Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:21 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Proving again the veracity of Oliver Wendell Holmes' claim that "No Generalization is Worth a Damn..."
Or that there are three degrees of falsehood, "Fibs, Lies, and Statistics"

2017 NAR REALTOR® Member Profile.

The most interesting point is that only a minority of REALTOR® members are affiliated with franchise firms.
The majority are at indy firms.
Of course, that point should be considered in light of the many members who hold licenses and NAR membership for affiliation purposes, not for brokerage purposes.
I.e., the flipper, or home inspector, or pest control contractor, etc, who wants MLS access.

And, also:
"For the fourth year in a row, the difficulty finding the right property has surpassed the difficulty in obtaining mortgage financing as the most cited reason limiting potential clients."
That's what I see locally.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-01-2018 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
I would be interested in seeing the demographics pages, and how numbers are changing with time. Here in our area there appear to be more non-native born agents taking up the profession and I would like to see if that is true. Why do I say that? Based on going to open houses and having the agents speak with imperfect English. Not that there is anything wrong with that, as Jerry Seinfeld might say. Just changing times if true.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would be interested in seeing the demographics pages, and how numbers are changing with time. Here in our area there appear to be more non-native born agents taking up the profession and I would like to see if that is true. Why do I say that? Based on going to open houses and having the agents speak with imperfect English. Not that there is anything wrong with that, as Jerry Seinfeld might say. Just changing times if true.
Sheesh.
I just realized that the PDF is limited to the first 7 pages and summary.
I will see if I can get the whole report linked.

It is very very easy to get a license and to achieve BIC eligibility in North Carolina. The low bar to entry opens the door for people with basic skills challenges.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:16 AM

Meh.
It's $15 to download.

I'm not curious enough.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:16 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sheesh.
I just realized that the PDF is limited to the first 7 pages and summary.
I will see if I can get the whole report linked.

It is very very easy to get a license and to achieve BIC eligibility in North Carolina. The low bar to entry opens the door for people with basic skills challenges.
Yeah, all they did was delete the pages beyond the summary. They didn't even bother to name the this summary document with a different name on the title page (e.g. 'Highlights...') and they kept the table of contents for the full document. Both inevitably leading to confusion.

This is very sloppy for professional research overseen by professional PHD researchers. While most 'normal people' would probably just shrug over this, professional researchers know that their work is often referenced (by the press, in court cases, by other researchers, by students, etc, etc) and document management is fundamental to publishing research - i.e. you don't have two different documents with the same name floating around.

yes, I realize that the URL/file name has 'highlights' in the name.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
fortunately, all the parties involved in producing the report are listed on page 2. I'm sure they'd like to hear from you.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
fortunately, all the parties involved in producing the report are listed on page 2. I'm sure they'd like to hear from you.
Yes, but I think it would be better coming from you. Your dues pay for this work and you pay the salaries of the people who produce it so if I were you I would demand much higher professional standards of the organization that represents me. I'm sure you care about this as much as I do.

As I have seen laudable efforts to conduct yourself with higher standards of professionalism, I think you should also demand the same for your peers and your wider profession. Let's make 2018 the year of professionalism across the industry. Let's have the courage to eradicate the pervasive sloppiness that surrounds us and demand more of ourselves and of real estate professionals all around. Improving is hard but let's make the effort in 2018!

Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
At least this should serve as fair warning to those who may want to jump into the business to get rich quick.

"Fifty-six percent of members who have two years or less experience made less than $10,000 in 2016..."

"REALTORS® with two years or less experience...had a median gross income of $8,930..."

"The median business expenses were $6,000 in 2016..."

Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
At least this should serve as fair warning to those who may want to jump into the business to get rich quick.

"Fifty-six percent of members who have two years or less experience made less than $10,000 in 2016..."

"REALTORS® with two years or less experience...had a median gross income of $8,930..."

"The median business expenses were $6,000 in 2016..."
The thing is, Jack, I joined NAR before I ever had a client, before I ever closed a transaction.
As do many people.

I don't know how these stats ever account for total newbies, without tilting the numbers severely.

Or, for licensed assistants, or team members working under a rainmaker who claims credit for all closed transactions.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
this profile, just like the annual survey of buyers/sellers, comes out in a summary form. and then there's the "paid version" if you want the full report. I feel pretty confident this summary tells me all I need to know - and all the media cares about to print in news articles - about NAR members without spending extra money. I always pay the extra $ for the buyer/seller survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals