Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:31 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm sorry, but this directly has nothing to do with Redfin ...

Unfortunately, if I had $100 for every time a Listing Agent knew good and well my clients were making an offer, but instead accepted a different offer without informing me there was even an offer in play, then I would have a larger savings account, and many fewer Buyers wondering WTF those agents/sellers were thinking.

It's rather amazing that in many cases, you can make it so the Seller doesn't see the feedback, and even sometimes the appointments being set.

It's gotten to the point that I have to tell Buyers "I don't know this listing agent. They could have taken an offer 5 minutes ago and I wouldn't know."

On Redfin, I've certainly had times where their agents "check all the boxes" of the base score of representation, but they didn't sell the house or get the house.
I have no issues with Redfin.
No particular problems.

If only the "Full Service" agents were better behaved, then Redfin might compare poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:38 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I would love to take a side on this... but I have never called a Redfin agent.

I don't remember ever being ignored by an agent if I have told them I am preparing an offer for them.

That does usually get their attention, even the ones who don't normally answer the phone.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:55 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
We will simply have to disagree. Yes it happens with other agents and should not. But in the case of Redfin it is systematic. The agent involved for instance makes it clear she does not communicate on the weekend. Will return calls on Monday. This began at 3PM on Friday and was the reason we warned that we might not get a call back. Tried different ways all leading to her phone mail.

If you read Redfin reviews you will find it heavily among the standard complaints.

The buyers involved made other offers and will end up with a place in the end.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We will simply have to disagree. Yes it happens with other agents and should not. But in the case of Redfin it is systematic. The agent involved for instance makes it clear she does not communicate on the weekend. Will return calls on Monday. This began at 3PM on Friday and was the reason we warned that we might not get a call back. Tried different ways all leading to her phone mail.

If you read Redfin reviews you will find it heavily among the standard complaints.

While nobody can succeed 100% of the time, if I were a consumer paying several 1000s of dollars in buyer's agent fees, I would want someone whose calls aren't ignored by listing agents and someone who knows how to get around roadblocks to get stuff done.

Obviously sometimes in any job, roadblocks do prove to be immovable but this is a failure that you need to accept accountability for. If you're a buyer's agent, it's your job to know your way around Redfin and get stuff done there. I think you should be trying to figure out how to be more successful with Redfin rather than to come on to a public forum and complain that an agent has not returned your calls. It doesn't make yourself look very good if I'm perfectly honest.

Sorry to be so blunt but that's how I see it as a consumer.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
While nobody can succeed 100% of the time, if I were a consumer paying several 1000s of dollars in buyer's agent fees, I would want someone whose calls aren't ignored by listing agents and someone who knows how to get around roadblocks to get stuff done.

Obviously sometimes in any job, roadblocks do prove to be immovable but this is a failure that you need to accept accountability for. If you're a buyer's agent, it's your job to know your way around Redfin and get stuff done there. I think you should be trying to figure out how to be more successful with Redfin rather than to come on to a public forum and complain that an agent has not returned your calls. It doesn't make yourself look very good if I'm perfectly honest.

Sorry to be so blunt but that's how I see it as a consumer.
You are not blunt just wrong as you normally are. . There was no way around the Redfin block. The client decided what offers to make at 3AM Saturday morning. They received the needed forms electronically at around 6:30AM. They returned them around 10AM. The listing went contingent at 8AM.

And the way to be successful with Redfin is to make sure the public knows that their model may well cost the client significant money...

Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,740 times
Redfin is bad IMO but this isn't uncommon. Different reasons sometimes but same outcome.

There are a couple brokerages here that, as a rule, pay their agents more for selling a house to their own broker.

Howard Hanna does this, huge in this region. Berkshire does this as well.

So if a house goes up in a popular area, and 20 people want to see it..only the 3 represented by that broker will get to see it and have a shot.

Taking money out of the sellers pocket to put in their brokers pocket, totally unethical but it is a cornerstone of their business model.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:35 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:

I don't think you can say this is universally true of Redfin agents though. I emailed a Redfin agent last Friday morning to look at a house later that day. Not only did she respond within 45 minutes in the affirmative, but she also added a second house to the viewing schedule on request. I was very pleased by her quick response. I've since given her excellent feedback on Redfin's system and plan to use the same agent to look at any other houses I may want to see. I've had the same enthusiastic response from other redfin agents I've used in the past as well.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,116 times
Quote:
You are not blunt just wrong as you normally are. . There was no way around the Redfin block. The client decided what offers to make at 3AM Saturday morning. They received the needed forms electronically at around 6:30AM. They returned them around 10AM. The listing went contingent at 8AM.

And the way to be successful with Redfin is to make sure the public knows that their model may well cost the client significant money...
Well I'm not going to argue about this specific situation. As I said, we all lose sometimes, no matter what we do. And sometimes it's because we didn't do our best or because it was simply impossible. Or maybe we could have done more groundwork to be one step ahead of the game.

I disagree with you that the way to be successful with Redfin is to badmouth them to the public. That's pretty sad. You're now talking about their model being the problem but before you were talking about a single Redfin agent who didn't return your calls. Which is it? You're just sounding random now. And that's not professional.

Maybe Redfin's model is costing consumers money or maybe not. But if you're going to make such claims as a professional, you should back them up. Although Redfin often takes heat here, it's good to see that almost nobody is willing to jump on your bandwagon which amounts to little more than a complaint that you lost a house because someone didn't return your call. Or because they accepted an offer before you could get your client's offer in. Maybe Redfin is awful and evil but you've failed to articulate your case here. Agents deal with these same problems here every day with agents across a spectrum of brokers.

If you're a Realtor, I suggest that you retract your comments unless you can back them up properly. Otherwise you may fall foul of article 15.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Well I'm not going to argue about this specific situation. As I said, we all lose sometimes, no matter what we do. And sometimes it's because we didn't do our best or because it was simply impossible. Or maybe we could have done more groundwork to be one step ahead of the game.

I disagree with you that the way to be successful with Redfin is to badmouth them to the public. That's pretty sad. You're now talking about their model being the problem but before you were talking about a single Redfin agent who didn't return your calls. Which is it? You're just sounding random now. And that's not professional.

Maybe Redfin's model is costing consumers money or maybe not. But if you're going to make such claims as a professional, you should back them up. Although Redfin often takes heat here, it's good to see that almost nobody is willing to jump on your bandwagon which amounts to little more than a complaint that you lost a house because someone didn't return your call. Or because they accepted an offer before you could get your client's offer in. Maybe Redfin is awful and evil but you've failed to articulate your case here. Agents deal with these same problems here every day with agents across a spectrum of brokers.

If you're a Realtor, I suggest that you retract your comments unless you can back them up properly. Otherwise you may fall foul of article 15.
Sorry the charge against Redfin is not the behavior of a single agent. It is that they are structured in a way that makes such behavior very likely. That is no individual is responsible for the transaction. The place is organized in a decentralized way where varying individuals perform specific tasks. In this case the agent who front the transaction was a listing agent who works 5 days 9 to 5 and transfers the task of actually selling the place to others in different groups.. That includes other independent contractors who are paid fixed fees for showing etc. So there is no one doing anything other than playing cog in a mechanism. No one is looking out for the good of the seller. Do your thing - no need to worry about how it impacts the client.

And it is not badmouthing. It is simply pointing out the shortcomings of their structure and process. The client gets lost in the process of saving the client a little money.

And what I am doing here is pointing out a defect in Redfin by way of a concrete example. it really happened. And my defense is and will continue to be it is the truth.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Get used to it, sellers don't want to have to pay 6% when the listing agent barely does any work, plus half the time the buyers check out houses online and thru street views on Google so they know what they want and don't want. Gone are the days where an agent has to take you to a house you've never seen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals