Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

I purchased a home in NJ 8 months ago. I was told by my realtor and attorney that the seller submitted an approved CO as required. I am now selling my home due to a relocation with my company (yes..8 months later) and I have found out there was not a CO for my home when I purchased it. Now I am having to pay for some electrical work and permits so I can get an approved CO and close on my home.

Can I hold my realtor or closing attorney responsible for failure to do their job, which has now opened me up to this liability or am I just out of luck and have to pay these fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
I would call your closing attorney.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 AM

82 posts, read 286,751 times
I'm surprised you got to closing without one. Ask the title company to research this. Your agent can get you their contact info.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
The closing attorney would have been responsible to see that all documents were on file before closing.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismith76 View Post
I purchased a home in NJ 8 months ago. I was told by my realtor and attorney that the seller submitted an approved CO as required. I am now selling my home due to a relocation with my company (yes..8 months later) and I have found out there was not a CO for my home when I purchased it. Now I am having to pay for some electrical work and permits so I can get an approved CO and close on my home.

Can I hold my realtor or closing attorney responsible for failure to do their job, which has now opened me up to this liability or am I just out of luck and have to pay these fees?
Hopefully you have this in writing when they advised you the request was submitted and completed? If so then you have the documentation you need to chase after them. Forget about chasing the lawyer as you will find few lawyers willing to take on a case against another. It really has more to do with a lawyer knowing how to drag out a case and make it more expensive to fight rather than one lawyer covering up for another.

You should speak with a lawyer and ask him if you can pursue any errors and omissions insurance the used home salesperson might have, or their broker/brokerage. As for the title insurance policy angle I've seen quite a few policies and most all of them excluded covering any type of code violation and no co might fall under that. However when you speak to the lawyer have them review your title policy as well. Title insurance really is mandated junk insurance that does little to nothing to protect you.

Unfortunately in many cases the burden of responsibility ultimately falls onto the buyer. All of the other real estate participants have their contracts very well written to prevent you from coming back on them and they leave little or no hard paper trail of their advice that caused your problem.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
My original post assumed the OP was talking about a Carbon Monoxide detector. No that I look at the post more closely I think maybe the OP is referring to a Certificate of Occupancy. Ooops!

Last edited by DMenscha; 08-25-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Why bother looking at lawsuits, and errors insurance. etc?

Simply call the agent and the attorney and ask them what happened. If the attorney was the closing agent, then s/he is the one responsible for the document. Maybe his assistant just didn't record it.

If there was a title company, escrow officer involved, then ask them.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

Simply call the agent and the attorney and ask them what happened. If the attorney was the closing agent, then s/he is the one responsible for the document. Maybe his assistant just didn't record it.

Ditto. JBiggs likes to chase shadows sometimes. There are easier things to try first such as Bill's advice.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:01 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

jbiggs is like modeerf in that they are on mission that may or may not have anything to do with what the OP is asking or be helpful. Just know they have a specific agenda.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
My original post assumed the OP was talking about a Carbon Monoxide detector. No that I look at the post more closely I think maybe the OP is referring to a Certificate of Occupancy. Ooops!
I know, I hate acronyms too. More people might respond if one took the extra 1 second to type out the acronym. (sigh.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals