a relative had to be there to give access. This particular buyer's agent was well aware of that. Two hours after the scheduled afternoon appointment time, the seller called to ask if the agent was going to show up or not. When I tracked down the agent she said the buyer decided to make an offer on something they had seen that morning, so went back to her office to do paperwork. The agent had several hours before my listing's appointment in which to cancel. She seemed offended when I said the seller was upset and the courteous thing to do would have been to take a couple of minutes to either call or text me. I apologized to my seller on behalf of this agent, but it ticks me off when agents are no shows, especially under these circumstances. From our conversation, I got the impression our showing was not the only afternoon appointment she blew off.

How can we expect the public to treat us as business professionals when agents do not act like business professionals?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:17 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I once did a "Leave it as I found it" based on how the house looked like the seller just stepped out so I could show.
Front door wide open, fresh coffee in the pot, some lights on, some off, radio on talk radio, etc.

Got the phone call from the listing agent an hour later, who after I mentioned this, told me her seller was crazed.

But, there is no more "Leave it as I found it" unless the showing instructions specifically tell me to.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

I would have locked the door behind me and assumed the seller would not leave the house without a key or access with a keypad.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Please lock doors and turn off all lights.

I had to go back and check my instructions. I've also had Sellers see me at the door and tell me to leave the house unlocked. or the "seller will leave the house unlocked for you". But if there's a lockbox and absent a "leave it open" instruction, I'm locking the doors.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 PM

4,845 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
I had a somewhat different situation this week. An agent was supposed to show a listing of mine that did not have a lockbox, the owner or a relative had to be there to give access. This particular buyer's agent was well aware of that. Two hours after the scheduled afternoon appointment time, the seller called to ask if the agent was going to show up or not. When I tracked down the agent she said the buyer decided to make an offer on something they had seen that morning, so went back to her office to do paperwork. The agent had several hours before my listing's appointment in which to cancel. She seemed offended when I said the seller was upset and the courteous thing to do would have been to take a couple of minutes to either call or text me. I apologized to my seller on behalf of this agent, but it ticks me off when agents are no shows, especially under these circumstances. From our conversation, I got the impression our showing was not the only afternoon appointment she blew off.

How can we expect the public to treat us as business professionals when agents do not act like business professionals?
I've been the seller in that situation that hurried and ran the vacuum, rounded up dogs and kids and went away for a couple hours. No show, no call, no apology. This is probably another case of 'cutting off my nose to spite my face"... but if we're ever shopping again, a sign with her name on it is a pass for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals