Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 04:19 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times

Advertisements

When I look online at houses for sale throughout NC I notice that usually there is no mention whatsoever of the name of the subdivision, or if it is gated, of the gated community name. Often there is a sideways allusion to various amenities, such that if you are familiar with the general area you could figure it out. But it is almost as if there is either an unspoken rule or an MLS requirement that the name of the subdivision not be included. Often these are subdivisions whose name carries a bit of a cachet, meaning the status conscious might enjoy living there. So they are not dumps, but nice areas. Why is there no mention of which subdivision the house is in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Are you on real estate sites, or something else like Zillow or Trulia?

Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
interestingly and surprisingly, Realtor.com might not display subdivision. something to consider in remarks.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:47 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
Where are you looking? We recently sold and purchased in NC and found that the subdivision was included in just about every single listing. Many people search by subdivision, especially around the Raleigh/Triangle area. I still keep an eye on prices and inventory in my new and old subdivision, plus we're looking for a rental property to purchase. I checked out the sites of several different local realtors until I found one who's search features and display I really liked, including the ability to search by subdivision name. I only use sites like Zillow to find historical data and listing history on properties I've identified from a search on the realtor site.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:18 PM

Zillow and Trulia are RE sites, like it or not. But I am talking about any site the public has access to. Yes, you can search by subdivision name, if you are looking for homes in a specific subdivision. But if you do a general search, say of a zipcode or a map search, I'd say 9 times out of 10 the subdivision name is never mentioned in the description and nor in the 'details' section. Just curious why that is. And MainLineMommy, that is a good idea, just need to kiss a lot of frogs, I guess.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Zillow and Trulia are RE sites, like it or not. But I am talking about any site the public has access to. Yes, you can search by subdivision name, if you are looking for homes in a specific subdivision. But if you do a general search, say of a zipcode or a map search, I'd say 9 times out of 10 the subdivision name is never mentioned in the description and nor in the 'details' section. Just curious why that is. And MainLineMommy, that is a good idea, just need to kiss a lot of frogs, I guess.
And, Burger King makes hamburgers...
No, I mean "real" real estate sites.
Any "real" real estate site will absolutely show you the subdivision name. Subdivision name or "Not in a Subdivision" is a mandatory input field in the MLS where real estate agents enter properties. Pop sites like Z and T and Realtor.com pull and dilute information and provide limited output. Their focus is fluff advertising, not agent listing data.

You have a plethora of local choices of actual real estate sites. IDX and VOW sites that will offer you much fuller property features, free of advertising.
The choice to use pop realty sites in lieu of real estate sites will limit the data you see from the listing agent, and the failure to provide a fundamental mandatory data field output by default is just one more proof of that.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Thanks Mike. One thing I can't look at is RE sites where the photos are on a screen show timer so that they are in motion. Gives me a total headache, nausea, etc., so I always avoid those. Maybe I need to go back to using something you mention, if I find a good one, then hop back and forth to your nemesis zillow or trulia for added info.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Thanks Mike. One thing I can't look at is RE sites where the photos are on a screen show timer so that they are in motion. Gives me a total headache, nausea, etc., so I always avoid those. Maybe I need to go back to using something you mention, if I find a good one, then hop back and forth to your nemesis zillow or trulia for added info.

No "nemesis." I accept them for what they are, having evolved in my perspective over the last year or two.

I really don't care about Z and T and Realtor.com, but do think it is worth knowing them for what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals