Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,293,562 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm doing a lot of house hunting online because mostly I'm checking out areas and not ready to buy a house. I was upfront with the online agent who's been incredibly helpful btw.. and told him we might not be purchasing until next year because I have to sell first and he sent me the sweetest response telling me he'd gladly work with us however long it took. I like this agent because he said that. He's not pressuring me like some of the others I dealt with for a short time. I realize this agent is taking time out of his schedule to work with someone knowing there's no guarantee that it will pay off for him so I'd like to stick with him.

At this point I don't expect much from him other than to send me photos of homes in the area's and with the criteria I chose and some area's that he suggested also as we're mostly looking at area and not really for any particular house yet.

My question is.. Some of the homes I'm looking at are near the water. When we do start the house hunting process can I expect him to check to see if they need flood insurance or are in flood zones before we see them or is that my responsibility?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 AM

6,410 posts, read 10,224,261 times
I would expect your Realtor to do a flood zone search, but you should ask for one just in case. When I was a Realtor, my office always included a flood zone search with our listings and for our buyers. It is a simple search and should be expected in most markets.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM

8,542 posts, read 12,302,927 times
Your agent should check into flood hazard areas...but so should you.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Thank you both! As part of the criteria for a home I did mention I didn't want to be in a flood zone but I didn't want to come right and ask him if he's actually checking for that. I don't want to be a bother at this point because I feel a little guilty making him do this work with no guarantee of getting paid.

The first online agent I dealt with told me I had to do the checking but she also acted like she wasn't really interested in helping us. After sending me a list of homes, I never heard from her again anyway.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 9 days ago)

43,095 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Your agent can check.
Your surveyor can check, and that is definitive.
You can check.

We are fortunate in Wake County, NC. The County GIS has a flood plain overlay that is fairly accurate.
We also have FRIS, at www.NCFloodmaps.com that is fairly accurate.
But, get a licensed surveyor to hang his license on the flood elevation before closing.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your agent can check.
Your surveyor can check, and that is definitive.
You can check.

We are fortunate in Wake County, NC. The County GIS has a flood plain overlay that is fairly accurate.
We also have FRIS, at www.NCFloodmaps.com that is fairly accurate.
But, get a licensed surveyor to hang his license on the flood elevation before closing.
Absolutely! I will do that before I sign on the dotted line. Thank you.

We'd be paying cash so I can't even rely on the bank to insist I have flood insurance which would be a good indication that the home is in a flood zone..

Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,469,700 times
DO IT YOURSELF, just to be sure.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,728,895 times
You, as the buyer, should do your own research on that. What if the agent tells you it is not in the flood zone, and it turns out to be in one? You're going to be mad, right? Do your own research so you are the one responsible in case the information online is inaccurate.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM

15,513 posts, read 40,248,020 times
Yes your agent should look it up. Anything that is close to a flood plain, I'm with MikeJ that you should get an elevation certificate done. FEMA has an address lookup with a map overlay so you can generally see where the flood plains are.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks all. I really just wanted to know if that was something an agent would do or if it was too much work for an online agent. For now I'll trust his judgement and check out the area's he suggesting against the FEMA maps, but when it comes down to actually buying I'll check on my own and also get a licensed surveyor not only to make sure I know where my property lines are but to let me know if it's in a flood zone.

I had no idea that surveyors even checked to see if property was in a flood zone. I thought they just checked property lines so thanks for bringing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals