Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times

Advertisements

We want to buy a home this year, but want to wait until we start new jobs so we can be sure of take-home pay. Is it rude to start seeing houses with an agent even if we may not buy until late this year? In particular, we want to go see a new home community, and know if we want to buy with an agent one of their houses, we have to have the agent accompany us on any visit. it's important to us to see this development now to be able to rule it out, if needed, and start looking elsewhere.

So, would it be rude to do this? We have an agent in mind that is a family friend, and she knows we have an extended time line. But, she thinks more of mid this year because that's what we said when I first e-mailed her. Should I inform her of the new time line, and then ask or an appointment to visit the development? Would it only be rude if we had no intention of buying, and as long as we plan to buy it will end up ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
As long as you are honest about your time line, and your intentions then there isn't a problem. Then it is up to the agent to decide how much time they want to spend with you.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Me too...If your needs are not outrageous we will be glad to assist. We often work clients who can't do anything for a year or more. Some won't come through for three or four.

We will be around when you are ready...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
It's a good idea to start looking early. That way you can absorb a lot more information and make better decisions.

As has already been stated, be completely up front with your realtor, and choose the one to show the homes now that you will use to make the purchase.

It's very thoughtful of you to understand and comply with the rules that require the realtor be with you when you first see the home.

It happens too often that people will use a realtor for 6 months looking at a 100 resale homes, and then they become inconsiderate of having used so much of the realtors time and they go buy a new build without the realtor.

Kudo's for you. You're doing it right.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
As stated by others it is good to get a headstart on things and being up front with your agent on a timeline. Keep in mind though that the agent will have other buyers that are more pressed for time and try to work around the agents schedule if possible.

If I were the agent and you were considerate of my time as you seem to be, I would not mind taking you out looking way before you were ready to buy.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I humbly disagree.

The inventory and prices you will be looking at will be different later in the year. I think you may run into two different scenarios. Say you find something you really like at a price you can afford, are you going to wait for it? I think you would just set yourself up for disappointment and if it were to sell to someone else, your search later in the year might be colored by trying to find the "same" home again.

If you don't find what you're looking for, you're going to be confused by all the homes you have seen and wasted a lot of time of sellers and agents.

I'd wait for a month before you're actually ready to start looking.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I humbly disagree.

The inventory and prices you will be looking at will be different later in the year. I think you may run into two different scenarios. Say you find something you really like at a price you can afford, are you going to wait for it?
I got the impression that they just want to start narrowing their search by looking at builders and neighborhoods. Surely they understand that what is on the market now is not what will be on the market in 6-9 months.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times
Thanks for the replies. Yes, we just wanted to narrow it down to areas, and see if we'd even consider the neighborhood/builder. Looks like we're on an ok path!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:50 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Will the job change, even if you're making more, affect your ability to get a mortgage? If you've been in your current jobs long and it's a buyers market now, it may be easier to get one sooner rather than later. It would at least be a good idea to consult a local agent. I'm sure if you're honest with an agent they'll help you out. Get one who can answer mortgage questions and direct to a good lender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals