Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM

808 posts, read 541,189 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of selling my 30 year old condo. It badly needs new carpeting, stove, interior painting. Some of the other owners have put trim around their doors, windows, even ceilings, and it really spruces their places up. A newly renovated condo in my building with the nice trim sold last month for $315K.

I'm thinking it might take $12K to put in new flooring, stove, and paint.

Is it a toss-up between knocking of 12 grand, and letting the new owners put in what they want, or spiff it up and list for the higher price? Is one choice fairly certain to generate a higher net return than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
It depends on what "needs" means - is stuff in decent and working condition but just old, or is it worn out, stains or bald spots in the carpet, nicks and dents on the walls, stove has only 3 working burners?

Also keep in mind that you aren't going to get 315K-12K= 303K if you sell a condo in poor condition. Flippers don't get back just the amount they put into a property, they make a profit over and above that, or they wouldn't do it. You are going to get the pre-flip price and the buyer who puts in the work will get the benefit of any increase in value.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM

251 posts, read 376,022 times
It's not as easy as "knocking off 12 grand". You mentioned the fixed up ones are going for $315k but what are the non-renovated ones going for? My guess would be around $20-30k less than $315k

Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I'm thinking of selling my 30 year old condo.
It badly needs new carpeting, stove, interior painting.
Shampoo the carpet.
Wash the walls and windows.
Touch up the trim paint some as needed.
Install a very basic stove... scratch & dent or even a used one.

All told... about $1000.
Then list it.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Shampoo the carpet.
Wash the walls and windows.
Touch up the trim paint some as needed.
Install a very basic stove... scratch & dent or even a used one.

All told... about $1000.
Then list it.
this

Oh, and buy some flowers for the patio, table, counter etc. $12

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of selling my 30 year old condo. It badly needs new carpeting, stove, interior painting. Some of the other owners have put trim around their doors, windows, even ceilings, and it really spruces their places up. A newly renovated condo in my building with the nice trim sold last month for $315K.

Is it a toss-up between knocking of 12 grand, and letting the new owners put in what they want, or spiff it up and list for the higher price? Is one choice fairly certain to generate a higher net return than the other?
Spending $12K to make an extra $12K = zero, doesn't make sense or cents.

What a condo in your building sold does not mean yours will sell for the same price, yours is located in a different area that theirs, maybe even a different floor, one may be closer to the entrance or get more light, or closer to an elevator.

I wouldn't even spend $12K to potentially make $20K unless it's guaranteed and paid up front.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
The buyers looking at the tired/original condos are an entirely different demographic than those buying fresh/clean/rehabbed units - or they're "setting" for an unrehabbed unit & they'll be looking to make you pay for the rehab + a discount for time & trouble. What costs a flipper $12k will likely require a $20-$30k "discount".

Take an honest look at unrehabbed/tired units that have actually sold & you'll see the discount likely exceeds the cost by a fairly large margin.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The buyers looking at the tired/original condos are an entirely different demographic than those buying fresh/clean/rehabbed units - or they're "setting" for an unrehabbed unit & they'll be looking to make you pay for the rehab + a discount for time & trouble. What costs a flipper $12k will likely require a $20-$30k "discount".

Take an honest look at unrehabbed/tired units that have actually sold & you'll see the discount likely exceeds the cost by a fairly large margin.
and what costs a flipper $12K would cost you $25K to hire a professional to do it.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and what costs a flipper $12K would cost you $25K to hire a professional to do it.

Not at all - flippers hire professionals to do repairs, they just don't hire the guys handing out brochures at Costco or the Depot (middlemen = cost). With a little careful shopping, you can do the same thing.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:

Based on info provided and the price range I lean towards the renovations you suggested. I don't agree with the "shampoo the carpet and go the cheap route" advice. Sophisticated buyers see right through cheap work and cut corners.

If it needs 12k worth of work buyers will want a 24k discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals