Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:03 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,600,115 times

Advertisements

OP.... as others have said just talk to your Realtor and explain the situation. I doubt the buyers are going to care but you need to be sure. Buyers do sometimes ask for some strange things (and a lot of it at times).

Our current buyer asked for our kitchen fridge, garage fridge, surround sound system, trampoline, basketball goal, curtains, blinds, tv on the back patio, my son's Xbox, riding mower, bed coverings in the master bedroom, and specifically the light fixture over the kitchen table that my deceased mother gave us (we advised that it wouldn't convey in the listing).

We countered and agreed to leave the kitchen fridge, surround sound, trampoline, and would be replacing the kitchen light fixture. He argued a bit about the fixture and we ended up showing him 4-5 different ones before he chose one that we would replace it with. The rest of the stuff he asked for wasn't up for negotiation so we simply declined to leave those for him. He tried to hold out but eventually accepted our counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,038,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
OP.... as others have said just talk to your Realtor and explain the situation. I doubt the buyers are going to care but you need to be sure. Buyers do sometimes ask for some strange things (and a lot of it at times).

Our current buyer asked for our kitchen fridge, garage fridge, surround sound system, trampoline, basketball goal, curtains, blinds, tv on the back patio, my son's Xbox, riding mower, bed coverings in the master bedroom, and specifically the light fixture over the kitchen table that my deceased mother gave us (we advised that it wouldn't convey in the listing).

We countered and agreed to leave the kitchen fridge, surround sound, trampoline, and would be replacing the kitchen light fixture. He argued a bit about the fixture and we ended up showing him 4-5 different ones before he chose one that we would replace it with. The rest of the stuff he asked for wasn't up for negotiation so we simply declined to leave those for him. He tried to hold out but eventually accepted our counter.
wow, that's pretty entitled to think he should get all of that! An xBox? Really?? I can see a trampoline, rather than disassembling it but some of that stuff is ridiculous.

The only thing my last buyer asked for was the washer and dryer, but they also increased their offer by more than it cost for me to buy a new set - they just didn't want to deal with the hassle of it. The increase wasn't specifically to buy the w/d, but as an overall negotiation I think we were both happy with the outcome.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:44 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,492,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's an assumption and it has to be in the contract or they can remove all curtains and blinds, and if the seller feels slighted at some point in the deal they can remove them if it's not in the contract just to be hostile.
In tx, window treatments convey with the house, unless excluded on the mls listing, or specifically excluded in the purchase contract.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:08 PM

455 posts, read 459,503 times
in Texas, window coverings are considered attached to the house and they must stay with the house unless they have been excluded.

For those of you who may go through this in the future, when you put your home on the market, take down anything of value to you that you plan on keeping. For example, if you have a dining room chandelier that was your grandmother's, remove it before it goes on the market and replace it with something appropriate. This will eliminate misunderstandings.

But if you cannot, then tell the agent to put in the MLS agent remarks that the item doesn't convey. In many homes, I'm in favor of small "Point of Sale" signs pointing out various features. "HVAC replaced in March 2016" next to thermostat, "(Built-in) Microwave replaced December 2014, etc" I would place a similar sign that says "____is not part of sale." Then, when an offer is made, be sure that it states that item is excluded on the contract.

And ignore the suggestion to replace the drapes once the house is under contract. Do that and you can be sued.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:43 PM

554 posts, read 428,055 times
When I sold my last house, I didn't find out until a few weeks after I signed the contract that the buyer's agent had written in on the back that she wanted all the bathroom stuff. She listed it out: lightswitch cover, toothbrush holder, etc. My agent had missed it. I feel sure she would have noticed if I had switched it out. I just let it go.

I noticed when I moved into my "new" house that the seller had removed all the little lampshades from the dining room fixture. She had also switched out the kitchen fixture at some point. The one there was not the one in the pictures online or in the brochure. I really couldn't remember if it was the same one as when I looked at it. But regardless I felt a little cheated on both accounts.

So buyers do notice stuff.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,934,881 times
When we bought our house, the sellers specified that they wanted to keep their window treatments including the rods. We explained that this is no problem, but we would want all the holes patched up and painted. Well, during the final walkthrough, we noticed that they left all their curtain rods (minus curtains). I guess they didn't want to deal with patching and painting a lot of holes. We were fine with this because the seller was a complete pain in the ass and we didn't want to deal with them any more. At closing, he kept going on and on about how he saved us a bunch of money by leaving the rods. On day one of us moving in, those rods (garbage cheap walmart type rods) were in the donate pile for goodwill.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
I wish I had been smarter when I bought my 2nd house. The sellers unscrewed and took a plantation bell hanging on the patio. It was not excluded. My last buyer wanted my washer and dryer which I was happy to leave as they were 20+ yrs old! Probably would have broken in moving.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
I would simply tell the buyer that the Mickey curtains aren't included. They were a family made thing and irreplaceable. If I sell I remove ANYTHING I don't want the buyer t think they are getting it I simply exclude it from the house purchase if it's too big/heavy to move

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,084,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Why do so many 'answers' to questions like this just need the simple, 'TALK TO THE OTHER PERSON' answer.
My gosh - if you explain that the curtains in question were hand made and are NOT staying with the house - any reasonable person would understand and agree.

TALK TO THE BUYER for cryin' out loud... and then, get it in writing so there's no 'he said, she said' thing going on.
for real.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:47 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,084,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, this. I think for the vast majority of people, it should not be a problem.

However, for future reference for anyone who might read this thread, if there is something that you want to keep, just remove it prior to listing your house! I had some window treatments that matched the bedspread for daybed so I just took them down before listing my house because I was keeping the daybed and wanted to use the same treatment for it. I also took down some shelving and patched the holes, so that it didn't look like it was a fixture that came with the house. I know other people who have swapped out a pricey chandelier that they wanted to keep for their next home for something that looked nice but they didn't care about leaving behind.

You can also specifically exclude things in the listing but I personally think it's easier to just not let a buyer see something in the first place.
also very true, and very good advice from a layman or a pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals