Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I doubt that agents are avoiding her agent in mass. Do you have a reason to believe this?

I think you're asking the wrong question. 'Boycott' is a strong word and suggests something that's definitive in nature. The answers that you're getting are basically that an agent won't refuse to show a home that their buyer insists on seeing.

You're not paying all that commission for your home simply not to be boycotted. Your paying for agents to be actively bringing clients to your home. If there are any reasons her home or her agent are getting put to the back of the line, agent's behavior will be much more subtle than 'boycott' suggests.

But I would look at other reasons first and get the agent's perspective.
No it's just people being people, not liking him for whatever reason.
She is getting with him this afternoon to aggressively reduce price and we shall see if she at least gets more showings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
When we sold the In-Laws place in Florida, we listed with the agent they used to buy the place.
It was in a retirement community and there were at least 30 other similar homes for sale.

At the suggestion of the agent we offered a 1K bonus to the buyers agent.

It was priced in line with the others, although it was much more updated, and was under contract in 4 days.
I must admit I am as well as my sis totally naive in the real estate game, why would you do this? Buyers agent is already getting a percent of commission? It almost comes off as a bribe to push your place. Like I said naive in this so just asking.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

You're not paying all that commission for your home simply not to be boycotted. Your paying for agents to be actively bringing clients to your home.....
Wrong again. Agents are paid by helping their client close on the home they want to purchase. Agents aren't paid to bring clients to a home. Agents can't make people look at a home they don't want to see. In fact agents that try that usually get fired or set straight.

If the home is priced well buyers will want to come look at it. If they like what they see in person they will make an offer. If inspections and the loan go well they close on the home and the agent gets paid.

Why do you continually dabble in something you know so little about and give these people incorrect information?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Wrong again. Agents are paid by helping their client close on the home they want to purchase. Agents aren't paid to bring clients to a home. Agents can't make people look at a home they don't want to see. In fact agents that try that usually get fired or set straight.

If the home is priced well buyers will want to come look at it. If they like what they see in person they will make an offer. If inspections and the loan go well they close on the home and the agent gets paid.

Why do you continually dabble in something you know so little about and give these people incorrect information?
After reading through the comments this is what I think the issue may be, she has a lot of similar competition from what I can see just by looking at zillow and realtor.

She has already contacted agent to reduce price aggressively. Hopefully that results in more showings as you are not going to get an offer if no one is looking.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,028,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I must admit I am as well as my sis totally naive in the real estate game, why would you do this? Buyers agent is already getting a percent of commission? It almost comes off as a bribe to push your place. Like I said naive in this so just asking.
We hadn't been involved in a real estate transaction for about 20 years and this agent (who my M-I-L loved) said that the 1K would make her house more attractive.
The house was in Florida and none of us lived there, our wish was to get rid of the house as quickly as possible and put any proceeds toward nursing home care.

I, too, thought it was kinda extortion but husband and his sibs just wanted to get rid of it as fast as possible. The agent said the "bonus" would help, I don't know if that was true but the house was under contract in 4 days and the 30+ other homes for sale sat there.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We hadn't been involved in a real estate transaction for about 20 years and this agent (who my M-I-L loved) said that the 1K would make her house more attractive.
The house was in Florida and none of us lived there, our wish was to get rid of the house as quickly as possible and put any proceeds toward nursing home care.

I, too, thought it was kinda extortion but husband and his sibs just wanted to get rid of it as fast as possible. The agent said the "bonus" would help, I don't know if that was true but the house was under contract in 4 days and the 30+ other homes for sale sat there.
Hmm that does make me think bribe, she is dealing with older people and more than likely really "pushed" this house, if the other ones just sat, or perhaps this one was more updated. Glad it sold quick.

I don't think this would sit well with my sister, she is reducing and hopefully the showings come.

But thanks for explaining

Old 01-05-2018, 09:18 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,582,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Whoa...didn't realize I said anything controversial. Yikes, nobody said anything about agents forcing people to look at homes that they don't want to see. I have no idea why you started thinking like that.

From a seller's perspective, she is paying commission, including buyer's agent commission to get the house sold. This includes the agent marketing the home and maximizing exposure to other agents who have clients whose needs align with the home. Nothing controversial there but I'm sure you'll find something to disagree with. I think everyone knows that sales people are paid when they sell things...not by the number of unqualified buyers that they 'force' to see products that they are never going to buy.

Why do you continue to attack consumers on forums. If you have such a problem with consumers and members of the public, I think you're in the wrong line of work. Let the record show that I said something perfectly reasonable and in no way controversial and yet you still attacked me.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmm that does make me think bribe, she is dealing with older people and more than likely really "pushed" this house, if the other ones just sat, or perhaps this one was more updated. Glad it sold quick.

I don't think this would sit well with my sister, she is reducing and hopefully the showings come.

But thanks for explaining
A split commission is more than fair. I wouldn't worry about that part, I don't think bonuses are necessary or helpful.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:49 AM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times
I am really tired of EVERY thread here getting taken over by petty personal bickering.

Regular folk come here to ask real estate questions and get a range of answers... not to see their question just become new fuel in an ongoing food fight.

Actually... I'm not even sure what's flying in here is food...

Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM

As I as well as my sis are no where up to speed on real estate, hence the question which in hindsight is a bit ridiculous but told her I would ask to see if that scenario was even feasible, I thank you all for your responses.

She will start by going the way of reducing her price and see if the showings pick up.

At the time she listed RE said everything was perfect, he used a professional for photos, so they are good.

She just wants showings that hopefully will result in an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals