Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffandliz View Post
All right all, just finally got the results. Not too bad. They are only requesting about 10 things or so. All are pretty minor. One thing to note, the inspector stated he could not get to the breaker due to our personal effects in the way, so he is suggesting an electrician to sign off on it. The buyers are requesting this as well. Minor things, minor repair to screen on porch, small bent piece of siding and some minor gutter work- mainly attaching better in 2 places. Here another I don't understand- claims the dishwasher seal has a small leak. I can't find it- no idea what they are talking about , the dishwasher is a high-end LG, only about 2 years old. Anyway, all in all, not too bad. Thanks for the help, I did change out the air filters prior and a few small other suggestions. Liz
Those are minor things. congratulations! and thanks for posting about the breaker. I have boxes in front of my electrical box (not covering it but under it against the walls so i'll make sure to move them if i ever get to this stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 47,388 times
HI CAPECODCATHY, you've got some great advice. Where I'm from, in Maryland, the buyer and the seller both should be present if possible, but not required. Yes, the seller should stay out of the way, the buyer is usually the one paying for the inspection, and deserve to be uninhibited by a nosey seller. However, it could be very helpful if the inspector has a question that you could easily answer. The inspection is to point out defects. The buyer may not be able to see them when making the offer to purchase. In good faith the buyer offers to purchase what he thinks he is getting. The inspector sheds light on what the buyer couldn't see at a showing appointment. It is a time for the buyer to really get to know what he is buying. The buyer should not expect perfection (although sometimes they do), but rather be paying attention to items he may not have known about that could be major defects. The buyers hopefully will be only bringing to your attention what findings they cannot live with or feel that the cost of repairing an item is too great for the deal that they have already negotiated. Every house has imperfections, even new ones. While your property is only 5 yrs.new and you may not need to be concerned about the roof, windows, plumb. electric, foundation etc. You want to be sure that there is no water infiltration anywhere inside or outside the home where it is not supposed to be. (such as, the soil grade (should naturally flow water away from the houses foundation), gutters and downspouts in good working order, no leaks behind the frig. washer, or around any plumbing in the home) if the home is on a crawl space then it needs to be clean and dry. Any added wiring to the home up to code. Chimney cleaned. You are probably in great shape in your new home, and having coffee etc. available is a great idea to help everyone feel welcome. CONGRATULATIONS on the sale of your home!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,621 times
Default Inspection Tomorrow

Hello everyone! I have read through this entire post and found some great suggestions and will follow through with making sure atic space is available with a ladder, fresh coffee, etc. What surprised me here was that all your examples were with newer homes ... 5 years old or so. The house we are selling is 108 years old but in solid foundational condition. Are there additional things that the inspector will be looking into with a house this age? We put on all new roofs all w/in 4 years, furnace and hot water heater are also 4 years old, have replaced almost all the windows but still have a few old style wood single pane windows, cats have put in a small hole in one of the new window screens and dog left her mark in the door screen. I'm sure every inspector is different, but will things be easier to nit-pick on with a house this old? The other thing is that I am totally not comfortable leaving inspector and buyers free range in the house for three hours. We have some belongings that the average Joe doesn't have. If our realestate agent isn't allowed to be there, we plan to stay to be available for questions but will not 'hover' by all means. We are looking at it as somebody needs to be there to protect us, the seller. We have things to do and will just continue about our day as usual, but stay out of the way. Any words of advice will be greatly apreciated! Thank you!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiChick View Post
The other thing is that I am totally not comfortable leaving inspector and buyers free range in the house for three hours. We have some belongings that the average Joe doesn't have. If our realestate agent isn't allowed to be there, we plan to stay to be available for questions but will not 'hover' by all means. We are looking at it as somebody needs to be there to protect us, the seller. We have things to do and will just continue about our day as usual, but stay out of the way. Any words of advice will be greatly apreciated! Thank you!
Just curious as to why your agent would not be allowed to be there?

Your agent cannot influence the outcome but I see no reason why they could not/should not be present.

The physical presence of the homeowner at a home inspection is always controversial. Sometimes it's helpful and sometimes it leads to friction between buyer and seller or seller and home inspector.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM

5,340 posts, read 4,428,220 times
I have bought and sold several homes in several states and I am always present for the inspections as a seller and a buyer. I would never agree to not being there no matter what my status my be. However, I am respectful of the job the inspectors are there to do and I let give them unfettered access to whatever they need to do and let them know I am available to answer any questions that they may have.

Also, I have always been given a copy of the full inspection report complete with the inspectors notes. As the seller, having this is advantageous as it allows me to see everything that the inspector has found not only the requested repairs. That comes in handy when it's time for negotiations.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,950 times
I wasn't there and I regretted it. My house was only 2 years old (never even used the fireplace) and it appeared the inspector felt the need to nitpick things just to find something. When I would ask for clarification, my buyer's agent actually wasn't sure on some things and even when we called the inspector, he was like, well it was very minor, just look at to make sure it's okay, yada, yada... Very annoying. You'll feel better if you're there.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM

12 posts, read 47,388 times
Hi SkiChick, your probably already having the inspection., but you certainly may have the Real Estate agents present, in fact , you can have anyone you like at your property, it's still your property until settlement. You have simply agreed to allow them to view the property in detail for inspection purposes. Your agent should be there at your request or have another agent fill in if not available. It's not really necessary, for any of you to be there, but you all may be more comfortable.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post

Also, I have always been given a copy of the full inspection report complete with the inspectors notes. As the seller, having this is advantageous as it allows me to see everything that the inspector has found not only the requested repairs. That comes in handy when it's time for negotiations.
Interesting. In my area, the the buyer and his/her agent and attorney get a copy of the inspection report, given it's the buyer who paid for it and this is usually done, after the fact, via email.

It's the buyer's attorney who forwards the relevent parts of the report to the seller's attorney. The only time a seller sees any of it is when the buyer wants something fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals