Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

I've never had a transaction where one party lived in a foreign country. So, I can't tell you what to do. However, it sounds like everything will definitely be OK if you go to the embassy or things might be OK if you use a local notary. If it was me (especially if I was retired and didn't have to go to work), I would take a day and make the drive to the embassy because it's always better to be safe than sorry as the old saying goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Maybe you can sign a power of attorney ( or you may already have one) and let that person, in the US sign your documents for you?
The only problem with that is the POA would need to be notarized as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:52 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Well, update. Our title co. in Utah said a local notary is OK. Problem was, local notary did not want to put their seal to a document in English that they could not understand. So our translator translated all the documents and just today we got them all notarized and sent back to the states by DHL. Only takes a week, LOL. So, we hope this will suffice!

Point of interest is that notaries here hold immense power, and are required to be lawyers. Nothing like the situation in the States. So it was a lawyer who inspected our papers and put his stamp on them. 5 signatures cost $70, and another $60 for the translation, and $55 for DHL. That last wasn't bad since Fed-Ex charged $127 to send a document from TX to here. Weird.

Thanks to all for your input. And as stated before, a POA would also require a notarized signature, which would be the same thing all over again!

Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've never had a transaction where one party lived in a foreign country. So, I can't tell you what to do. However, it sounds like everything will definitely be OK if you go to the embassy or things might be OK if you use a local notary. If it was me (especially if I was retired and didn't have to go to work), I would take a day and make the drive to the embassy because it's always better to be safe than sorry as the old saying goes.

Well, if was just a matter of hopping in the car for a nice day-drive road trip, sure. But we have no car, it's a dangerous winding road over the Andes with crazy, unaware drivers who pass on blind curves. The notary at the consulate requires an appt. and time became an issue this close to closing. They also charge $50 PER signature, hiring car and driver would be around $300....of course we'd do it if we had to, but if the title co. said OK to a local notary, why not believe them? They better know what they're talking about...

Old 10-27-2017, 02:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, if was just a matter of hopping in the car for a nice day-drive road trip, sure. But we have no car, it's a dangerous winding road over the Andes with crazy, unaware drivers who pass on blind curves. The notary at the consulate requires an appt. and time became an issue this close to closing. They also charge $50 PER signature, hiring car and driver would be around $300....of course we'd do it if we had to, but if the title co. said OK to a local notary, why not believe them? They better know what they're talking about...
It's all about what your local county will accept, so if the local county recorder is satisfied with a local international notary then it should be fine.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:36 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:

True, however, that' the first question we ask. If the OP would have given POA before he left the States, he would be covered. If you had a seller leaving, wouldn'the that be your first question? Even if he discussed listing the home, but waited for a hypothetical tenant to leave before selling. Get the POA, the requirements for a seller are not nearly as restrictive as a buyer's. Any reputable title company could have drawn it up.

For buyers, if addressed in the beginning, also easy to handle. Consulate's move around - the absentee buyer would have 30+ days to coordinate catching up with the guy with the seal in whatever country.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Quote:

Yes it would, but maybe at a lower level than the deed, so a local notary may be more acceptable. Or maybe the POA document is shorter than a bunch of selling documents, so cheaper to translate, but they already worked this out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals