Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

as noted, I delete about 100 emails a day. This would fall in there.

Find the top 10 agents in your area. Ask for 5 minutes of their time. Ask them if they use professionals, and what they pay. Ask them about turnaround time. See if it's a fit, or not.

Offer to visit one of their listings, to take your own sample photos. That way, they can compare your work. If they like it, offer that one for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
On other possible variation on the above theme: if talking to the big shots doesn't work at first, because they all have people they use, and know.... then try talking to all the brand new agents, who DON'T have a full contact list yet, and be prepared to offer special billing or rates for them... can you wait till close to be paid? Because a new agent has a lot of costs and no income yet. That would be helpful.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM

776 posts, read 745,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Never spam people.
Sending unsolicited email is spamming.
I really don't see this as any different than a real estate agent going after expired listings and FSBO or sending me a postcard wanting to sell my house. My whole goal is to hit a few agents that have an immediate need for a photographer. One of the things I have learned is that when people search for a real estate photographer a vast majority of them don't know how to find one. If you don't need or want a photographer it wouldn't matter if I met you in person and gave you a $20 bill. I'm not selling illegal products or services. Most of my best customers have come from some sort of "spamming". Whether it be a cold call, random LinkedIn invitation or Facebook contact. The big companies do it ant it works! All I'm asking is what in an email is most appealing to real estate agents. I'm not advocating sending an email every day or every week.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I really don't see this as any different than a real estate agent going after expired listings and FSBO or sending me a postcard wanting to sell my house. My whole goal is to hit a few agents that have an immediate need for a photographer. One of the things I have learned is that when people search for a real estate photographer a vast majority of them don't know how to find one. If you don't need or want a photographer it wouldn't matter if I met you in person and gave you a $20 bill. I'm not selling illegal products or services. Most of my best customers have come from some sort of "spamming". Whether it be a cold call, random LinkedIn invitation or Facebook contact. The big companies do it ant it works! All I'm asking is what in an email is most appealing to real estate agents. I'm not advocating sending an email every day or every week.
You see at least 6 agents here who don't open spam and don't want spam.
"It works" is one of the most specious rationalizations in business and marketing.

We use email for communication purposes. Spam detracts immensely from the process.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I wouldn't mind getting an email from a photographer if it was specific to me regarding a listing I have. I wouldn't regard that as SPAM, personally. I think a successful email would probably have an offer that includes examples of your photographs compared to the non-professional photos originally posted by the agent, and some info regarding how quickly listings have gone under contract following the date of the new photos being posted to MLS. IOW, as an example....agent X had photos she took herself posted on the MLS, had the listing for 30 days with only 3 showings, she then asked me to take professional photos and she had 10 showings and 2 offers in the following 7 days. You get the idea.

The next thing that would get my attention would be a discount. Let's say a typical shoot is $150. If they respond to your email within a few days (or whatever) you'll do the first job for $99 (or whatever). Remember, your goal is to demonstrate your ability and value so agents will call you for the next one.

The third thing that you might think about is offering an additional something as an incentive to the seller in conjunction with the discount to the agent. One reason an agent might be resistant to bringing in a pro weeks after starting the listing is that it implies (perhaps) that the agent should have gone to a pro in the first place (i.e. an admission of something negative) but, if you also offered something as a benefit to the seller, the decision to bring you in late in the game could be presented as taking advantage of a limited time offer for the seller. Just a thought.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:27 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I know a woman who is working in that field. She showed up at a Real Estate Photography class with the direct intention of meeting some agents, and she did. I gave her the number of a good agent friend of mine and she now has her for a client. You need to get face to face with potential clients, email spam just won't work. I emailed an agent for some sales info, took two days to get a reply, she had to go through some 1500 emails to get to mine, mostly spam. Put together a portfolio, get a brochure, get the name of the broker of record at a sales office, anything to get an edge. IMHO, do what others have suggested, offer a free shoot or one highly discounted, to break the ice. I'm hoping to get into that biz in a few years, and that's my plan of attack.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
None of us can claim to represent the opinions nor operating methods of ALL agents/Realtors. Nevertheless, you came here and posted the topic, and within 12 hours you were provided opinions by 8 agents that use photographic services.

Not one of us said that a broadcast email was the way to go.

If you choose to dispute us, then I wish you luck with the agents in your market. But you asked a ? of professionals and were given answers. A variety of responses. If you choose to take the "
But I disagree with you because you do the same thing!" tact ... you will get what you deserve.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM

174 posts, read 170,144 times
What everyone is saying is that agents get LITERALLY TONS of emails telling us that whatever service or product the sender is peddling is going to help our business, and there probably isn't a magic content tip we could give you that would keep the majority of recipients from just deleting it. There are just too many to weed through. That said, you might get a few hits if you try & keep it relevant & are a good communicator.

If you're already in the business, maybe ask your existing clients if they think their offices might be willing to let you give a short presentation at a sales meeting. Not all offices might do that, but ours does, and if you're endorsed by someone they know it may help.

I'm an agent, but started as a photographer (and still do it for a few clients), and I knocked on office doors, leaving behind business cards & brochures offering the first shoot free or discounted, and definitely got some call-backs with that approach. If you're good, and good to work with, you just need that first opportunity with an agent and they'll likely continue to use you.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 5,156 times
The one demonstration that stands out in my mind as the most memorable was by a photographer who came to a training meeting and showed amateur pics of a listing then professional pics she took of the same listing. It didn't look like the same house! The amateur pics made the listing look like a dump. What an impression!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
For me that’s been the biggest waste of money and time. Realtors are never there. I’ve had a couple of realtors give me a call 8 months later because they saw my card while cleaning out the mail room. It doesn’t work that well here.
Dropping off cards and doing random pop ins is a complete waste of time and no one here is advocating that. Talk to the broker/manager and try to speak at the office meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We are very selective in who we let talk in our sales meetings so be prepared for a No Thanks in requesting to speak.
Sometimes I wonder if there is any vetting process at all in my office in terms of who gets to do a presentation and who does not.

Quote:
As my mother always said "if everyone else was jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge would you do it too?" Just because others do it doesn't make it effective and if those folks are in a different profession than you then it becomes even less relevant.

Face-to-face is what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licensedninja View Post
The one demonstration that stands out in my mind as the most memorable was by a photographer who came to a training meeting and showed amateur pics of a listing then professional pics she took of the same listing. It didn't look like the same house! The amateur pics made the listing look like a dump. What an impression!
I have a page in my listing presentation comparing and contrasting some photos from homes I've sold that were listed previously. The difference can be quite startling for someone who hasn't been in the real estate market in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals