Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,036,832 times

Advertisements

I am selling several properties that were inherited. I had met with and choose one realtor to list the first houses and we discussed her listing the other properties when they were available to sell. She said since it was multiple properties she would reduce her commission by 1%.

Paperwork was signed for the one listing. She did view the other properties, as did other realtors, and she offered suggestions.

Now, after the one house is sold, we are not happy with her services.

What obligation do we have to her for the other properties? Do I owe her anything if I enter into listing them with someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,754,254 times
Unless you agreed to have her list the other properties in the original listing agreement (which is highly unlikely) you have no further obligation to her. I think the professional, responsible, thing for you to do is to tell her why but that's more a matter of personal style, I suppose.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Unless you agreed to have her list the other properties in the original listing agreement (which is highly unlikely) you have no further obligation to her. I think the professional, responsible, thing for you to do is to tell her why but that's more a matter of personal style, I suppose.
Thanks. And yes she will know the reason why.

There were times during the negotiations where she put the buyer on the phone with me to let the buyer pressure me into a different price prior to a signed contract or to discuss an update she wanted to the house after the price was settled. Personally I did not want direct negotiations THAT IS WHY I HAD A REALTOR. It was not comfortable for me to hear the buyer whine about what she wanted, hear her crying that she really wanted XXX when it was not in the contract, and she was not giving me anything to get XXX that had substantial cost--nearly ten thousand dollars. Plus the hassle of doing a construction type project that I did not want to take on. I felt that the realtor should have just said no--its not in the contract and not gonna happen. If she wants that upgrade she can buy it after the house is hers.

And she represented the buyer herself. I thought that she should have let someone else in her office represent the buyer as she was representing me. She seemed to push me a lot rather than pushing the buyer for me.

Guess I wanted her to be a buffer between me and the buyer and that did not happen.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 AM

43,334 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Yes, get another agent.
And, as BBronston said, let her know you were unhappy, and why, if that is your personal style. It probably should be.

Clarify with the next agent.... You want them to be your advocate and "a buffer."
And, decline dual agency.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:19 AM

8,678 posts, read 22,936,434 times
Wow. I looked at your location, halfway expecting to see Montana or South Dakota or some area with sparse populations, and it SoCal! Ta-ta to Realtor and you know what they say about the door!

Old 10-26-2016, 12:21 PM

10,969 posts, read 22,002,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, get another agent.
And, as BBronston said, let her know you were unhappy, and why, if that is your personal style. It probably should be.

Clarify with the next agent.... You want them to be your advocate and "a buffer."
And, decline dual agency.
Seems solid. And don't pick an agent just on price.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Seems solid. And don't pick an agent just on price.
yes, and she was not picked on price, but having sold many homes in the areas of these houses. Having a good relationship with lenders and being able to get the houses sold even when there are 'issues' that come up with the buyers financing.

Most realtors offered, without me asking, to reduce the commission 1-2 percent. Her one percent was pretty common and I was afraid of the 2 percent reductions--maybe less traffic due to the lower commission.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 AM

10,969 posts, read 22,002,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
yes, and she was not picked on price, but having sold many homes in the areas of these houses. Having a good relationship with lenders and being able to get the houses sold even when there are 'issues' that come up with the buyers financing.

Most realtors offered, without me asking, to reduce the commission 1-2 percent. Her one percent was pretty common and I was afraid of the 2 percent reductions--maybe less traffic due to the lower commission.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Weird that they are just giving away money without people even asking. I probably wouldn't even hire a salesperson that gives away their own money so quickly and w/o someone even asking. But that's just me.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:46 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,496,000 times
Double check your seller's representation agreement (whatever it is called there) and make sure it doesn't make ANY reference to multiple properties. That not only includes listing the property to be sold, but also in the section that discusses commission, make sure it doesn't say anything about being a reduced commission based on other listings. If it does, you could find yourself owing her more commission.

She probably didn't think that far ahead though, so my guess is that it doesn't say that. For that reason, most agents in my area will do full commission on the first one or two, and then reduce the last one. Like if she agreed to sell 3 houses at 1% each (assuming they are around the same price), then you charge full 3% on the first one and then do the other two for free. But if she didn't do that, and didn't address it in writing, then that is her problem.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:48 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,331,087 times
Get rid of her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals