Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I had to pay for a background check prior to getting my initial license and a new one every two years when I renew my Maine state license. Those who don't answer this truthfully, "have you ever been convicted of any court of any offense" on their application are usually caught and pay a fine starting at $200.
And what happens if they get caught can they still work as a realtor?
What would you do in my situation knowing what I know now? Should I report it or should I just let it be. The discussion we have in our family is right now is am I responsible if this person does the same thing again? To me I feel guilty if this person does it again and takes something from a clients home and could have done something to prevent it. I have to say that this person has been in my home many, many times and even alone when we were away and i never had anything missing. Lately the person has changed a lot due to financial problems and is probable losing his/her home to foreclosure and because of the tip the other realtor gave me, I found out the same things happened years and years ago and this person was in the same finacial problems. I was once told by a female police officer who was single that before she ever date a person she checks this person out on the public records/criminal records and she told me to do so. So it is my mistake i didn't do it, but this was a friend not a date, but I have told my kids that it might be good in the future to use this knowledge and use the options the government is giving the public. In europe it is not allowed and no records are open to the public. Even sexual offenders are kept secret as where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
It's not very clear what your relationship is with this realtor, or exactly how you are related to this situation.

If I am reading your post correctly, you and another realtor have been gossiping about your friend, the ex-con realtor. Are you asking whether your duty is to rat out your friend and cause your friend to lose his real estate license and membership to the NAR?
We basicly were discussing my property and who has been a listing agent in the past. Right now i have it rented out and that when this realtor mentioned it. This realtor didn't say anything bad but just told me to check it out on line. Maybe it is almost similar but after all if I had not looked on the websites I still wouldn't have none.

You can call it rat it out as it is but I guess people who are responding to the thread of another person about what will happen if a home is showed by a realtor and a buyer and something got stolen, who is responsible?, is hoping to get a trustful realtor in his home. Isn't it better for the real estate market if you know you can trust a realtor. I never had the feeling I couldn't trust a realtor in my home, only got mad if they didn't lock the doors after leaving which is showing lack of respect to other peoples property. That I'm mostly not so positive about some realtors had never anything to do with trust. In Europe where I come from is way more criminality regarding to getting your purse stolen, etc. Basicly I always trusted a realtor, not so much the buyers since you don't know anything about them and recently 2 realtors have been killed so it can be dangerous.
If you are a realtor shouldn't you be mad if a realtor is a felon and on probation and if it would go public (which I never will do, only maybe decide to report to the real estate ass.) that the public will look even more sceptical towards this profession?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
And what happens if they get caught can they still work as a realtor?
What would you do in my situation knowing what I know now?
It depends on the offense, some crimes will disqualify you and some will not.

bentlebee, I don't read most of your posts, they are too long, rambling and filled with grammatical errors, not to mention all you seem to do is bash REALTORS. I read and post on these boards to help others and learn; all you seem to do is put other people down to make yourself look better. From the other posters, I can see that many agree with me, your act is growing tired. I wouldn't have noticed this except that you quoted me. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you're dealing with now.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Maybe the truth is hard to take for a lot of realtors on this forum. Gladly there are others who like to hear some feedback and something with it. That is why a lot of stores do surveys to hear what the issues are and work towards better situations.
I was once invited into the office of a owner/broker who had 350 people working for him. He had 2 lawyers present and we spoke about certain issues in the industry. He was glad to hear certain things so they could work on making things better. Some of you probable will say this is a ly but again I have proof of this meeting. I have owned succesful businesses and so far are investing in proerties with my own money and started to work for a boss, now I can live of this but are not rich but feel rich because of the freedom and fun that I have. I see other people complain and less people give positive feedback so it seems a lot could change. Maybe the realtors who take things in and try to change them are the once not writing here but making money and making things better for their business.

Sorry for the grammar misstakes but I guess my English is way better than most of you will do in my language.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
I apologize, I didn't know English was not your first language.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM

No problem. I'm only here since 8 years, but I will try to improve.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe the truth is hard to take for a lot of realtors on this forum. Gladly there are others who like to hear some feedback and something with it. That is why a lot of stores do surveys to hear what the issues are and work towards better situations.
I was once invited into the office of a owner/broker who had 350 people working for him. He had 2 lawyers present and we spoke about certain issues in the industry. He was glad to hear certain things so they could work on making things better. Some of you probable will say this is a ly but again I have proof of this meeting. I have owned succesful businesses and so far are investing in proerties with my own money and started to work for a boss, now I can live of this but are not rich but feel rich because of the freedom and fun that I have. I see other people complain and less people give positive feedback so it seems a lot could change. Maybe the realtors who take things in and try to change them are the once not writing here but making money and making things better for their business.

Sorry for the grammar misstakes but I guess my English is way better than most of you will do in my language.
You are pushing this issue in the wrong place. Realtors have no say in the qualifications required for an RE Agent. That matter lies with State RE Agencies and State Legislatures.

I personally believe the requirements to be an RE Agent are absurd. However they are the ones that the brokerages desire. Go complain to your legislators of the problem. But spares us...we know.

In general felonies involving moral turpritude are grounds for refusing a license. If one has lived an exemplary life for 20 years after a bad check felony I suspect the Commission may allow your licensing...and that causes me little pain. A fresh fraud conviction is almost certainly grounds for pulling a ticket.

Nothing wrong with reporting it by the way. It is a public service for which one should be commended.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 AM

739 posts, read 2,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
if you have been convicted of a homicide, you are not necessary precluded from licensure
Maybe that's one way to make a "killing" in real estate? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Old 03-23-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Maybe that's one way to make a "killing" in real estate? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Or giving birth for another in real estate.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times
You are in Florida. When we first file for our license we have finger prints taken and a background check. After that, there is nothing that comes directly from me. I looked in the regulations but they are very long and I couldn't find if I had a responsibility to report to the commission if I have been convicted of anything since licensure. I have no idea how they keep track of what happens with a person once they already have a license if it's outside of the real estate realm. Unless it's reported to the DPBR/FREC they would have no idea. So, if you are really concerned about it, report it to the state agency. The loyalty issue regarding your 'friend' is a personal one and I wouldn't even attempt to influence you one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals