Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 AM

455 posts, read 463,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
... and I've seen the other extreme. I've been interested in a small community for more than the last year. Get email updates on every listing that hits the MLS. They are listed so low that they go within a few days. Some even hit the MLS already with a pending contract.

Hey, why should Realestate agents go for proper prices when they can go for quick turnover.

Bleah!
It's market price, not quick turnover. Your remark assumes the seller has no control. We want to exceed the client's expectations, then we'll have their repeat business and referrals. If it is a quick turnover, it's because the seller wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
... and I've seen the other extreme. I've been interested in a small community for more than the last year. Get email updates on every listing that hits the MLS. They are listed so low that they go within a few days. Some even hit the MLS already with a pending contract.

Hey, why should Realestate agents go for proper prices when they can go for quick turnover.

Bleah!
are you saying as a likely buyer that you would like to pay more for these houses than they are selling for now?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:

Bleah!
I live in a hot market. The basic rule of thumb is that it sells within the first 2-3 weeks or it takes 6+ months to sell. The difference is either the price or the state of the home. My neighbor's house was one of those that sold within 2 hours of going on market, but it was correctly priced. The house down the street with the same floor plan, priced $12,000 more, is still for sale 3 months later. Also, we run into an issue in my neighborhood of people thinking their homes on pipe stems should sell the same as the same home on the street. They forget there was a reason they were able to get it for a lower price when they purchased it. The worst for overpricing are the FSBO ones.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
We have a couple agents here who always list prices for way above market. The houses sit for months. But the agents get awards every year for having the most listings.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
homes on pipe stems...
What are homes on pipe stems?

"Joe Sixpack" as a description of the general public is a bit patronizing. Just saying.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM

I am assuming a "pipe stem" refers to the lot, whereby somehow the shape of the lot requires the house to sit well off the road, and actually perhaps behind someone. Also called a Flag Lot in some locales because it looks like a flag on a pole.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am assuming a "pipe stem" refers to the lot, whereby somehow the shape of the lot requires the house to sit well off the road, and actually perhaps behind someone. Also called a Flag Lot in some locales because it looks like a flag on a pole.
That was my guess as well. I've never heard the "pipe stem" description before but I've heard of them being called "flag lots" or "pork chop lots" in the past. "Pipe stem" would call up a similar shape visual to a flag or pork chop so likely it's the same thing.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
are you saying as a likely buyer that you would like to pay more for these houses than they are selling for now?
This condo listed for 229k. If it didn't have major defects, I would have offered 250k cash, with no contingencies (other than major defects on inspection and insufficient reserves for common elements).

The current offer is contingent on a mortgage. The listing estate agent refused to show me the unit to allow me to put in a back up offer.

Sorry, it "smells funny".

Old 07-25-2016, 03:28 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I live in a hot market. The basic rule of thumb is that it sells within the first 2-3 weeks or it takes 6+ months to sell. The difference is either the price or the state of the home. My neighbor's house was one of those that sold within 2 hours of going on market, but it was correctly priced.
Thanks for the reply. But I've followed this neighborhood for over a year. Yes there is a unit that is priced at 225k in the neighborhood that has sat on the market for over 180 days. Apples and oranges.

This unit listed as pending immediately as it hit the MLS.

Maybe you can explain why it's still on the MLS if the seller is so confident on the buyer. Does the listing agent get any benefit from having a "hot" property with a status of pending?

The nice thing about public records and the Internet is that you can see who bought it, and if there is any relationship with the RE agents. Not that it will help me out, but might confirm that I'll never deal with that listing agent, or at least get to know a "truth is stranger than fiction" story.

Last edited by upgrader; 07-25-2016 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 09:06 PM

you should inquire with their broker-in-charge then.

You should also tell (send them a letter) every owner in that small condo community that you're willing to pay them 240K, no agents involved. I can't imagine how you wouldn't get 2+ answers to that solicitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals