Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 06:08 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times

Advertisements

We, the sellers, supposedly have a real estate closing next week and have not heard a word from the title company. We don't even know who the title company is. I thought it was normal for the title company to report to the sellers any judgments or liens against the property before closing so that these things can be straightened out.

Our real estate agent says: "the title company doesn't talk to people; they only tweet or text". We have signed a bunch of emails, and one even had at the bottom a sentence that they do not going to engage in long conversations. They have given her some paperwork concerning liens, but didn't sort anything out; apparently they are expecting her to sort it out.

Thoughts, opinions, advice, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 07:19 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
What state are you in?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Pennsylvania

Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
We, the sellers, supposedly have a real estate closing next week and have not heard a word from the title company. We don't even know who the title company is. I thought it was normal for the title company to report to the sellers any judgments or liens against the property before closing so that these things can be straightened out.

Our real estate agent says: "the title company doesn't talk to people; they only tweet or text". We have signed a bunch of emails, and one even had at the bottom a sentence that they do not going to engage in long conversations. They have given her some paperwork concerning liens, but didn't sort anything out; apparently they are expecting her to sort it out.

I'd have a hard time feeling comfortable with a title company that only tweets or texts. Are you supposed to go to a psychic to find out where to go for closing?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
We, the sellers, supposedly have a real estate closing next week
and have not heard a word from the title company. We don't even know who the title company is.
Our real estate agent says: "the title company doesn't talk to people; they only tweet or text".

What does your attorney say?
And why isn't YOUR's doing the closing?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, become a nuisance if you have to.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
My question: do you expect to have a lien, judgment, or overdue taxes? If you do anticipate that, then move to satisfy it before the closing, with receipts.

If you don't anticipate any, then there is generally nothing to worry about. Unknown liens, etc. sometimes show up, but not often in my experience. The single time one of my clients had a lien was for a few hundred dollars for some unpaid business tax. Title company informed me very specifically what the lien was for and how to remove it in a way that would satisfy the title company. I informed the sellers. They paid the taxes, sent me the receipt, and I sent it to the title company.

Why haven't you seen the paperwork regarding liens that you say your agent has? Why have you asked her for the name of the title company? Certainly she knows.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What does your attorney say?
And why isn't YOUR's doing the closing?
We are not using an attorney. Yes, I know we should have hired one, as I have advised so many to do over the years, but we weren't anticipating problems and we really, REALLY want to sell this house. So no matter what an attorney may advise, we are going through with it, almost at all costs. Buy it is looking more and more like we might be getting screwed by the HOA at closing.

In Pennsylvania, as in a lot of states, Maryland included, the buyer gets to choose the title company for closing.

And by the way, our selling agent is an attorney, a real estate broker, and has had a real estate license for probably thirty years.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:

As a seller wouldn't you know if there are liens or judgements against your property? They would have to be reported to you, that's my understanding.

As a buyer I was able to communicate with my title company when an issue came up by phone and email.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
We are not using an attorney. Yes, I know we should have hired one, as I have advised so many to do over the years, but we weren't anticipating problems and we really, REALLY want to sell this house. So no matter what an attorney may advise, we are going through with it, almost at all costs. Buy it is looking more and more like we might be getting screwed by the HOA at closing.

In Pennsylvania, as in a lot of states, Maryland included, the buyer gets to choose the title company for closing.

And by the way, our selling agent is an attorney, a real estate broker, and has had a real estate license for probably thirty years.
I dont practice RE in either of those states, but I find it very hard to believe that you as the seller would be forced into using a title company chosen by the buyer. You can hop on board with their chosen company, to maybe streamline things, but there really isn't much extra work (for either buyer or seller) if you do a split settlement w/ 2 companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals