Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

My wife & I have been looking at land give or take 2-6 acres.

I ran across 4 acres I believe it was, while the land wasn't in a subdivision & had no restrictions it did say that you have to have at least a 1,400Sf house?

How can the seller tell you what you can or can't not build on your land?? As long as there are no restrictions I don't understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
More than likely, zoning requires it. If there is an HOA there may be such a requirement.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
More than likely, zoning requires it. If there is an HOA there may be such a requirement.

This was just land. A good say 25 mins from any where. No subdivision either just land.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
a deed restriction placed by the current or a former owner. as long as it doesnt discriminate against a protected class of individual

Old 06-15-2016, 09:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife & I have been looking at land give or take 2-6 acres.

I ran across 4 acres I believe it was, while the land wasn't in a subdivision & had no restrictions it did say that you have to have at least a 1,400Sf house?

How can the seller tell you what you can or can't not build on your land?? As long as there are no restrictions I don't understand this.
I live in a rural township and the township has restrictions on the minimum size of lots, what size house you can build, how many animals you can have on smaller lots, etc.

Even places "in the middle of nowhere" often have similar rules & restrictions.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
As long as there are no restrictions I don't understand this.
That IS a restriction.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:12 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Most places have some type of zoning restriction--minimum lot size, building restrictions, etc. In all likelihood, the Seller was just informing you that one of those restrictions pertained to the minimum size of the house that you could build on the property.

There are areas with no zoning restrictions, but you'll have to search for them.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a deed restriction placed by the current or a former owner. as long as it doesnt discriminate against a protected class of individual
While a Deed restriction is possible, it's highly unlikely in this case. Besides, Deed restrictions can be very difficult to enforce over time--especially when the person who placed the restriction is no longer around.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
A deed restriction is totally enforceable even if the creator of the restriction is dead. While it is likely that no one will come after a new owner for violating the restriction, he could still be sued by a neighbor or busybody who noticed and objected.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A deed restriction is totally enforceable even if the creator of the restriction is dead. While it is likely that no one will come after a new owner for violating the restriction, he could still be sued by a neighbor or busybody who noticed and objected.
With Deed restrictions there can be an issue over legal standing to enforce the restriction, there can be an issue with finding heirs who will step up to enforce it, and there can be an issue with the restriction simply being ignored.

There was a particular YMCA camp in northern Michigan that had a very strong Deed restriction on it--the camp had to remain a camp in perpetuity. Guess what the camp is like now? It's a housing subdivision.

To say that a Deed restriction is totally enforceable is, sadly, incorrect. (And I'm sure that enforcement capabilities may vary somewhat by state.) Deed restrictions have generally fallen out of favor and the preferred way to restrict property is now through conservation easements. But...that's not to say that Deed restrictions are no longer useful or oftentimes enforceable. Heck, I've imposed Deed restrictions myself. They're better than nothing, but I realize that they don't always last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals