Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

Sell is a verb.
Sale is a noun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I read some of it what I thought answered my questions here. After going though it, my wife reminded me that this house was bought though a trust WE didn't pay for it ourselves. Might have to talk to a real estate lawyer.
Oops...

This is a perfect example of why nobody here (particularly RE professionals who should know better) should be even attempting to advise people on an internet forum. Trust ownership often involves very different tax treatment. It's simply not possible for a professional to get enough information to give responsible advice on an internet forum. That's why real professionals who take giving advice seriously do not do this.

People here (including RE professionals who should know better) have already advised you confidently and definitively on tax exclusions, etc that very well may not apply to trust owned properties (it depends on the structure and type of trust and many other things).

Yes, contact a proper advisor to discuss and read official IRS publications. Do not take tax, legal or other advice on an internet forum. IRS docs often can be complex but they are worded properly and professionally.

Tax is all about details and there are very few absolutes (every rule as a mountain of exceptions) so when you see people saying definitively how something works for taxes when they have so little info, you should immediately discredit it. Also, tax laws change all the time and RE agents are not qualified to give tax advice, nor do they have the requirement to keep up to date like tax advisors do.

Don't forget about any state taxes that might also apply to this transaction.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you're right - we should tell all posters that they must spell out all the details of their situation before addressing them. I cannot imagine how this seemingly innocuous OP wasn't divined to be not just a simple homeownership/sale question, but a much more complex "in a trust" issue.

However, it hasn't been stated but I will - I have never seen a case where, in the state of NC (where the OP is located per his user profile) that when $ changes hands at closing, the state of NC collects $2/$1000 of sale price as "revenue stamps" or "excise tax" - call it what you will. So an $80K sale price = $160 of revenue stamps

Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I have never seen a case where, in the state of NC (where the OP is located per his user profile) that when $ changes hands at closing, the state of NC collects $2/$1000 of sale price as "revenue stamps" or "excise tax" - call it what you will. So an $80K sale price = $160 of revenue stamps
You guys get off cheap. We are $3.70/1000 for deed stamps.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 PM

everything's better in NC!!

Our property taxes only run ~$1/100 in Wake County - home of Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Wake Forest!

Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Sell is a verb.
Sale is a noun.

This I know too much going on of late.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
you're right - we should tell all posters that they must spell out all the details of their situation before addressing them. I cannot imagine how this seemingly innocuous OP wasn't divined to be not just a simple homeownership/sale question, but a much more complex "in a trust" issue.

However, it hasn't been stated but I will - I have never seen a case where, in the state of NC (where the OP is located per his user profile) that when $ changes hands at closing, the state of NC collects $2/$1000 of sale price as "revenue stamps" or "excise tax" - call it what you will. So an $80K sale price = $160 of revenue stamps

Sorry as I said above there is a lot going on here with us. I do know that the house is no longer in the trust it is in my name and my wife's. The trust is being dissolved here soon hopefully before the holidays hit everyone but as of now the house is in our names. Being that it was bought with money from a trust I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not will have to find out when the time comes.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sorry as I said above there is a lot going on here with us. I do know that the house is no longer in the trust it is in my name and my wife's. The trust is being dissolved here soon hopefully before the holidays hit everyone but as of now the house is in our names. Being that it was bought with money from a trust I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not will have to find out when the time comes.
That wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at a particular poster that likes to snipe at agents from the weeds. Good luck on your sale.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:41 PM

yes, good luck with the sale. and what I said holds true in NC - there's an excise tax/revenue stamps of $2/1000.

Generally, if you've owned it less than 2 years and don't have an IRS-forgiving reason to sell, you pay ordinary income on the gain, not the total. Your accountant - or the one you hire - can explain what counts towards gain beyond initial purchase and current sale price.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at a particular poster that likes to snipe at agents from the weeds. Good luck on your sale.
Let's just focus on the content of posts and avoid personal jabs like this or commenting on what you think I like to do. That will make it a nicer experience for everyone. If you disagree with my post and you think that RE professionals should, in internet forums, be advising members of the public on taxation, then do speak up and make your case for that position. Otherwise, a nice, polite "I agree" would be welcome or just remain silent.

Quote:
yes, good luck with the sale. and what I said holds true in NC - there's an excise tax/revenue stamps of $2/1000.

Generally, if you've owned it less than 2 years and don't have an IRS-forgiving reason to sell, you pay ordinary income on the gain, not the total. Your accountant - or the one you hire - can explain what counts towards gain beyond initial purchase and current sale price.
Don't forget about any state income taxes that may also apply. I believe some counties in NC may also have other land transfer fees. But just speak to a proper advisor to get the correct information and I suggest that you do not take tax advice or even tax information from anyone here because it's likely to be wrong or not applied correctly to your situation. No advice is better than misleading advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals