Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 PM

473 posts, read 502,018 times

Advertisements

Sounds about right. Is dumbing down of US culture...Thank myself GREATLY everything I run into stupid people since I'm now working at home and working with small businesses mostly. NEVER GONNA WORK IN LIFE/DEATH WORK AGAIN WITH IDIOT MANAGEMENT WHO WILL GET THE LOWLY PAID EMPLOYEES SUED.

Ran into another realtor goody. Realtor gave buyer the keys and let them bash the hell out of a couple walls they didn't like so 'insurance' would cover the repair/removal. Can be a problem getting anything covered by insurance if house is sitting empty btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Real estate agents don't like it, homeowners like it and buyers don't mind until the RE agent tells them they should mind.
What possible reason would an agent have to not want a homeowner present other than the fact that it makes their client uncomfortable?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:50 PM

22 posts, read 24,029 times
We live in a very nice, quiet neighborhood in the 300k+ price range. Our neighbors are lovely. Our agent, a person I did NOT want to list with, is a family member on my husband's side. She deals in obtaining short sales and foreclosures near Disney to be eventually marketed as short term rentals. This is not her forte....not knocking her, but she's not used to marketing and selling occupied homes in this range. My husband felt a loyalty to her initially and so now it is what it is.....23 more days.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM

I would never interfere with a potential buyer. I plan to simply sit outside with our dog to allow the buyer to look freely. Should they need to see the backyard in more detail, I will happily take a walk. But, with 2/3 of our lookers having assumed somehow that this is a rental property and literally opening drawers and lounging on the furniture, I am uncomfortable leaving a supposed professional realtor with 2 hour access to our home while his clients use this as a playground.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Since this seems to be a habit with agents in your area, I think you need to insist that your agent accompany all future showings.

Also, PUT UP A SIGN that says that the property is under video surveillance. When people know that they might be observed, they tend to act with more maturity.

We have put a sign up regarding video surveillance. 2 very professional showings since then.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Don't allow anyone but your realtor to show the house and only after the potential buyer has verified funds.
This ^^^

I am glad that you filed a complaint, I only hope that you included a copy of the video. You might want to see if you can do more than just that.
BBB?? Sounds like he needs a different field of work.

If you can find out what other houses he showed, I'd take the video and show the home owners. Regardless what you can do within the law, word of mouth can often shut businesses down.

In fact. Post this on You Tube. I bet it would go viral.

Ludicrous behavior of the house shoppers and the realtor....

Last edited by JanND; 10-07-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 09:40 PM

229 posts, read 240,653 times
I was home during a showing once and heard the agent telling the people there was "free water" to the house. No water company. We were on a shared well and it was not free.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:26 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
It wasn't too long ago that asking a seller to leave their home during a showing was not common place. Our agent told us we needn't leave, stay in one location of the house without no chitchat. We sold between the one clear day in-between two back-to-back snowstorms - full price, no concessions. But I do think to be safe, best to exit the home for unfettered axcess.
I have to agree. If I put my house up for sale, I would be there, not to annoy anyone but just so the realtor and the home viewer doesn't do anything too stupid like start picking up my personal valuables and inspecting them like they are at a flea market. They are welcome to look into every room and closet. They shouldn't be opening up all my drawers in the bedroom checking out my underwear and looking inside my refrigerator to see what my leftover's look like or laying down on my bed. I'd probably just plant myself on the patio outside and stay out of everyone's way and not make conversation with anyone other than to say hello. You can be there as a homeowner, not get in the way, yet having a presence on the property would hopefully prevent stupid and unnecessary behavior like the OP experienced.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If I had a dime for every deal that a homeowner torpedoed by putting his foot in his mouth in front of the buyer, I would be a very rich man. So, I respectfully disagree with you that it's a good idea to have the homeowner present at showings. It also makes everyone else incredibly uncomfortable.
Agreed. I had a homeowner present while I was touring a home with my agent a few years back. The experience made me uncomfortable to say the least. She hovered around me like a hungry mosquito, commenting randomly about each room, the details of the house, and her personal life. My realtor disliked it as well.

Of course it's the seller's home and the seller's prerogative what their policies they choose for selling it, but as I have said before, if they are so concerned about strangers touching their things, messing up their house, and generally coming and going, they shouldn't be selling it at all. That's the way selling is. In order to sell anything, strangers must be able to view the item. As an aside, I'm skeptical of OP's story. I find it difficult to believe that two women would pretend to be lesbians in a house they are viewing just to snap selfies and their realtor would partcipate in this faux threesome

Old 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM

If I didn't have 19 minutes of video footage, I wouldn't believe this crazy story myself. Why would anyone go to the trouble to create outlandish drama for an Internet forum. I certainly am not a person who needs attention and frankly find it offensive that you would imply as much. How about I come to your house with one of my girlfriends and we can frolic and lick each other's faces all over your furniture? Would that be okay?

Once this supposed realtor, who by the way has sold a grand total of 5 properties in FL in 15 years, saw the ARLO on our entertainment center, he quickly corralled his skanks and got gone. Some perverted 50 year old realtor tried to use my house for a bang fest and got busted. The look on his face was priceless.

I find it offensive that anyone would insinuate that I would waste my time filing a false complaint. But, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals