Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:56 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

LOL at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Obviously (hopefully), asking for "highest and best" is not the same as an auction. Auctioneers can auction real estate in Michigan without a real estate license, so they don't have anything to complain about.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
??

It would be a very severe material misrepresentation for a Listing Agent to claim offers in hand that did not exist.
I agree... but the truth is, we don't know. All I'm saying is with calls for "highest and best", we take it on faith there are other offers and GUESS what a good highest offer should be, hopefully without either underbidding by a fraction or overbidding and throwing money away. It has made more than a few clients suspicious and frustrated. A live auction where everyone knows where they stand would be far better (for the buyer) IMHO.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 11-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: clarity...

Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I agree... but the truth is, we don't know. All I'm saying is with calls for "highest and best", we take it on faith there are other offers and GUESS what a good highest offer should be, hopefully without either underbidding by a fraction or overbidding and throwing money away. It has made more than a few clients suspicious and frustrated. A live auction where everyone knows where they stand would be far better (for the buyer) IMHO.
I don't think I have been mislead on multiple offer existence for many years.
All I have to do is think of the properties where my buyers don't get the deal, and someone else wraps it up at the same time, and those stories are legion...

Any buyer who wants an auction should go to an auction. It isn't like they don't exist.

It is impossible for a buyer to overbid, unless they over-value. Why would a buyer bid more than what they think a property is worth to them?

Old 11-06-2017, 01:30 PM

Heh... if only it were so simple Mike.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Perhaps it depends on the disclosure of other offers.

In NC, we have to have the sellers permission to disclose the existence (and while 99.9% of sellers WOULD want it, there's no signature spot or document for this - hello NCREC Forms Committee!!!)

When we disclose, if asked we must also tell them if any come from our brokerage (dual agency).

Now, I would say that if I ask a listing agent "how many" they better be accurate in whatever they represent to me. I've certainly gotten "at least 5" before, so there better be 5 or more. And we're required to keep a copy of all offers we submit or receive ...so if I decide to call BS on your numbers Mr Shady Agent and call your BIC, you better have those copies.

It IS a problem though .... I know for a fact one associated agent lied to my clients who attended an open house at the existence of "multiple offers and more on the way!" When I called the listing agent, it was "we have one, and other have expressed interest."

One thing we SHOULD certainly hit people over the head with more is the importance of ethics and material facts, especially as concerns this situation.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Heh... if only it were so simple Mike.
What is the complication? Agents? That is fixable.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What is the complication? Agents? That is fixable.
If only value were so easy to determine, and buyers and sellers always arrived at the same number.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
If only value were so easy to determine, and buyers and sellers always arrived at the same number.
Irrelevant, right?

Smart buyers don't pay more than the value they perceive.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Colorado seller listing contracts say:"When asked, Broker Will Will Not disclose to prospective buyers and cooperating brokers the existence of offers on the Property and whether the offers were obtained by Broker, a broker within Brokerage Firm or by another broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals