Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

GEICO ran some commercials featuring a fictitious "Cathy the Candid Realtor" and the character was quickly changed to "Cathy the Candid Real Estate Agent".

Only thing I can think of is that NAR made them stop; that character is now completely absent from any online reference. (Does this mean this thread is doomed?)

Who hates Cathy the Candid Realtor enough to banish her from discourse entirely? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:06 PM

19,428 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Who gives a crap? I avoid watching commercials as much as possible, Hell, we even dvr sports and the Olympics.

AND do you think tyepphe general public knows the difference between Realtor (insert trademark) and Real Estate Agent???.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
It's probably not about "hate." It's probably about the use of the word "Realtor" which is "owned" by the NAR. Never saw the commercial.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's probably not about "hate." It's probably about the use of the word "Realtor" which is "owned" by the NAR. Never saw the commercial.

You know darn well they wouldn't object if Cathy were as popular as Flo.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:44 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You know darn well they wouldn't object if Cathy were as popular as Flo.
As I understand it, NAR has to protect their rights to "REALTOR®" or else the term becomes a sort of public domain expression. It doesn't really matter whether it was used in a positive or popular way. They have to enforce their rights or lose them.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:12 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
It's because GEICO, their ad agency, and the general public don't know the difference between "realtor" and "real estate agent". The National Association of REALTORS is trying desperately to hang on the the trademark name of "Realtor®" despite the fact that popular usage still equates "realtor" to "real estate agent".

Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 PM

652 posts, read 1,303,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
As I understand it, NAR has to protect their rights to "REALTOR®" or else the term becomes a sort of public domain expression. It doesn't really matter whether it was used in a positive or popular way. They have to enforce their rights or lose them.
At one point, my work email included the word "realtor." When I switched companies, my new office manager was quick to point out that my email address was technically illegal because of the copyright issue.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,477 times
Geico may have gotten away with it if they called her Cathy the Candid Realidurrr. with an I.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's because GEICO, their ad agency, and the general public don't know the difference between "realtor" and "real estate agent". The National Association of REALTORS is trying desperately to hang on the the trademark name of "Realtor®" despite the fact that popular usage still equates "realtor" to "real estate agent".

You are correct that the general public does not know the difference between "Realtor" and "real estate agent" but I find a certain irony in this example.

One way it can be interpreted - and the way that my internal cynic interprets it - is that while NAR supposedly holds its member Realtors to high ethical standards, NAR comes across here as opposing candor and full disclosure when a Realtor is apparently not allowed to be candid, or a candid real estate agent can't be a Realtor.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 AM

43,258 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You are correct that the general public does not know the difference between "Realtor" and "real estate agent" but I find a certain irony in this example.

One way it can be interpreted - and the way that my internal cynic interprets it - is that while NAR supposedly holds its member Realtors to high ethical standards, NAR comes across here as opposing candor and full disclosure when a Realtor is apparently not allowed to be candid, or a candid real estate agent can't be a Realtor.
That is a stretch in inference, for sure.
This is merely about protection of the registered mark. NAR and state associations do the same thing when agent/members misuse the mark.
In this instance, NAR comes across as smart in business, just as Nike might if you started selling your own "Nike shoes."
Or, as Warren Buffet's folks would, if you decided to market using "Candid GEICO Agents."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals