Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times

Advertisements

We have approximately 180 homes in our 55+ (not gated) HOA subdivision in a country setting. There are maybe 4 or 5 drivers who pay no attention to the speed limit of 20 mph, or wander on the wrong side of the narrow private roads. The Board has installed stop signs at every corner -- 95% of the residents comply; but now the Board is threatening to put in speed bumps on these private roads. Residents have reported names, but if they report someone for repeated speeding, the Board says they will use the name(s) in a warning letter to the offender(s). Therefore, people are reluctant to report.

Residents are concerned about damage to their cars; walkers tripping over these 'bumps'; the huge expense of installing bumps and the expense of removing them; slowing down or damaging emergency vehicles and delivery vehicles. As far as we know, UPS and FedEx can refuse to deliver in plats that have speed bumps. There is also the concern that bumps will have a negative effect on the sale of homes. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation, or know the laws on speed bumps? Is the HOA responsible for damage to cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We have approximately 180 homes in our 55+ (not gated) HOA subdivision in a country setting. There are maybe 4 or 5 drivers who pay no attention to the speed limit of 20 mph, or wander on the wrong side of the narrow private roads. The Board has installed stop signs at every corner -- 95% of the residents comply; but now the Board is threatening to put in speed bumps on these private roads. Residents have reported names, but if they report someone for repeated speeding, the Board says they will use the name(s) in a warning letter to the offender(s). Therefore, people are reluctant to report.

Residents are concerned about damage to their cars; walkers tripping over these 'bumps'; the huge expense of installing bumps and the expense of removing them; slowing down or damaging emergency vehicles and delivery vehicles. As far as we know, UPS and FedEx can refuse to deliver in plats that have speed bumps. There is also the concern that bumps will have a negative effect on the sale of homes. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation, or know the laws on speed bumps? Is the HOA responsible for damage to cars?
I don't know the legalities as regards to damage, but I don't think there's much liability exposure, as the local government puts them in here. My city requires a petition signed by homeowners to do it, and they warn that the bumps can cause drainage issues.. in practice, living down the street from a few bumps, jerks & reckless people are still reckless.. goobers on crotch-rockets & some percentage of those in cars will still drive just as fast, then pop onto the sidewalk to avoid the bump.. others will slow to a crawl & then jump on the gas immediately after the bump, so if your place is in the middle of the block, you'll get to hear "dragstrip type" acceleration that normally only those on corners hear. I have seen an idiot rip her wheel off on the one down the street from me - she ended up prolly a hundred feet off the road, in someone's yard, so she most certainly was over double the speed limit. I don't particularly like the bumps, but they were here when i moved in, so i don't have the ability to compare/contrast..

no issues with mail, ups, fedex, ambulances, fire trucks, garbage trucks, street sweepers.. they all still go down my street.. we do have minor issues with rainwater - it doesn't rain here often, but when it does we get inch-an-hour type deluges & the speed bumps slow down drainage, so there are "ponds" prolly 6 inches deep for a while after a rain.. it is a hazard if you're doing 80 in a 25, but kind of a darwin-award type of hazard, imho.. if you're within a hundred feet of a bump, maybe plant an oak tree to keep the goobers from crashing into your living room?

Last edited by Zippyman; 06-22-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 11:51 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
The HOA would still have to adhere to the TEPPL of NC regarding traffic calming devices. Particularly being aware of NC antiquated laws on liability exposure. The HOA needs to make absolutely sure the company contracted with to design, install and identify the devices does so within the requirements of NC's regulations to limit exposure to liability.

Under normal practices, unless the traffic calming devices are installed in such a poor manner to create issues for vehicles, they seldom are the cause of a denial of service by private companies. Municipalities normally are required to provide services despite the devices.

Traffic calming devices impact on property values is directly related to the type of device and any associated mitigation. A speed bump out on a open street with the required yellow chevrons will not be as pleasing as a speed table with side landscaping along a tree lined street.

However, the real problem is you have neighbors who are not obeying the rules and more neighbors that are chicken and wont speak up; that's a community issue no speed bump will resolve.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM

^^^ Thank you Rabbrita.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
I wish speed humps weren't necessary but sometimes they are the only alternative.

I think we minimize our argument when we talk silly. Like the person who thought they'd trip over a speed bump. They are obvious. You walk over them or around them. There should be signs that they are coming up...and flyers letting people know they are there.

Also, humps are deeper and an easier rise than bumps. You might try them. But, then again, sometimes you just need the sudden height of a bump.

Some cities/counties have a traffic engineer who will advise whether public or private. Some require approval of a board of supervisors or whatever like out around Wilmington.

It is good to get as many official type quotes and pieces of advice to present to residents or the board, for one thing.

Then, facts on accidents.

There's probably a majority percentage mentioned in your covenants or bylaws for things like making changes, etc. Go by that when getting signatures on a petition.

You might explore getting one or two temporary speed bumps to see how it goes. (Maybe even a sign saying "And there will be more of these if you don't slow down and act right".

We had an issue because our board majority loved to speed. They would joke about it and the more boorish loudmouthed men would yell about it. In spite of many accidents.

At one point I noted the names of these people and said I would hand this info to anyone who was affected by speeders...the woman with a baby exiting her driveway, the older woman someone crashed into, etc.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I wish speed humps weren't necessary but sometimes they are the only alternative.

I think we minimize our argument when we talk silly. Like the person who thought they'd trip over a speed bump. They are obvious. You walk over them or around them. There should be signs that they are coming up...and flyers letting people know they are there.

Also, humps are deeper and an easier rise than bumps. You might try them. But, then again, sometimes you just need the sudden height of a bump.

Some cities/counties have a traffic engineer who will advise whether public or private. Some require approval of a board of supervisors or whatever like out around Wilmington.

It is good to get as many official type quotes and pieces of advice to present to residents or the board, for one thing.

Then, facts on accidents.

There's probably a majority percentage mentioned in your covenants or bylaws for things like making changes, etc. Go by that when getting signatures on a petition.

You might explore getting one or two temporary speed bumps to see how it goes. (Maybe even a sign saying "And there will be more of these if you don't slow down and act right".

We had an issue because our board majority loved to speed. They would joke about it and the more boorish loudmouthed men would yell about it. In spite of many accidents.

At one point I noted the names of these people and said I would hand this info to anyone who was affected by speeders...the woman with a baby exiting her driveway, the older woman someone crashed into, etc.

Thank you. That is a good idea temporarily. This is an over 55 private subdivision, and there are several elderly folks in here; they like to walk early and late in the day, and walk their dogs. We even have two people who 'walk' around with their walkers. (omg) They are not always cognizant of their surroundings at dusk and when walking in pairs etc., don't pay attention. So safe driving is also a concern for pedestrians. There are a few on the board who are guilty of speeding or driving on the wrong side of the road as well. We just don't feel that speed bumps are the answer; fines for the speeders will get their attention without spending thousands of dollars installing, and possibly uninstalling and repairing the roads.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:15 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
Perhaps you can agree on hiring a firm with a speed meter. And a certain amount over a certain speed will be charged suchandsuch. Over that another fee. etc. There are people in a 25 mph community who will go 35 (not bad), 50, even 75 plus. Then you will know the community agreed to the amount by majority; the community was informed by ...oo hail gotta go

Old 06-23-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Perhaps you can agree on hiring a firm with a speed meter. And a certain amount over a certain speed will be charged suchandsuch. Over that another fee. etc. There are people in a 25 mph community who will go 35 (not bad), 50, even 75 plus. Then you will know the community agreed to the amount by majority; the community was informed by ...oo hail gotta go

Hi Cully, yes ... good idea. We learned that the County Sheriff would come out and sit with a radar gun and monitor speeds, for a fee. The only thing at this point that will work is getting rid of the current board a/k/a good ole' boys' club and hope the offenders simply move out. We can fine until the cows come home, but damages to autos of the innocent, or some elderly issues of the speed bumps themselves is more important than fines (which we'd never be able to collect.)

Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
My first thought is during the winter, do you get enough snow that warrants a snow plow to come through your neighborhood? If so, speedbumps might cause a problem for the plows.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My first thought is during the winter, do you get enough snow that warrants a snow plow to come through your neighborhood? If so, speedbumps might cause a problem for the plows.

Yes, good thought! we do get snow here. Avg. maybe 10 to 15" per winter. Would definitely be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals