Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times

Advertisements

There are different ways to gauge whether a price is excessive or not and different perspectives.

From an agent's point of view, they have expenses, they have other things that they could be doing with their time that might make them more money, etc. This is reflected in the price. Not much different than a painter who might quote an apparent high price to paint a bathroom because he needs to travel to the job, take time quoting it and dealing with the customer (somewhat fixed costs no matter the size of the job) and he might be taking time out of bigger jobs that he could be doing or even time taken to chase new big jobs (so 'opportunity cost'). These are all very valid points but that's the agent's perspective, which is mainly what you're getting here.

From the client's perspective (which is the only perspective that should matter to you), you need to look at the value you got from it and what other ways you could have done this. Only you can answer that and in the end it may have been very good value to you (perhaps you sold it much faster, got a higher price, etc) or maybe it was poor value (e.g. you might have been able to do it with a couple of hours of lawyer time saving you loads of money).

This is not a criticism but the agents here would be much better off answering this question from YOUR perspective rather than from their own. Obviously the cost base of something has a strong influence on the price of it but it's not a valid way to justify that price to the customer. That's just like someone asking if a house is overpriced and the sales price being justified by the fact that the owner paid much than the asking price 10 years ago, owes more on it than the asking price, and put 100k of decorating into it... and is moving to a more expensive area so needs the money for his next house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Raw land and lower prices are difference than percentages of regular houses at higher prices. The amounts seem reasonable, otherwise it's not worth the agent's time and energy to make less when they still have to put insurance onto the transaction and pay all their fees. There is a cost to doing business...
I agree. I charge a $3000 minimum including the co-broke so any time I get into those lower price points I just charge a 3k flat rate.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Back in 2014, we listed a dump of a property located in the rough side of town. List price was $20k, and finally sold 480 days later for $9,300. The agreed upon total commission was $2k, and that's what we got at closing.

That buyer flipped the house and sold it in 2 months for $30k. The buyer's agent got $750. I don't know the listing commission, since it was handled by another brokerage, but if the comm was split 50/50, then it was a 5% total comm.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 PM

125 posts, read 81,391 times
We have land for sale for 125K which I am going to lower it to 99K in a few months since it will be one year by then. And into long term cap rates. So my concern was the percentage it took to sell this land might be the same percentage will be deducted from our 99K land. But that doesn't sound like the case here.

That was my concern, really and it was addressed. Thank you everyone

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
it sounds like you need to have an agreement on the rate before you sign, and then double-check when you sign.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it sounds like you need to have an agreement on the rate before you sign, and then double-check when you sign.
Yes good thinking. My guess is the typical 10% commission on land would apply to the 99K price but when we lower it in 2 months, I'll ask our Realtor.Land probably won't sell before that, it is over priced which is a blessing. Don't want it to sell quicker than a year or taxes will be too high

And if I insist on using a certain title company used to buy the property and sell this property, their rates are pretty standard and set.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:48 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Yes good thinking. My guess is the typical 10% commission on land would apply to the 99K price but when we lower it in 2 months, I'll ask our Realtor.Land probably won't sell before that, it is over priced which is a blessing. Don't want it to sell quicker than a year or taxes will be too high

And if I insist on using a certain title company used to buy the property and sell this property, their rates are pretty standard and set.
Don't fall into the belief that there is a "typical" 10% commission on land. Commissions are negotiable. Shop around.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Don't fall into the belief that there is a "typical" 10% commission on land. Commissions are negotiable. Shop around.
When I re-list it, I will ask her what her commission is,
If it is too crazy, I will shop around. Thanks for your input

Old 08-09-2017, 11:48 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
FWIW, I spend much more time answering calls and emails from potential buyers on raw land listings than I do for house listings.

Not complaining, I've retained many clients in the process. But for some reason far more buyers who are calling about raw land don't (yet) have an agent. Most people who are looking at homes, do have an agent, so I get agent calls instead.

Just wondering if other agents have the same experience.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
FWIW, I spend much more time answering calls and emails from potential buyers on raw land listings than I do for house listings.

Not complaining, I've retained many clients in the process. But for some reason far more buyers who are calling about raw land don't (yet) have an agent. Most people who are looking at homes, do have an agent, so I get agent calls instead.

Just wondering if other agents have the same experience.
I got a call on a vacant lot from a woman who wanted to build a yurt.

I referred her to the Town planning department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals