Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

The house next door listed 3 weeks ago.

The first weekend they had an open house and the realtor put up a sign saying "Open House Sunday 1-4". The sign is still up, and so people have come by on Sundays expecting to find an open house. They seem annoyed when they find the house locked up, and twice people have knocked on my door to see if I knew anything. It's funny, in a way, but starting to seem like it might be a problem.

In addition, about a week ago someone showing the house left some lights on. They have been on 24/7 since then. It looks really bad, especially since they're on all night long. Anyone driving by can see this is a vacant house because there are no curtains in the window. We've had some late night petty crime in the neighborhood lately so it makes me nervous to see the house lit up like this all night, night after night. fortunately, nothing has happened, but I'll be relieved when those lights get turned off.

I called the agent on the sign and left a friendly message telling her about the sign and the lights. I thought that would solve the problem, but a few days have gone by and nothing has changed. I guess she might be on vacation.

Do you think I should do anything more, or just mind my own business? I don't want to get the realtor in trouble by calling her boss, but at the same time if the house gets broken into because it's a lit up vacant house, will that hurt my ability to sell my own house in a few months? Am I over reacting? As agents, what would you like someone to do if this was one of your listings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I would call the agent's broker. The sign should have the brokerage firm's number on it. I would be annoyed if people were knocking on my door asking about the non-existent open house.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The sign is still up, and so people have come by on Sundays expecting to find an open house. They seem annoyed when they find the house locked up, and twice people have knocked on my door to see if I knew anything.

In addition, about a week ago someone showing the house left some lights on. They have been on 24/7 since then. It looks really bad, especially since they're on all night long. Anyone driving by can see this is a vacant house because there are no curtains in the window.
I would keep calling, and escalate to a higher level. If I were selling a house, I would be furious to know that people could see into my vacant house all night long, not to mention the electricity bill.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I would yank the sign out and put it on the side of the house with face turned against the house.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:55 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I would call the agent's broker. The sign should have the brokerage firm's number on it. I would be annoyed if people were knocking on my door asking about the non-existent open house.
Sounds like a deadbeat agent. Call the broker if you want and then move on with your life. The seller picked the agent so let the seller suffer with the consequences of hiring and not following with said deadbeat agent. If you know the owner I'd call them over the BIC fwiw.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
The agent appears to be one of those agents who never answers the phone but somehow manages to get business anyway... Go figure!

If you want to help the buyers out there, you could pull the open house sign and either lay it where it is now, or lean it against the side of the house, whichever would look better to you, in the neighborhood.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
if you contacted the agent and got no response, then you can certainly call the main # for their brokerage and ask to speak to the BIC. The FIRM represents that Seller, not just the individual agent.

Unless of course it's one of the many pervasive one-hat outfits (not named MikeJ) that really have no business being in the business. Then you'd have to contact your neighbor for sure.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
All's well. Shortly after I posted that, someone came by to take down the sign and turn off the lights. They put up an "Under Contract" sign, which might explain why they waited a few days. At any rate, glad to see attention has been paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals