Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times

Advertisements

What a nightmare. First thing I would do is contact a neighbor and ask them if they've noticed people coming/going from the house. Ask them to walk the property looking for signs that someone is living there. I have a feeling these "buyers" are living there now. The camping in the cabin thing sounds 'off" given all you have said. I find it particularly strange that they changed the utilities over. The only reason I can think of that a buyer would do that is if they planned on living there. These people don't have the financial resources to be paying for utilities for a place they don't live in.

Next, I would call the broker and inform them that the buyer's furniture will be on the lawn on a particular date. Exercise care with this though as you want to follow any laws for doing so.

I'm wondering "if" by some miracle the closing takes place (and I would not bet on it), that some how lessens the legal effect of the doctored contract. By that I mean will there be less of a problem if you actually do sell to these people? Essentially by closing are you and your husband recognizing the doctored contract as legitimate? Something to ask the lawyer. Would the state board of realtors see it as less of a problem since you closed?

No matter the outcome, I would immediately contact the State Board. This broker and her manager deserve to lose their licenses and face fines. If you want to recover anything from them, you may need to sue them separately. Contact the Attorney General's office. It varies from state to state, but in my state the Board of real estate does not award citizens any money. They impose fines and control licenses. Complaints from citizens go directly to the Attorney General's office. The AG takes it to the Board. Suing the broker for any kind of damages is a separate law suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Contact the Attorney General's office. It varies from state to state, but in my state the Board of real estate does not award citizens any money. They impose fines and control licenses. Complaints from citizens go directly to the Attorney General's office. The AG takes it to the Board. Suing the broker for any kind of damages is a separate law suit.
This is in Michigan, so they wouldn't contact the Attorney General's office. They need to file a complaint with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. The Department has the power to revoke or suspend licenses, levy fines and even order restitution to an aggrieved party.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
This is in Michigan, so they wouldn't contact the Attorney General's office. They need to file a complaint with the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. The Department has the power to revoke or suspend licenses, levy fines and even order restitution to an aggrieved party.
Glad to know that. One never knows so my suggestion was intended sort of as some general knowledge in case.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:02 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
First, good to hear you're suing.

As someone else mentioned, there are also free ways to deal with this. But attorney and suing are good. The other very important ways so that this may be less likely to happen again is to file a complaint with the local board of realtors and with the state atty's office. These can bring very hefty fines and even revoking a license. In areas I'm familiar with the results can be left online indefinitely for others to check on their realtor's fines and character.

What despicable unethical corrupt characters involved.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM

20 posts, read 27,300 times
We retained a real estate attorney in an adjoining county (to avoid the "home town good Ole boy conspiracy) because it's "who you know" in that county. I've spent 3 days copying all documents we have, all correspondence including text messages, and writing a 7 page story of exactly what has transpired from 11/07/2015 through present. This atty will be present at closing (if that happens, but doesn't look good). He asked us to contact the title company and get copies of documents that will be presented at closing so that he can review them before that date. My husband called them, they have nothing but a clear title from him as we hold no mortgage, it's been paid for years ago. They have until June 15th to buy our home, if they cannot do that we have already lined up a new realtor (in another county of course) and are prepared to supervise them moving their belongings out of our home along with paying for our storage fees back to Feb. 6th, storage fees for using our home, utilities, and propane to be paid on that day. Had I known about per diem We would have tossed that in too. Then...will update on next step. Stay tuned. Thank you all for your advice, opinions, support and encouragement. I believe your educated input aided in helping us come to this decision. Sometimes we question our decisions but when you have a professional group of Americans like yourselves all saying the same thing, well that has to count for something! We must ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 AM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
This whole scenario raced past incompetence months ago.

Please, report these agents to the State. I doubt this is the first time these people have caused problems for their clients. If only someone before you had reported them, you may not be going through this now. Please do all you can to stop them from doing this to the next person.

And, please keep us posted on what happens. I'm sure that the professionals here would love to hear that one of the "bad apples" was thrown out.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
You only have a per diem when they are authorized to preoccupy the property......which I believe is one of the many issues.

Did I read correctly that they only have $500 on this contract? That comes no where close to your damages.

I am of the camp June 15 is just a date that will come and go, with no closing.

I hope your attorney walks you through filing complaints against everyone in this fiasco as a suit is pursued. There should be some kind of recall process, on licenses, like tainted food. Who let this person get a license.....what other damage did they do.....statewide recalls announced....j/k, but this is gross incompetence of such huge proportions.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Unbelievable! Just read the whole thread. Good luck to the OP! What a friggin' nightmare

I will be watching for the outcome of all this.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Unbelievable! Just read the whole thread. Good luck to the OP! What a friggin' nightmare

I will be watching for the outcome of all this.
+1, I'm speechless!

Nah.. not really..

How did you resist the urge to toss the furniture out of your house & set it on fire?

Is one of these agents/ brokers somehow related to the "buyer" (I put it in quotes, because they haven't bought anything yet?)

Old 06-10-2016, 01:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
I only read the first few posts of this thread but it sounds like a horror story. Like they are professional squatters and you will have to evict them. Also did they break in and change the locks or did the agent let them in, and also PARAGRAPHS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals